Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How to drive in big water - Page 11 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-12-2020, 06:27 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_wi View Post
Truncated, post here
Great story. I had a very similar story from my childhood. My immediate family (3 people) were in one boat (A 18' Lund Tyee) and I was in a small aluminum tiller resort boat with a guide and my grandpa. This was probably like the year 1998 if I had to guess, on Lac Seul as well.

Anyways, we did a 21 mile run (~42 miles round trip) from Goose Bay Camp to Mackenzie Bay and a storm rolled in the late in the afternoon. It went from a calm day with two of us catching our personal bests and limiting out... to 3 to 3.5' waves in just a few minutes. A rough ride back. Midway through the ride back (probably as we exited Mackenzie, but before Steamboat), it was decided that my grandpa and I should get in the Lund, leaving the guide alone in his boat. We made it back, but it was an experience that we will never forget. There is a reason that lake is called Lac Seul, or "Lake Alone". If you go out there without the proper equipment and foresight, you'll be left stranded alone ashore.

It was that day I became a real fisherman. Never at any point were we in danger, the Tyee was pretty much adequate and being truly tested. It was a rough ride back though, very little space between the waves and we didn't have trim tabs. My sister was crying, but I remember it being a fun experience. Overall though, because of that experience, my Dad immediately sold that boat and bought a Lund 2150 Baron, the biggest Lund they make, and still owns it to this day.

I look forward to planning an annual trip there again and crushing those tea colored lac seul rollers with my future 20' boat (narrowed down to ZV20, 620, or 206).

The number one most important thing to do when navigating big water is pay attention to the weather radar. In 2020, everyone who owns a smartphone can download a weather app (e.g. MyRadar is free, otherwise RadarScope is the best paid one) which will allow you to know exactly what kind of weather possibilities are in store for the day. Check the app periodically throughout the day. The act of neglecting to do this simple check has literally KILLED people. If you're reading this, download either of those apps (or equivalent) right now and get used to using it.

Last edited by Nytron; 03-12-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2020, 07:04 AM
Keeper

When I was a kid, we were fishing out of Ashtabula OH on Lake Erie. Nice day, drift fishing about 5 miles down the lake and a mile or so off shore. We were in a late 70's 16' Crestliner. There was a pack of boats all drifting together. Out of nowhere, a summer storm popped up and all heck broke loose. Realizing we wouldn't make it back to the harbor, we all headed straight for shore and beached our boats. We then headed for a great big willow tree to try and get out of the rain. That was one trip I have never forgotten.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2020, 07:26 AM
Minnow

When I was guiding on LOTW, we spent the majority of the day fishing in a cluster of islands, reefs, etc. You could tell the wind was picking up as the day went on, but I wasn't quite sure just how windy it became until we headed back.

We had about a 15 mile ride back to camp and as I was headed south and approaching a large bay (that ran west to east for about 8-10 miles), I began to see the big rollers and breaking waves. I got about 50 yards into that bay (which we were going to need to run, in the direction of the waves), pulled a 180 and got back to the calm side of an island.

I told the guys to put on their rain gear (not a cloud in the sky, but we were in an 18ft tiller), they were going to get wet. After we all put the rain gear on, I pulled out my maps to confirm my thoughts. Once I was confident in my plan, I told them to sit facing rear ward because of the spray and off we went.

The bay was about 1 to 1.5 miles wide where we were and the wind was blowing straight west to east down the length of it. As we got into the more open water, I slowed down and took the waves at about a 30 degree angle. Rather than 45'ing them, I rode the troughs as best I could and took the shortest route across the bay. Key note here, as was mentioned, throttle control was very important! As we are crossing and I'm in full rain gear, hood up, face covered and only my sunglasses exposed, every time spray came over the sides, I looked at the two guys whose backs were to the front and they were laughing their @sses off.

After about 10 minutes of crossing the bay, we got into a maze of islands and side channels (as LOTW is know for). I slipped through islands and cuts (some that one would not know about unless they had considerable time on that water) the rest of the way back to camp.

All was well and the beer was good at the lodge!
Old 08-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Wallhanger

My wife and I fish Lake Superior quite a bit. If you are caught in heavy seas the idea is to survive and not lose your boat, not necessarily to even make headway. The boat's capabilities will determine if it can make headway.

The Us Coast Guard rescues recreational boaters on Lake Superior every year. Some make it. Some don't.

The six rules are:
1) always keep the full keel on the water to maintain track and steerage - greatest danger is broaching
2) never run with beam seas
3) never run directly into head seas windward
4) never allow following seas to push the boat full on the stern
5) trim fully down, adjust throttle as necessary to maintain constant freeboard on the bow
6) if you have to use the first five rules, you did not pay close enough attention to weather and sea conditions and stay behind the breakwater
Old 05-07-2021, 07:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjoe View Post
Almost Juls.

Wear your life preserver.
AND strap on the kill switch!!

Happy Fishing!!

Last edited by FinmanPoozie; 05-07-2021 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
I had an extended family member get killed by his own boat. It was a tiller, got knocked off and the boat came back around an ran over him.
I am truly sorry for your loss.

My kids really did tell me to wear my kill switch last year. I've been inconsistent--- til I just read this.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:26 PM
Wallhanger

Default True story, as short as possible

This'll be a bit long but it's all true.

Memorial Day weekend in 2002 on a Tuesday I picked up a new boat. A Monark King 190. Bottom of the barrel boat looking back but I had no clue back then. The boat had zero strakes, had a kicker on the starboard side & had a big lean to the right (me + the kicker). Gunnels were 98", but the chine was only 71-72". This was also the 1st boat with a steering wheel that I was ever in. The boat never made a left turn for some unknown reason.

