Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Brag Time-What Was Your Best Shot On a Big Game Animal??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 10-05-2021, 01:29 PM
Wallhanger

Default Brag Time-What Was Your Best Shot On a Big Game Animal???

Lots of years hunting but only a couple excellent shots I’ve ever made on a game animal. Most of my kills have been at under 50 yards. Probably my best was a paced off 140 yard shot at a pogo bounding Mule Deer in Wyoming with a 30-06. The shot took out 3-4 inches of spine just behind the lung area. He needed a second shot but he was anchored on the spot. The second best was a Whitetail, 165 yard shot from a solid rest in Michigan, from a ground blind, using a Remington Copper Solid with my 20 gauge Shotgun, single shot rifled bull barrel, New England Arms. Right in the boiler room. Jumped straight up, ran 15 yards, done.
Now I realize that these aren’t that impressive but they stand out as MY BEST.

How about yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2021, 01:48 PM
Wallhanger

NW Colorado. Kneeling shot in snow, at a cow Elk, ranged at 517 yards. 7 Mag piled her up right in her hoof prints. I tried prone but couldn't see over the sage brush, and my bipod wasn't long enough to use while sitting or kneeling. Right through the pump station, long live the beast, the beast was dead. (In my best Ted Nugent voice).
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Pulled by 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 6.2L
Old 10-05-2021, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Got a couple Deer with my truck over the years.
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2021, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

About 4 years ago I had extremely good luck and shot 4 hogs on a 2 1/2 day hunt. All of them were hit right behind the ear and dropped without taking a step. The shots were between 75 to 130 yards, the next year l never saw a pig
Old 10-15-2021, 08:21 AM
Wallhanger

Holding an arrow back on a buck until I'm shaking so bad I can't believe he doesn't see me, but he just needs to take that one...more...step.

Holding...the shaking spreads from the arms to the legs...now my whole body is almost convulsing. I've held too long and I know if I let the bow down, I won't be able to pull it back again. Gotta hold it. Finally, he takes that one agonizing step...somehow pulling my muscles together enough to minimize the shuddering for a half a second to see the pin in the peep, feel the anchor on my cheek, and send that arrow home.

I've never felt close to feeling as physically and mentally spent after a shot as that one. That's what makes it my best shot.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:20 PM
Minnow

450 yards (308 Winchester). Big Buck in the field, just coming out of the bush. I saw him, knew he was big. Shot immediately. Went down instantly. Perfect shot from a long range (for me).
Old 09-26-2022, 07:03 PM
Wallhanger

I have 2 that stick out for me first one was on a running buck in a open field. Me and hunting buddy were heading back to the truck for lunch and out of the blue. A buck gets up and runs straight across from us about 75 yards out. Just out of reflex I raise my shotgun and shot once hit them right in the back of the head went down like a ton of bricks. #2 hunting with my son in mid November maybe 2" of fresh snow on the ground had a buck walk up on me maybe 20 yards away I raised my Ruger BH 41 magnum shot and missed. Next morning same buck but in front of me 50 yards out I didn't miss
Old 09-27-2022, 08:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydawg13 View Post
I have 2 that stick out for me first one was on a running buck in a open field. Me and hunting buddy were heading back to the truck for lunch and out of the blue. A buck gets up and runs straight across from us about 75 yards out. Just out of reflex I raise my shotgun and shot once hit them right in the back of the head went down like a ton of bricks. #2 hunting with my son in mid November maybe 2" of fresh snow on the ground had a buck walk up on me maybe 20 yards away I raised my Ruger BH 41 magnum shot and missed. Next morning same buck but in front of me 50 yards out I didn't miss
I have only hunted one time with a 357 magnum handgun. i hit a 6 pointer at about 45 yards. the deer was down but very much alive. i emptied the pistol and the deer never did anything but kept looking around. then I slowly walked up to the deer and when he looked away I shot him in the head to finish him off. the butcher said the deer was full of lead so I was hitting him the 357 just wasn't killing him. I went back to using my shotgun. now I just hunt some during the muzzleloader season with my new CVA long-range 45 caliber rifle. I was using a TC encore 50 that served me well but I like the 45 much better and I'm letting my 14 yr old granddaughter use the encore.

my best shots with my muzzleloaders have only been 125 yards on one deer and 130 yards at another one stepped off taking long steps.

but my most memorable was when I and a buddy was walking out on a ridge that overlooked a low flat area. I saw a deer but it went out of sight behind the ridge. then it just popped up at about 20 yards. I was hunting with a double barrel 50 caliber CVA which I had the left barrel sighted in on the iron sights and the other barrel with a scope. I tried to sight in with the iron sights but couldn't see the front sight and it was really too close for the scope so I lifted the rifle and set my front sight where I wanted it and lowered it back down where I wanted it on the deer and fired. the deer came running within about 10' of where I was standing. ( my buddy didn't even know what was going on ). when I shot another deer that I hadn't seen ran out 120 yards and stopped behind a small tree that covered his front legs leaving his kill area exposed. I sighted the other barrel in with the scope and fired. got both deer that only ran about 35 yards each. it was only 10 minutes until the end of hunting hours. it was cloudy and snowing which made it almost dark. everything happened within about 20 seconds.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:55 PM
Keeper

Muley out in the Selway in Idaho in 2016. Was on horseback, saw like 6 mulies a few hundred yards up a super steep drainage. Tied the horses off and scurried up to their elevation, looked over, and saw them a few fingers away. All a sudden a buck popped up pretty close to us, and took off running. He wasn't spooked super bad, but he definitely decided to bug out. I dropped down, got steadied on my pack, my guide said get ready, and he hollered at the buck, the buck stopped and looked back quartering away really hard, and within a half a second, I squeezed off a shot at about 200 yards and put him down instantly. Perfect shot right through the boiler room! Unfortunately, he rolled down the mountain about 200ft and busted up his rack on the way down.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:08 PM
Slot Fish

Shot an Antelope at a little over 500 yards with my .264 Win Mag ranged with range finder. My Dad said if he would have not been there he would not of believed it. The Antelope dropped in its tracks. I used a reload with a Nosler 120gr BT