Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
prop ddddddamage - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-09-2020, 10:09 PM
Minnow

Default prop ddddddamage

With the low water in my area I hit a rock today loading my boat. The prop has two bents on the leading edge. They are significant, in my eye. Should I fit it or just get a new one. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2020, 05:07 AM
Keeper

Repair. Especially stainless steel. It will look like new when you get it back.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Mt,
Or if you are reasonably good with a hammer and anvil, you can remove the prop, put the prop your prop on the anvil and hammer out the bent parts of the prop. Just be sure to maintain the perfect pitch of the prop on all prop blades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Mt,
Or if you are reasonably good with a hammer and anvil, you can remove the prop, put the prop your prop on the anvil and hammer out the bent parts of the prop. Just be sure to maintain the perfect pitch of the prop on all prop blades.
If he had the skill to do that, why would he ask the question?

Marty
Old 04-10-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I suspect that he asked the question because he was not sure of the correct answer.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:41 AM
Keeper

Have it fixed. If there is enough damage to need to be fixed (you have a vibration when running) I can’t imagine doing it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2020, 10:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Mt,
DO NOT DO THIS. This is VERY bad advice.

Send your prop in to a reputable prop shop and you’ll get it back as good or better than new for much less than 1/2 the price of a new prop.

Waxy
Old 04-10-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Waxy,
Actually not bad advice at all.

I stated in my post - "If you know what you are doing"

This statement assumes that the person doing the repair has the knowledge and equipment to do the right job for the prop in question.

For a simple bend, it is a simple process to bend something back.

If the blade is mangled, then it is time to get a new prop or have a prop shop weld on a new blade.

If you are capable and have the tools and equipment, do the job.

If not - don't do the job.

Take care
Old 04-10-2020, 12:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Waxy,
Actually not bad advice at all.

I stated in my post - "If you know what you are doing"

This statement assumes that the person doing the repair has the knowledge and equipment to do the right job for the prop in question.

For a simple bend, it is a simple process to bend something back.

If the blade is mangled, then it is time to get a new prop or have a prop shop weld on a new blade.

If you are capable and have the tools and equipment, do the job.

If not - don't do the job.

Take care
Quote:
Mt,
No you didn’t. Not even close.

You’re back tracking now, as you should be. I normally just roll my eyes and look the other way when you post stuff like this, but this is the type of advice that can end up costing people a lot of money.

It is not a simple process and not something that anyone “reasonably good with a hammer and anvil” should be doing in their garage. How are they going to “maintain the perfect pitch”? Edge cupping? Balance? Poor performance is only the start of the potential problems, replacing your entire lower unit is the real danger.

Waxy
Old 04-10-2020, 12:44 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Mt,
REW'S advice is sound if, as he says, you can do a perfect repair. Problem is, if it appears perfect, but isn't, a driveline vibration could do major damage to your lower unit. The greater the horsepower, the greater the issue. I have repaired the prop on my kicker motor and not been concerned. I would not trust that repair on a higher performance outboard. If you go that route, I recommend keeping rpm's down until you can get the prop repaired at a competent prop shop, or,running a spare prop.
You did not state whether you damaged a stainless or aluminum prop, but , if it is a stainless prop, you should , also, check the prop shaft to make sure it was not bent by the impact.
Glad you could get on the water. Here in the Midwest, the issue is flooding rivers and streams.

Tags
damage , new prop , prop