Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
if you had to start fresh for walleye tackle, what lures are you stocking up on? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Keeper

I love pitching paddle tail swimbaits. Super effective and cheap. Of course various jig heads for pairing them up. Slip sinkers for traditional lindy rigs and various depth crankbaits. F11 rapala, shad raps of various sizes and whatever else appeals to you. Don’t forget jigging raps. They can be killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 09:01 AM
Wallhanger

Fishing rivers, big water and inland lakes often mean prioritizing different methods. I fish mainly inland lakes and jig 90% of the time. Guys on lakes like Lake Erie and Ontario are likely doing alot more trolling. Detroit River jigging is also different from inland lake jigging.

Thay being said, I would choose mostly jigs and grubs/paddletails. Cranks I would stick to Shad Raps/Flicker Shads and Hot'n'Tots..maybe blade baits or Rippin' Raps as well.

I might get some gear for other meat methods like harnesses and bottom bouncers, slow death, Lindy rigs and slip bobbers. Anything else would be special case, such as trolling in 20+ depths (I use Taildancers for that).

Colors - white, pinks, purples, chartreuse for plastics; natural silver/gold/shad and firetiger for cranks

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2019, 09:03 AM
Wallhanger

I forgot to mention jerkbaits/slashbaits are great for working shorelines. Xraps or Husky Jerks. Ther are a ton of brands and they all work.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 10:48 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue4016 View Post
I have a couple 2500 ci4 spinning reels and for rods I have various jogging rods 6’6 MLF, 6’10 in both MXF and MLXF, 7’MF, and a 7’MM Rod for casting. I will almost always have a rod in my hand no trolling yet but I will be wanting to cast some Crankbaits
Blade baits, jigging raps and countdown minnows are my go to baits for casting.

Slow deaths with smilie blades, flicker shads and thunderstick jrs are my go to trolling baits.

Alumacraft 175 Tourney Pro - 150 Merc, 8hp Tohatsu, Helix 9 SI/DI, 24v Terrova w/iPilot Link
Old 07-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

A jig is all you need. Couple different sizes and colors you that is all you need. My biggest eyes came on jigs.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:31 AM
Wallhanger

Default Tough Question!!!

So much of this answer is predicated by what type of body of water you are fishing. IMO you can’t beat pulling Spinner crawler harness rigs for covering water and locating fish. Then you can determine if the fish are scattered (a flat, or suspended) or some type of transition, (drop off, bottom type transition, inside turn, or a point). If you decide they are scattered, keep trolling. If you decide they are concentrated casting cranks (for aggressive fish) or a jig and plastic or jig and meat will do the job.
So the advice given for lure choices that have been given are good. It’s knowing when to use what is the biggest part of the Walleye puzzle.

Last edited by Sportdog; 07-27-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:39 AM
Wallhanger

Very well said sportdog, that pretty much sums it up right there
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 07-28-2019, 07:05 PM
Keeper

jointed flicker shads
Old 07-28-2019, 09:05 PM
Wallhanger

I would only buy a good selection of jigs, my wallet would be full and my boat would have about 6 less 3700 boxes full of crankbaits.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Old 08-02-2019, 12:07 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue4016 View Post
Hey All,

Over the past year I’ve been getting myself back into the fishing game from a long layoff. Just completed upgrading my rods and reels and now it’s time to switch to tackle.

What’s everyone’s favorite lures to throw in spring, summer, and fall? What can you not leave home without?

And bonus question what was the craziest odd lure you used to catch a walleye.

After watching a ton of videos and reading up on these forums it seems the consensus is obviously throwing a jig 1/4 oz or so, #7 jigging rap, #5 rippin rap, etc.

I need to purchase all my fishing stuff before I get married next summer so she won’t find out my new addiction hahaha

If you all are starting fresh with tackle what are you loading up on, I need to load up my cart at Cabelas lol
If you have the ADDICTION to eyes...you cant buy enough...lol depending on where, when you fish...I use a lot of gulp crawlers and leeches..in the long run cheaper and less hassle from any C.O. in floating weed situation i troll behind a tadpole....deep water, big expanses rapala tail dancers, reef runners... active fish i go to taildancers,flicker shads wally divers and voodoo shads..jigging i like tillys or rapala jigging lures..i prefer anything that elongates the presentation smaller,stubbier offerings seem to get less strikes for me..slip bobbers are mandatory for real inactive fish in calm waters..they get to check out, run a bit til they are sure of the meal..bigger blades..pink,purple..slow death hooks and a great graph to locate suspended eyes following bait/perch pods ...after that book a trip guide, pro, semi pro or legend..just to understand the body you are fishing...what can be learned from a local ACE is invaluable on each body of water.. i have fished with some of the best on erie,detroit river, lake st clair,saginaw bay,manistee lake, st marys and bays de noc..i will never be anywhere near as good..but learned enough my freezer is well stocked for every winter...have fun..hopefully she learns to love your addiction as much as my lady!

Tags
crankbait , jig , lure , tackle , tackle box