Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ghost River or Woman River - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-20-2020, 10:58 AM
Minnow

Default Ghost River or Woman River

I am planning a trip for my dad and brothers to check off a bucket list item. We have fished with dad for decades and have always talked about a remote Canada trip. Dads health isn’t what it used to be, so summer 2021 will be the year for an epic trip. I don’t think he could handle a true fly-in so we are looking at Ghost River Lodge vs Woman River Camp. Any input would be great! We are very experienced anglers.
We are looking to try to get that remote feel with great fishing - numbers are more important than a true trophy adventure. Walleye preferred and smallmouth would be a nice bonus but not required. We would love a place where you can get that “only boat on the lake” feel with some amenities and comforts. Not afraid to haul in groceries and cook.

Big question is when to go, June vs. September. Would prefer action as opposed to all deepwater jigging. I am thinking mid June based on another experience from Ontario. Suggestions.

Hard to decide on one of these 2 places based on what I am reading... would also take suggestions. please help

Last edited by Friedo35; 05-20-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 11:30 AM
Wallhanger

I can't give you any personal experience, but a close friend that I have been on Canadian Bear & Wolf Hunts with, as well several Spring fishing trips, has gone to Ghost River twice with his wife (2015 & 2018) and has 2 dandy Walleye replicas hanging on the wall that he caught. A 28 1/2" & 29 1/8. Both caught on the same trip.
His wife proudly displays her 29" as well.
He speaks highly of the owners, camp, and the experience.
I'm not sure of the dates they were there, but could find out if you wish.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:24 PM
Wallhanger

I just checked with him.
His reply: "Both trips arrived the Saturday before Labor Day and stayed untill the Thursday after."

Good luck and I hope you have a great trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 12:55 PM
Wallhanger

I have been to GR. They have two camps on the lake. I really enjoyed the trip there. It's the most beautiful area I've fished because there are six or seven rivers either coming into or out of Marchington and most have rapids or falls. I think we saw moose every time we'd boat up through the various rivers. There are lots of portage lakes and some are really fun to get into, walking around falls and pulling your boat through tunnels, that sort of thing. To be honest, we didn't do all that well there fishing-wise. The week we were there, the water was extremely high. When I was researching the place, everyone I spoke with raved about the fishing so I chocked our poor luck up to the high water. I'd love to go back, but I have my own boat now and you can't take your own boat around the huge falls getting in to Marchington.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:03 PM
Keeper

Have not been to either camp but have tried to get into Woman River. Unfortunately the weeks we have looked at they have been booked full. Have had several conversations with Paul the owner and seems like straight up kind of guy. Is a resort that I would look at in the future. Ghost River looks like a fun one too, have looked at that option several times.

Probably want to be ready to book in the next couple weeks if looking for June next year. Many re-book year after year and June fills up fast. Depending on the lodge they give the people like a week after they depart from camp to book for the following year. I would go so far as to ask to be contacted should they have someone not re-book.

Good luck, don't think you will go wrong with either of those choices.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:55 PM
Keeper

I've been to GR 3 times and stayed at the GR camp. I've been very satisfied with their lodge. Always had good fishing and good service. We have always gone in Aug.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:51 AM
Keeper

I have been going to Ghost River since 2004. It is a very well run Lodge and the owners and staff are very accommodating. From what you described in your wants, June will fit the fishing you want vs September. I have been there in July and September, the fishing is good both those times of the year but differ greatly in fish location and depth. September is when we go now and have been for 8-10 years, my preference very few bugs and fewer people and the fish are deeper. You said you wanted the only boat on the lake feel and IMHO you will only find that on a fly in, remember most Lodges are full or very close to it the first couple months of the season. I reread your post and question why you don't think he can handle a fly in? Most fly in lodges have the amenities that a boat in has, GRL is a boat in and I think Woman River is as well. Most if not all fly in Lodges will have hot and cold running water, shower and some will have a toilet in the bathroom as well. Obviously the biggest difference is if there is a medical emergency and the time it would take to get them to medical care. If you have specific questions regarding GRL feel free to PM me and I will gladly try to answer your questions.
wmd

Last edited by wmd; 05-21-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:51 AM
Wallhanger

Default Woman River Camp

I have been at WRC numerous times, most recently two years ago in September. Here is my take:

The camp: Paul and Deb are among the best operators that we have ever used. We have stayed in the main camp twice and the outpost once. Paul is really interested in your experience and will help you catch fish. He provides a lot of the detail stuff so if you are missing something he can probably help you. The main camp is pretty comfortable and there is a camp get together midweek. Deb is all business, but she is nice and accommodating. There is no nickle-diming. It has been a great value for us. We prefer the outpost since it is closer to the fishing. Takes a good 20-30 minutes off your trip to the fishing every day, depending on the time of year you go. It is also a great story. However, it is not too isolated since there are three (I think, maybe four) camps on the system and most of the other camps' boats will pass by the cabin since it is on a river. Also a public ramp about a half mile from the main camp.

Fishing- The main system is large and to get to Big Woman river will take you 30-45 minutes. There are some great spots closer, but you will probably find the best fishing on Big Woman, especially in September. Little Woman is full of smallmouths and we have had a lot of fun locating and slaying them. I have caught a pike that tied my PB, 42", in Big Woman. We have caught smallies up to 20". The walleye are everywhere, but they do not always bite. On our last trip we caught enough to eat but also spent many fishless hours. On our second to the last and last day there we found a honey hole in Big Woman in about 25-30 fow and literally caught walleyes one after the other in this place drifting away from an island. We mostly used minnows that Paul provided us from the camp.

Another great thing about WRC is that portages are included. You can get lost in a number of other lakes for the day and see no other boats. There is usually some work involved like carrying motors or hiking a bit, but we have loved doing these from time to time Please feel free to PM me for more information or I would be willing to talk to you if you prefer.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:40 AM
Wallhanger

I've been to both. Ghost River hands down.
WR is nice, run well, but it is narrow for quite a ways away from camp, meaning you have a steady parade of boats passing if you choose to fish there. Otherwise your in for long daily boat rides if you want some solitude.
On the other hand, GR is kind of spendy.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:18 AM
Slot Fish

I've been to Ghost River 7-8 times, it is run by wonderful people that pay attention to your needs. If you like a variety, I believe they have 15 portage lakes nearby, I've fished a lot of them and enjoyed the different fishing, but you can find everything you need in Marchington. Going thru the tunnel is something you won't find anywhere else that I know of. One caution, there is no way to bring in your own boat, you MUST use the GR boats. They're OK, a bit slow with the smaller motors, have plastic fold down seats. We're in our 70's, my wife is crippled up enough that she can't handle sitting in one of those for a long time. If someone in your group is older and has health issues, you want to consider that.