Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Minaki Report? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Slot Fish

Default New Minaki Report?

I am leaving for Minaki on Friday and was hoping to get an up to date report. I haven't heard anything new for a month. We have friends up there now and are coming home Friday and hope to here from them in route. But, if anyone has any current report I would love to here it. Thanks to all who respond, Bigiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Minnow

BIGIVER,
I am headed to Minaki on the 28th. I am in the same situation as you for current reports. All reports I find for Minaki are about a month old. I did see that they have had quite a bit of rain. The guys that went to Birch Island earlier in the summer seemed to do very good. Keep us updated when you get back.

Randy
Old 08-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Keeper

Just spent 11 days there. Rained for 10. temp about 62-64 except for the one day it din't rain. Hit about 70 that day. Water temp was 63 to start ,67 at end of trip. Musky fishing slow but picked up et end of trip. this week would have been great I think. split time eye fishing. did pretty good beginning of trip and seemed to get worse as musky picked up. Some favorite spots were pretty good. spots i wanted to hit but didn't because just run out of time . 11 days weren't enough for me this year. legals were hard to get the last few days but really spent more time musky fishing then as they picked up. Biggest were a 28 and 26 eye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Slot Fish

KSauers,
Sorry to hear about all the rain. Just what they need up there, more water! It looks like it will remain cool, highs in the 60"s, while we are there, but maybe not so much rain. It will be tough to raise the water temp above 67* if it doesn"t get above 67*. Glad to also hear the big fish and musky were cooperating. Were they active in the rain? Any special color working for you during all that overcast? Thanks much for the report, Bigiver
Old 08-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Aaron-IN

Spoke to my dad, who lives up there in the summer, last night. Said it was raining every day. The day he did get out they did pretty well trolling cranks on Sand for Walleye.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Aaron-IN

Also, he said the bugs were worse than he has seen in 30 years. Better take plenty of bug spray.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Keeper

Default bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron-IN View Post
Also, he said the bugs were worse than he has seen in 30 years. Better take plenty of bug spray.
some of the cooler rainier days the bugs weren't a problem but a few of the nicer nights the skeeters would absolutely drive you off the water. Look down at your arm and you could use a paint scraper on them there were so many. Did better on eyes with minnows on a bare hook. Crawlers were only so so. Got 4 muskies and blew at least four more. 30 and 38 on an old perch Buchertail and a 45 and 46 on topwaters. i always look at the A frames trying to figure out which one is yours.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Minnow

Default Minaki report

Just returned and fishing was good but tough to get in the slot.
Not something to complain about but many fish from 19-24"with the biggest being 27"
Rained every day, some days just rained harder than others.
Mosquitos are large and hungry but the old dw off did the trick.
Always hard to leave but am looking forward to next year already.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for all the reports, our group heads out Saturday morning at 2:00AM. I am not used to messing with the bugs up there it has always been nearly bug free except for a few deer flies. Is it a coincidence this is the worst year in thirty for mosquitos and I bought a Skeeter? We are going to stay out on Dead Boy Island in one of the new cabins and thankfully we have a screen porch. Hope to be writing a report on how the weather held and how we slayed the fish in ten days. Thanks again, Bigiver
Old 08-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Aaron-IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSauers View Post
some of the cooler rainier days the bugs weren't a problem but a few of the nicer nights the skeeters would absolutely drive you off the water. Look down at your arm and you could use a paint scraper on them there were so many. Did better on eyes with minnows on a bare hook. Crawlers were only so so. Got 4 muskies and blew at least four more. 30 and 38 on an old perch Buchertail and a 45 and 46 on topwaters. i always look at the A frames trying to figure out which one is yours.

South side of the bay (left)