Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Brake controller? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 07-31-2021, 08:45 PM
Keeper

Default Brake controller?

I have a used truck with a brake controller, but I don’t think it works. I say this because when I activate it from the drivers seat, I don’t feel drag on the trailer. How do I troubleshoot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2021, 09:21 PM
Minnow

Are you sure the brakes on the trailer work? If you don't know for sure about that I would verify they are functioning correctly by hooking to a tow vehicle with a known good brake controller before digging into possible issues with the truck.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:24 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV0801 View Post
Are you sure the brakes on the trailer work? If you don't know for sure about that I would verify they are functioning correctly by hooking to a tow vehicle with a known good brake controller before digging into possible issues with the truck.
It’s a new trailer, so I assumed it works. Trying another vehicle is a good idea, I’ll try to find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2021, 06:48 AM
Wallhanger

Are you talking about the brakes on your boat? The vast majority of boat trailer brakes are hydraulic (surge) and do not interact with an electric trailer brake controller.

If you don’t know if your trailer brakes work, unplug the wiring harness and try to back up a small hill. If the brakes don’t lock up doing that, they don’t work.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:11 AM
Wallhanger

You'll need a volt meter. Check the reading at the brakes, as someone activates the controller. If you do not see readings increase, try again at the trailer connector, to narrow down whether it is the truck or the trailer with the issues.

Some vehicles with integrated controllers are also tied to speed - at low speeds they just never put as much force into the brakes as they do at higher speeds. The goal is to give max braking, but avoid lockups. You'll still see voltage changes, but you may never be able to do the traditional "lock the wheels at max controller" test you see many advise. But you should still be able to feel the trailer drag when activated.

Finally - your trailer brakes may be badly out of adjustment, and the pads are just not making contact very much.

Or, as noted, you don't have electronic brakes.....
Old 08-01-2021, 02:52 PM
Keeper

Thanks guys. I’ll take this all into consideration. I’ve also watched a bunch of videos and will get on this soon. Appreciate the expert advise. Much thanks.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:36 AM
Keeper

You can test the controller with a volt meter. At the trailer connector of the truck, find the trailer wire and the ground. You should get 12 volts there when you hit the brake controller to max. If you have voltage there go to the trailer brakes and see if you have 12 volts there. If not then you have a bad ground or connection.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Elite FS
Old 08-08-2021, 05:56 AM
Wallhanger

most electric controllers I've used have a small knob on them for turning the power up and down. make sure you try turning them up before trying them again.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

Never answered the question does your trailer have electric brakes?
Old 08-22-2021, 08:51 AM
Wallhanger

does your trailer have the 7 pin plug that plugs into the one on the truck? if it does try turning the power up and have someone hit the brakes while you test the plug with a volt meter to see if your getting power to the plug.