Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Idle problem with 2004 johnson 9.9 J10RLSRD - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Wallhanger

Default Idle problem with 2004 johnson 9.9 J10RLSRD

Anyone know if it should idle without the roller touching the cam?
I have done the link and sync. adjustment, and everything seems to be where the book says it should be, but when I turn the throttle all the way back it will stall. If the roller is set right on the pickup mark it will idle, but the manual says the roller is supposed to be halfway between the end of the cam and the pickup mark, and when it hits the mark the throttle plate should start opening.

Also, when at full throttle, you have to back off on the throttle a little to get max. speed. There are 2 adjustments that could cause this, one on the cam itself, and the full throttle stop screw.
Before I take the carb off I would like to know if I'm missing something. By giving it a little throttle, the way it's set up now, I can troll all night without a problem.
If it should idle without the cam touching, it looks like it's time for a rebuild kit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Wallhanger

Anyone?
On another forum, another member has the same situation with a 15 hp. Johnson. No feedback on there either.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzley View Post
Anyone know if it should idle without the roller touching the cam?
I have done the link and sync. adjustment, and everything seems to be where the book says it should be, but when I turn the throttle all the way back it will stall. If the roller is set right on the pickup mark it will idle, but the manual says the roller is supposed to be halfway between the end of the cam and the pickup mark, and when it hits the mark the throttle plate should start opening.

Also, when at full throttle, you have to back off on the throttle a little to get max. speed. There are 2 adjustments that could cause this, one on the cam itself, and the full throttle stop screw.
Before I take the carb off I would like to know if I'm missing something. By giving it a little throttle, the way it's set up now, I can troll all night without a problem.
If it should idle without the cam touching, it looks like it's time for a rebuild kit!
Look at the carb butterfly and how it's rotation is fixed when it is off the roller. There should be some sort of throttle stop on the carb that prevents the butterfly from fully closing. Sometimes these are adjustable, sometimes they are fixed. If the butterfly is a full butterfly- no holes or cut sections, and it closes fully, then it won't run when off the roller. From the problems you describe it sounds like you need a carb kit because of the need to back off the throttle to get max speed- that is unless the carb full throttle stops are set wrong and the butterfly is actually opening all the way and then being rotated past full open to the point where it is starting to close.

Does you engine have idle mixture screws you can get to? or is it one where the idle mixture screw is covered with a hammered in tamperproof cap for emissions. I've heard that sometimes these caps just happen to "fall off, or somehow get pulled out by a sheet metal screw being inserted into the cap so it comes out and gets lost". If this happens, you just might try and richen the idle mixture screw 1/4 turn or so....and sometimes this cures all the problems...
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

It has throttle stops. If I adjust the idle speed stop on the linkage, it will move the roller to the mark on the cam, where the throttle plate just starts to open, and it will idle.
Also has a screw on the linkage to adjust full throttle travel.
This motor has the mixture screw that has a threaded collar around it, and a security torx head. I didn't try to adjust it, but will now.

THANKS! You provided the info. I was looking for.
Should be good to go after a few minor adjustments.

Last edited by grizzley; 05-18-2013 at 09:01 AM.