Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Removing moss from the shingles on my roof - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2021, 10:03 AM
Wallhanger

Default Removing moss from the shingles on my roof

Just had a few trees and branches removed that were contributing to moss taking hold in an area on our roof. The sun hits it pretty good now, and I think if I can get the moss that's on there removed, that it'll stay away for good (probably about a 10x10 area give or take). I just don't know exactly what to use, or how to use it. I was thinking of using a 1 gallon sprayer with some sort of a bleach solution to kill it, and then letting the rain/snow take it down (would that even work?).

What I do know, is I'm not going up there anymore lol. It's a pretty steep roof, and the drop to the ground is 22 feet on that side. I slipped in the front working on a Skylight, but didn't go all the way down lol. Those days are gone. I think I could reach it with a sprayer of some sort, standing on a ladder that I could set up on the deck, though.

Anyone have experience taking care of this on their own? Is this something where it sounds like I should call someone? I really don't want to have a fella go up there and just power wash it off, and potentially damage my shingles.

Any thoughts are welcome Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2021, 10:05 AM
Keeper

Good question. I am in the same boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2021, 11:15 AM
mk cant log in

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spray-Forge...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

At my son's suggestion (he's in the roofing business) I've used this on my roof to kill the black algae/mold, whatever that stuff is that grows on the shingles on the north side of the house. It works. My roof is light gray in color.

It also worked on the moss that was growing on my small shed in the woods.

It will kill it, takes a while, but in a few months its cleared up.

Mix it up on the higher concentration for moss, I think about 1 part to 5 parts water in hand pump sprayer killed the moss. The black mold on the house was killed at the weaker concentration, about 1 part cleaner to 8-10 parts water. Once the moss is killed, nature (rain, snow) should physically remove it.

BTW, it will kill flowers and grass if you over spray and it drifts down to the ground. Yeah, I killed some of my wife's flowers. Suggest using a coarse spray on a calm day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2021, 11:38 AM
Wallhanger

I've gotten rid of moss many times. 1/2 gallon cheap bleach, 2 gallons water in a 3 gallon sprayer. On a roof spray extra at the peak and let the rain do the work.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I have gotten rid of moss on roofs in the past.

I take a gallon of bleach and pour it into the sprayer and spray the roof. If I run out, I pour another gallon of bleach into the sprayer and finish spraying.

I have never seen any side effects from using 100% bleach, but 100% bleach is remarkably about removing moss, mold and related items.

However, if you do have vegetation below the roof that might get hit with the bleach, cover the vegetation or you will have dead vegetation after being hit with the bleach.

Best wishes.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:04 PM
Wallhanger

Default Yes call someone.

Well seeing you siad you know you are not going on the roof it would be pretty hard to spray any bleach up there. I would suggest looking up a sfotwash location near you. They just did my 12/12 pitch roof and it is 18 years old, but now it looks like the day they put the shingles on. I tired all sorts of bleach concotions and store bought stuff like wet and forget. I resisted paying to have it done for about 3 years trying my own things found online, but in the end nothing worked except the softwash. it's safe, won't kill your wifes flowers, (and if they do youre not to blame). I think it had a 5 year warranty against anything coming back on the roof. I had green balls of moss along with very heavy lichen growth along with the black staining from algae. It's ALL gone.

I know firsthand how slippery bleach is on shingles. Don't do it if you don't feel 100% comforable doing it.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:04 PM
Keeper

I have had really good luck with a product called Wet and Forget, you just spray it on and leave it. Worked great on the back of my house, which is almost all shade.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:39 PM
Wallhanger

Really appreciate the suggestions!!
Old 08-30-2021, 02:23 PM
Keeper

Is there a benefit of doing this other than cosmetic?
Old 08-30-2021, 02:24 PM
Wallhanger

you can power wash your shingles if your careful and turn down the pressure a little without chewing the sand off the shingles, i'm kind in the same boat and of course its the north side on a full 2 story 10/12 pitch roof and gets the lichen crap on it, i can still throw a ladder around but i just rent a 65' manlift, they deliver to house, 250 bucks, i clean the north roof, clean gutters, trim some trees,and do a little touch up painting in a day