Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mouse threat -- advice please... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 12-22-2019, 09:52 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Keep a dozen traps around the perimeter of the boat and trailer baited with peanut butter.

They will come. They will die, Rebait. They will come, they will die. Rebait.

Mice can fit through a hole about 1/2 the size of a dime. So, in general, if the mice want into a boat, they will easily get into a boat. It seems that they can climb up the side of a smooth piece of steel. I have no idea how, but they seem to manage.

Especially in the fall, I always keep traps baited around the entrances to the garage and any place near the boat.

I also keep bags of moth balls in every compartment in the boat.

Doing this keeps most of the mice away.

But, another thing that I did when we had a motor home and that was to always leave a couple of boxes of open kleenex in the RV. That way, if mice did get in, and once every few years, it would seem that some would get in; they would have easily accessible bedding material. But, we never left any food or water in the RV. So, although we never had any damage from the mice a couple of times we could tell that they had been in the camper and had pulled dead mice out of the entrance, where they apparently tried to get back out after essentially starving to death. Although we would have to wash every thing due to the mice that got in a couple of times, we never had anything eaten up, because we provided the easily accessible nesting material for them.

Better to give them easily accessible nesting material rather than having them chew up wires and cushions as they have been wont to do in other climes.

Take care
That may work for you, but itís possibly the worst advice ever. Putting out baited traps brings em in.....you may get some in the traps, but their friends and family will now be there. Put out nesting material? I laughed so hard I blew my morning coffee out my nose. Donít give em anything they need or want and theyíll go elsewhere. Repellent is the answer. The best thing Iíve found so far is Cab Fresh. But each to their own...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019, 10:10 PM
Wallhanger

Default Mouse threat -- advice please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoGuy View Post
That may work for you, but itís possibly the worst advice ever. Putting out baited traps brings em in.....you may get some in the traps, but their friends and family will now be there. Put out nesting material? I laughed so hard I blew my morning coffee out my nose. Donít give em anything they need or want and theyíll go elsewhere. Repellent is the answer. The best thing Iíve found so far is Cab Fresh. But each to their own...

I wouldnít say he is completely wrong on the killing then part, just the way he went about it. Either poison or build a couple of five gallon bucket traps. They work amazing and will catch mice until the pile is big enough for them to jump out. Put about 5 inches of water in the bottom if you want them dead, put about 1 inch of water if you want to remove them and release (if youíre setting it where it will freeze, just coat bottom with layer of cooking or motor oil). In an old barn we once caught 27 mice in a bucket trap in a single night.

I would put the poison or bucket traps in the proximity of the boat, but not near it enough that they could use the boat as means of access. If the boat is clean, they will find the baited bucket trap or poison long before they hit the boat.

Also, Iíve seen many places give advice on the nesting material route. Itís not what I would do, but Iíve seen a lot of info on stuffing toilet paper tubes with cotton rope and cotton balls outside of the area you are trying to protect. In theory they retrieve the items and take them back to where they (pests) originated from. Who knows?

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by WallyWarrior; 12-22-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:09 AM
Wallhanger

Go down to your local SPCA and pick up a Tom Cat and make your boat it's home........
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-23-2019, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

I go with REWís advice and **** and load about half a dozen conventional traps around the perimeter of my house whenever I get a mice infestation. I donít use poison. After killing several dozen mice in the vicinity, and trapping activity subsides, an infestation subsides for awhile, too.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:46 PM
Wallhanger

I have had good luck with moth balls. I set a cereal bowl full on each side...just ahead of the splash pan on the rear deck of the boat. Then I put my towing cover on. .

Not a pleasant smell, but goes away quickly once the boat is uncovered.
Each fall I use fresh Moth balls.

This has worked for me for many years.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Minnow

I had mice dine on my landing net. Since then I make sure it’s clean and hang it from the garage rafters. Not taking chances, I even hang my rain suit up there during the winter.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Go down to your local SPCA and pick up a Tom Cat and make your boat it's home........
and then they will piss all over in ur boat
Old 12-23-2019, 05:10 PM
Keeper

put fresh cab in the tractor and still had mice in it
Old 12-23-2019, 08:18 PM
Wallhanger

This year, the mice have completely ignored the traps with peanut butter bait in my pole barn,including the bucket traps. Apparently, my mice don't like Jif. I also set unbaited traps in the barn corners on top of the bottom horizontal treated timbers. I have caught many mice in those traps as they run along the timber. I use the traps with the big yellow bait pans.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:14 AM
Keeper

Default Snakes

Snakes dude. They work great. Let them go around your boat / house. Put some sheets of plywood face down on the ground, put leaves over them, they will stay. And the mice will be gone. I do it currently and have done it in the past. Gopher snakes are great to have around. Dont have to worry about poisons, dead mice in hollow cavities in your boat that you can never get to. Use nature.