Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
When Walleyes aren't biting, why not try for Muskie? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-06-2021, 04:03 PM
Keeper

I'll try to be a NICE guy. Over 50 years of fishing walleye and knowing NUMEROUS musky fisherman it amazes me that when I walk by their boats and see their huge lures; I can remember only ONE time when i saw a lure with BARBLESS hooks. To help protect the hard work of Hugh Becker, Jack Burns and the many others that gave us the gifts we have today why do musky fisherman use barbed hooks and then point fingers and blame.

Last edited by waldowillie; 12-06-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2021, 05:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldowillie View Post
I'll try to be a NICE guy. Over 50 years of fishing walleye and knowing NUMEROUS musky fisherman it amazes me that when I walk by their boats and see their huge lures; I can remember only ONE time when i saw a lure with BARBLESS hooks. To help protect the hard work of Hugh Becker, Jack Burns and the many others that gave us the gifts we have today why do musky fisherman use barbed hooks and then point fingers and blame.
pulling 2 10" jakes on lotw and on the 1st fish it was a nightmare getting the hooks out, i set with that fish for musta been a good 20 minutes before he bolted off, then got some pliers and pinched down the barbs.. after the 2nd fish i said the h#ll with this and removed 2 outa 3 trebles and just left the tail hook for the next 2 fish!! if the musky lovers are using the big cranks with 3 trebles ? their tearing up fish!!
Old 12-06-2021, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

I probably have 60% of my barbs bent down. But I'm trolling and generally fishing for Pike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2021, 07:53 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1269 View Post
I'm going to be that guy...sorry...

Do all of us that target muskies a favor and do not go after them without the proper equipment, this includes large net, hook cutters, pliers etc.... Those fish are in there and other metro lakes due to the time, money and efforts of many anglers and attempting to catch therm deliberately without the proper gear is a huge sign of disrespect to all those that have worked so hard to make the program work as well as it does.... If you tie into one by accident its totally different story but its hugely irresponsible to target them without the proper gear....
I have quite a few thoughts regarding your comment, but I will be respectful to this Walleye board.

I would love to show you all my "hook cutters, pliers etc" friend. I have jaw openers, I have needle noses that will pull your McDonalds food out of your fat stomach. I have gloves that even your wife couldn't bite through.

You don't think I was "prepared?"

You think my post was some how disrespectful? Dude, I've fished respectfully since I was 8 years old, using a one horse 1950's engine to cross a 700 acre lake (it took an hour) to fish for large mouths, and I did that for years.

I was telling a light-hearted story about how I attempted to catch a Northern or Muskie, then caught one. I treated that Muskie with the utmost respect...he was in the water in less than a minute.

I don't speak for all, but dude, golf might be a better sport for you - they're all pretentious a-holes like you.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:08 AM
Minnow

Walleye have not been known to be a major forage species for muskie, even in lakes with abundant walleye populations. Although muskie will certainly eat walleye occasionally, the numbers eaten are minor compared to other natural mortality and angler harvest. Muskie fish is indeed edible, but do remember about its high mercury levels and do not consume it more than once per month.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:30 AM
Keeper

Gosh, turns out that all posters thus far are concerned and try to practice the safe release of fish that they land but do not intend to keep and this is true of the vast majority of people on WC; they care and that is good. We need to concentrate better on the damage to a fish that we intend to release before it gets in the net especially if your intent is always release. I have no problem if you chose hook cutters over 3/0 barbless treble hooks but I am glad I am not the musky or your scalp. Some of my best friends are musky fisherman and they understand that there will always be novices but the novice is rarely on WC.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouge View Post
. With my wife using our big walleye net (very small for a Muskie),.
This is alll I need to know you were not equipped to target musky. Sorry if I hit a nerve but the truth always comes out. Peace out brother, I have said all I need to....
Old 12-07-2021, 05:49 PM
Keeper

Quote:
This is alll I need to know you were not equipped to target musky. Sorry if I hit a nerve but the truth always comes out. Peace out brother, I have said all I need to....
So what size net is needed Mojo?? Let the truth come out because 13 months ago you posted:

...they just don't make a net large enough for musky fishing....

So why do you target walleye with musky baits with huge hooks Mojo yet you complain about a multi-species fisherman's net ?? Let the truth come out because 7 years ago you posted:

I caught a 28 inch fish on Cedar in ONT. I was cathing walleyes off some shore structure snap jigging and I kept seeing a big arc on my Bird so I dropped a Bondy bait (musky lure) down and started jigging. 5 minutes lter the 28 incher crushed the bondy bait which is about 8 inches long and 6 ozs...

Be kind to our 28 inch walleye and consider going barbless.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:17 PM
Minnow

Quote:
1) I'm not your brother, nor your friend. I find you to be someone I would never associate with. Your posts drip with narcissism and arrogance.

2) We have a 36" net, it was plenty big for the Muskie we caught. Why? Because we had it in the boat before it touched the bottom of the net (in the water).

I caught it on a single octopus hook, in the lip. I'm no sadist (like you) that throws out a 4-5 treble hook bucktail that requires cutters. Your fish die a slow death, you just don't see it.

Last edited by Juls; 12-08-2021 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:58 PM
Wallhanger

omg only a 36" net? dude your destroying the whole eco system.. this is a joke