Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Not the ideal way to end my season - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2021, 10:37 AM
Minnow

Default Not the ideal way to end my season

I got out Sunday on a local lake and eventually got pushed off by high winds and snow.

We should have stayed out. Headed home before the plows got out, took what I thought would be a safe route home, and skated down a small hill into a T intersection on sheet ice.

I managed to get the truck and boat sideways hoping that once I hit the other road I could get enough traction to keep from hitting the ditch. I got out clean with my truck (flat tire only) but the boat trailer did not make it out clean.

Trailer is probably kaput. Tire blew when it hit ditch, boat slid over about a foot. The fender bracket clipped a tree, sliding the the axel back on the right side.

Boat has a dent in the side and one where it slid into the tire on the hull, but neither is severe enough to keep it off the water. Motor was untouched.

Fortunately my partner had Triple A and it covered the tow. (I had roadside as well, so either way it gets covered)

I am probably looking for a trailer for a Lund 1675 Explorer SS (pending the quote and insurance fight) if anyone has one used (or a suggestion), let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer_kaput.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	549.8 KB
ID:	330702  

Last edited by Coach Rob; 12-06-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Unlucky and lucky at the same time. Ill bet you're glad its behind you now.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:32 AM
Minnow

Default I was lucky as ****

No complaints about how it turned out.

No injuries.

My truck missed a tree by inches and boke off a couple smaller branches, the boat did not fly off the trailer (one strap snapped, but the other held).

I am not looking forward to dealing with the insurance company and repair companies, but OH well. Such is life.

My partner, who would have brought his Ranger if the brakes had not locked up on his last trip, does now think it may not be worth it going out in conditions like that, but unless we remind each other next year, we will probably do it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2021, 11:43 AM
Keeper

If the insurance replaces the trailer , now would be a great time to upgrade with LED lights, load guides, galvanized finish and bigger tires if possible.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:56 AM
Wallhanger

Glad you got through it safely!

I fish all winter or until the big lake freezes and tend to drive in a lot of crappy conditions. I now run 4 studded tires on my trailer after a very scary slide down a mountain where the boat was beating me down at one point. It makes a huge difference! The tire shop looked at me funny when I went in to order them but I wouldn’t do what I do without them, they make that much of a difference in slippery conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2021, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

I don't know why you use the language:
"fight with my insurance company."

Rather, drop the boat off at the repair shop and let the insurance claim adjuster know where your dropped it off.

Have them call you when the trailer has been replaced or repaired and the boat has been repaired.

Go, over, pay your deductible and move on.

You hired the insurance company to protect you in case of a loss.

You have a loss, so the insurance company can stand up and pay the bill.

----------------------------------------
BUT - this could be a bit tricky, since you were the one driving the vehicle and it was caused by the rig hitting an immovable object when you were at the wheel.

But, good luck and let us all know how it turns out.

You might want to pull out your boat insurance policy and check for coverage, as well as exclusions.

A few details about boat insurance and coverage:

https://www.allstate.com/tr/boat-ins...-accident.aspx
Old 12-06-2021, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

BUT - this could be a bit tricky, since you were the one driving the vehicle and it was caused by the rig hitting an immovable object when you were at the wheel.
I think maybe, you answered your own question....

To the OP,
Sorry it wasn't the ending you envisioned, and I'm glad you were not hurt. The rest is... just part of life's little inconveniences, and it can all be fixed. Just did two vehicles this summer....they got crunches that were not my fault, and had to be fixed. They got fixed in a timely fashion. No complaints here.

I hope yours goes as smoothly...good luck!
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
www.JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com
Old 12-06-2021, 01:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

Rather, drop the boat off at the repair shop and let the insurance claim adjuster know where your dropped it off.

Have them call you when the trailer has been replaced or repaired and the boat has been repaired.

Go, over, pay your deductible and move on.

You hired the insurance company to protect you in case of a loss.

You have a loss, so the insurance company can stand up and pay the bill.

But, good luck and let us all know how it turns out.

You might want to pull out your boat insurance policy and check for coverage, as well as exclusions.

A few details about boat insurance and coverage:

https://www.allstate.com/tr/boat-ins...-accident.aspx

So you don’t know why it would be a fight, then give him a reason why it could be a fight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2021, 02:00 PM
Keeper

Ooof. Condolences on that; I'm glad you were not hurt. Still, that sort of damage will definitely ruin your weekend. Hull is ok? No punctures at all?
Old 12-06-2021, 06:48 PM
Keeper

I can say that in Ohio insurance companies are more willing to keep the insured party out of the equation and surrogate between themselves. In our experience this is not something that ends well nor in a timely manner. My wife's car was totaled and now more than four years later, we are still dealing with the blow back. Litigation is still pending,against our insurance company. We settled with the other insurance company three years ago. However our insurance company wrote a check for far less than what the vehicle was worth before the accident and calling it a fair offer. We were advised to not switch companies until the suit is settled. We did switch attorneys and added the delay of settlement to the new lawsuits. Good luck to you.