Ran it locally for a couple days to get the feel for it. No biggey.

On Friday, to Lake Ontario we went.

The wife & I had a weekend trip planned around Henderson Harbor. I read all about "watch the weather" & I did (bluebird skies & breezy), so I crossed the bay to show off the boat to my parents who were camping @Westcot Beach if I remember correctly. it was a bit breezy & I was going with the wind.

2 miles maybe crossing the bay. No biggey.

While I was there, the breeze turned into a major wind....and I had to get back to my dock. The campground is really protected so the wind was pretty calm.... until I passed into the bay & caught the lakes full wind, and now I was going dead into it.

I had to angle to my left because there was a point that broke the wind. To my right was the wind head on.

This boat was deep. Sitting in the seat, the gunnel would be up to your shoulder. The gunnel was nearly as high as the top of the Merc 125 that it came with. Hopefully that paints a picture. That boat was like holding a sheet of plywood and walking into the wind. It was terrible...no strakes, never made a left turn as long as I owned it.

What I wound up doing was angling up a wave, reach the crest, skoot to my left, angle down into a trough & repeat. Maybe i moved 10' with each crest, maybe 5'... I was just trying to stay alive. I always had a clear view of the next crest & of the point in the distance. Going straight into a wave took water over the bow, so I knew that was wrong. My hope was that I'd get lucky with the correct angle going up & down so I didn't roll the boat.

BUT-- One time in a trough, I looked to my right and the water was at least 1 1/2' above my head and I remember suddenly becoming aware of all around me was water. No land. I swear, I'm not exaggerating & there was no single moment where I was more outright terrified that I might not make it to land again. My wife called my cell after I was gone for hours, heard my voice and she went into a panic mode hearing me. All I said was "I can't talk right now" & threw the phone on the floor...can't talk with that much stuff going on.

The majority was me being a newbie, me not knowing my boat, me putting a kicker on the wrong side, me going to a lake where I should not have been, me not knowing what "read the weather" really meant, and me being clueless about what a boat can actually do... a rope bounced over & wrapped around my prop, killing the main engine. While sloshing around, I had to reach over & undo the tangle. The boat was fine, I was not... my nerves were shot. I still had 1 3/4 miles to go after that mess up

That 2 mile ride back to the dock took me almost 4 hours. And I was shot for the weekend. Even 12" rollers made my stomach sink, so I left the boat docked until we came home.

The following year, I traded it for a Lund 2025 Pro-V. The dealer said the next owner went to Ontario, got caught with the boat not handling well & traded it in for a SmokerCraft 2 weeks later.

For 8 or 10 years, I got goosebumps whenever I described all of these details... it's all true. Every word.

After all of it, I was told: "If you see the big boats docked on a sunny day-- stay on land because there's a reason they didn't go out"...bit more in-line with how to read the weather

I've gone to Ontario again but stayed in the bays, never had the courage to hit the main lake yet.

It's all true. There were so many things I shouldn't have done that weekend!!!

I attached a pic of the boat that I found online. When you're sitting in that & water is over your head and on a full 360 degrees--- it's scary as ****!!

Happy fishing!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monark.png
Views:	146
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	326258  

Last edited by FinmanPoozie; 05-07-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdworker View Post
One more thing I thought of that I do religiously anymore: I always clip my engine kill/cutoff cord to myself when driving, regardless of conditions.
My kids are twin 14 yr old girls who got their boater licenses this year They've reinforced the exact same thing: Strap the kill switch!

Shot, they even text me when they know I'm on it as a reminder.

Another suggestion-- Let someone know where you'll be & the hours that you'll be there, & confirm it. Wearing a kill switch, wearing a PFD won't help if no one knows you were on the water & things crapped out in the worst way.

Can't argue with kids when they are flat out just right

Happy Fishing!!
Old 09-24-2021, 02:25 PM
Minnow

Talking Nice ))

This is a very useful thread!
Old 10-19-2021, 06:58 PM
Wallhanger

A word about the O.P.'s opening post about the pro fisherman dying when his 21' Triton capsized.

Having been in 5' and better waves with a 21' Celebrity 210cc cuddy, during the Walleye Championship here back in 1999, Anonymouse has seen 1st-hand how UN-seaworthy those professional walleye rigs are.
They are built along beefed up bass boat designs with wide beams, shallow freeboard, top-heavy flooring/seating, and heavy, bulky outboard motors sticking up in the air.
This is EXACTLY the sort of boat design no sensible person would build for heavy water.

The guy that caught the biggest walleye was on Dunn's Bar as we went past and his boat - swear, this is nothing but truth - was sticking up at 55 degrees to 60 degree to the vertical in those crashing breakers.
Can't even fathom trying to keep one's footing in those conditions.
Don't know how he was able to stand up and cast without falling over, being pitched right out the back of the boat, or skidding and ending up on his arse.

It's beyond explicable how professionals would put themselves at risk at high running speeds and seriously unstable center of gravity rigs, just to look "pretty" in a sponsor's boat.
Not ONE of those Professional anglers was able to do more than putt-putt along at no-wake speeds in the conditions prevailing on Friday of the tournament, while Anonymouse was slamming the crap out of his kidneys at 45-50 mph upwind and laughing/howling like a banshee at those idjuts and their rinky-dink rigs.

Mrs. Anonymouse was hugging the floor and screaming to take her back to shore but once we got through the 5 mile run & into the river and calm waters, it was one of the most pleasant days fishing we've ever experienced.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 10-19-2021 at 07:07 PM.