Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Torsion or spring? Your thoughts… - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-17-2021, 10:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homegrown1 View Post
I'm on my second trailer with Dexter "E-Z Lube" hubs. I think they're far superior to the "Bearing Buddy" type oil bath hubs. I ran my first trailer for 25 years, and if I recall correctly, on the original bearings. They're not exactly maintenance free - you will need to give them a pump or two from a grease gun every few trips. Inspect the back sides at least annually, to make sure the rear seals are not leaking. I usually pull the hubs off and inspect everything inside every five years or so, replacing both seals, and the bearings if they show any damage. Dexter's website has some good material on how these work and how to keep them maintained - check it out.
Heritage trailers come with Dexter Vault hubs. They are supposed to be sealed and completely maintenance free for 5 years. For I think $50, Dexter will extend the warranty on them to 10 years. The Vaults use a special hybrid oil that is thicker at lower temperatures and thins out as the bearings heat up during use. It is a great idea in theory, but I have read mixed reviews online.

I got my Heritage trailer last year. I love it. So far so good with the hubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2021, 12:25 PM
Minnow

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad34 View Post
Heritage trailers come with Dexter Vault hubs.

I didn't think the Vault hubs were meant for immersion in water (boat trailers). I thought the only hubs rated for this were E-Z lube type.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homegrown1 View Post
I didn't think the Vault hubs were meant for immersion in water (boat trailers). I thought the only hubs rated for this were E-Z lube type.
I've been submerging my Vault hubs for 14 years with no problems. The dealer told me to back the trailer in until the top of the fenders were just above the water as a starting point for determining the best loading depth. I had one seal leak a little at 6 years and had both sides serviced. I had them checked and new lube and seals put in last year. Still the original bearings.

Last edited by CI_Guy; 09-17-2021 at 01:27 PM.