Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rub Rail Modifications - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2016, 02:56 PM
Slot Fish

Default Rub Rail Modifications

Ok, have a quick question here. My boat did not come with a rub rail on it. I have an Alumacraft Voyageur. My concern is, if I put a rub rail on it, I don't believe my boat cover will be able to snap down any more. My snaps are below the the rail and I can just barely get them to snap down now as it is. So I was thinking about doing something else to keep from getting more scratches and dings when docking.

I was thinking about painting on a sort of bed liner where the rub rail would be, but I am concerned that the abrasive material will wear on the boat cover. I am looking for any suggestions on what I can do to remedy the problem without having to buy a new boat cover. Any tips and or advice would be appreciated. If you have pictures of something you have done to your boat, that would be helpful as well. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

would something like this help?

http://www.boat-snapextenders.org/

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/handim...r-pk--12700449

HRG
Old 01-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Slot Fish

Yeah, that would probably working really well. Didn't know those existed. Thank you sir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Slot Fish

I don't know what the surface area looks like that you want to protect. I used some 3m clear protective film on the sides of my boat to protect from dock rash. It is inexpensive and has held up very well. Just a thought thought
Old 01-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Put on a rub rail and if necessary either use snap extenders, or get a new top for the boat.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/taco-...Yc4aArXJ8P8HAQ

Be safe
Old 01-20-2016, 05:25 PM
Wallhanger

I can't say that I've ever seen a boat without a rub rail
Old 01-20-2016, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

My boat came with a rub rail and after some years, I went and picked up a new insert for the rail.

The rail had done its job very well, by retarding boat rubs. As a result, the insert was beat up pretty well.

After getting the new insert, and double checking all of the rub rail mounts - the new insert has been installed and it continues to do a very good job to keep rub marks off of the boat.

Be safe

Tags
alumacraft , crestliner , lund , ranger , rub rail