Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird MEGA Live debut ... - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 11-21-2021, 02:58 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

In this seasons first TV show (today) In-Depth Outdoors is using the mega Muskie fishing on LOTW. You can find the show on their homepage or it's posted to their channel at You Tube also.
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2021, 03:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
In this seasons first TV show (today) In-Depth Outdoors is using the mega Muskie fishing on LOTW. You can find the show on their homepage or it's posted to their channel at You Tube also.
I saw it but they are jigging. Humminbirds limited range makes it fine for Jigging but if your spending the money one may want the best for the money.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-21-2021, 03:22 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
After a lot more research I would have to agree with you. Found a great video that compared all three side by side. To bad that Hummingbird had years to watch the others and came out with what I know call interior product. Despite the word Mega in its name they have the lowest frequency at 1050 and the shortest range. I think I will try the new Mega 360 and wait to see where Forward Facing real time goes. Also maintain that given HB and MK are owned by the same company I don't like the fact that after the big Ulterra push they don't make a mount for these options. My personal feelings are that he pol mounts are a mess and wires all over he place messes with my OCD for neatness. Simple better rated pickup motor in the Ulterra which has been the source of many issues anyways is an easy fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Rr5g7RXCk

I was skeptical after 10 or so videos, then I saw this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrK-_I6N28o

After that video there is no way I would get a MegaLive right now.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
I was skeptical after 10 or so videos, then I saw this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrK-_I6N28o

After that video there is no way I would get a MegaLive right now.
Funny how we see different things! It took them half the video to learn how to do some tuning on the ML. There is sonar crosstalk on the Mega live from the other sonar. (The arc's and other noise) There are 4 different filter settings om ML. They never even mentioned them. Once they learned how to operate the ML the images were almost identical.(with the exception of the noise)
The first video does not have any of the units tuned in. Sensitivity is way high on the Garmin and very weak on the other 2 units. These live units are critical on adjustments. You may be right on your pick of Livescope for now, but it is only better in the range. I think Lowrance is the best for clarity. Mega live is just getting started. I don't think a winner can be crowned yet. JMO Bob
Old 11-22-2021, 06:51 PM
Keeper

I saw them turn off the Garmin transmit a few times to try to make the ML perform better. Didn't really seem to help much. The gain on the Garmin looked to be high 60s, which is pretty standard. I never really thought the ML performed close to the Garmin.

As far as it being too early to crown a winner... a wise man (AvE) once said you have to piss with the **** you got hah.

Last edited by jdavis; 11-22-2021 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
I saw them turn off the Garmin transmit a few times to try to make the ML perform better. Didn't really seem to help much. The gain on the Garmin looked to be high 60s, which is pretty standard. I never really thought the ML performed close to the Garmin.

As far as it being too early to crown a winner... a wise man (AvE) once said you have to piss with the **** you got hah.
It is good to be so positive. LS works well. Bob
Old 11-22-2021, 07:05 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
It is good to be so positive. LS works well. Bob
I'm a Humminbird guy, so I'm not really trying to shil for Garmin. I'd much rather not have some other brand of sonar in my boat. That said, to me, the LS seems better. Active Target looks pretty good too. I'm sure Humminbird will catch up at some point.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:52 AM
Wallhanger

How about video that compares all three with someone that knows what they are doing.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:34 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
How about video that compares all three with someone that knows what they are doing.

The video you posted is about Bass, I posted a video of all three tested. Here it is again. The results were very clear. Even though I use Humminbird the ML product is disappointing given they had three years to watch. The statement they will catch up is meaningless to ask someone to spend $1500.00 for something not at least the same as what others have. Seem to me it was a rush to launch and rely on brand loyalty to buy what appears to me as inferior to what's already available.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Live.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	330530  
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-24-2021, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Have a couple friends that are serious crappie tournament fishermen. They have been using Garmin live scope since it came out. They loved it, but a few years ago Garmin did an update that in their minds degraded the live scope. They could cast a jig out and watch it on live scope, but after the update, there were dead spots where they lost the jig. One of the fellows just got the new Humminbird stuff and they used it in a tournament last Saturday. They opinion was Garmin was better at distance, and Humminbird better at close range. The second fellow is holding off on buying the Humminbird as it's just not worth the cost at this time.