Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Lund 202GL trailer clearance - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-21-2021, 08:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
You're looking at the results of a 102" beam boat, with a 87.5" chine width. If the trailer was made wide enough to fit the hull between the fenders, you'd need an over-wide permit to tow it.

HRG
I don't think that is the issues. The boat overlays the fenders by an inch assuming he has the boatmate trailer which is what Lund went to for the GL. The issue he seems to have unless I am wrong is that he is concerned about the distance from the top of the fender to the bottom side of the boat. If the bunk carpet breaks down it seems like it could touch the fender. I would think they would have taken that into account in the design but ya never know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	327272  
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2021, 09:00 AM
MikeF unlogged

{{You're looking at the results of a 102" beam boat, with a 87.5" chine width.}}

Did not realize the boat beam was that wide.

Looks like the boat will need to go up higher on the trailer and then the trailer will just need to go deeper to float the boat at launch.

Might as well put bunks on the fender edges. LOL
Old 06-21-2021, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
I don't think that is the issues. The boat overlays the fenders by an inch assuming he has the boatmate trailer which is what Lund went to for the GL. The issue he seems to have unless I am wrong is that he is concerned about the distance from the top of the fender to the bottom side of the boat. If the bunk carpet breaks down it seems like it could touch the fender. I would think they would have taken that into account in the design but ya never know.
I agree, but I was responding to the post that indicted the trailer wasn't wide enough. I agree that there should be more of a gap between the hull and the top of the fender. Looking at a number of pictures I'm not sure any of them have more than a 1/2" gap,,,,,,

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2021, 09:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebustor View Post
My brand new 2021 Lund 202GL boat/trailer just arrived at the dealer and upon initial inspection the clearance between the trailer fender and the hull is only 1/8” to maybe 3/16”. My guess is this is a little to close unless that boat trailers perfect in any condition. There does not appear to be any adjustments that can be made to the trailer other than trying to make some kind of shim to raise the height of the bunks. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the solution? What should the clearance be so the fender never rubs the hull? I surprised Lund would let this leave the factory like this. I have attached a couple pictures for reference.
Given I have the same boat and am working on a brake issue I decided to contact boatmate as I am rather certain that is the trailer you have. My clearance looks about the same other than the angle of you picture made it look a little uneven but that could have been the picture.

Here is what they said

The fenders being so close to the boat could come from a couple different areas. First if the mounting holes on the fenders is off, or if the wrong fenders were installed, there could be a clearance issue.

There could also be some issues with the distance between the steps which could bow the fender upwards. However, in the picture that was attached, it does look to have clearance between the boat hull and the fender. I may not be seeing what you are seeing but only because I have one photo. The design we made for this trailer did have to go through Brunswick to make sure they were happy with the fit.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 06-21-2021, 10:22 AM
Minnow

Yes it is a Boat Mate trailer.
Did Boat Mate say what the clearence distance should be? I'd like to see at least 1" -1" 1 1/2"
I measured the gap and on both sides it is 1/8" and 3/16" where the chine or very outside edge sits above the fender. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 6-21-21 at 11.18 AM.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	327278
Old 06-21-2021, 12:14 PM
MikeF unlogged

Just seems too close for comfort, from the pictures anyway.

That small distance between the edge of the hull and the fender top seem to be an accident just waiting to happen, say on a windy day or from current on a river.

Possibly raise the bunk height slightly and add some HDPE to the fender top to prevent the gel from getting chipped in case of hull/fender contact.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did Boat Mate say what the clearence distance should be? I'd like to see at least 1" -1" 1 1/2"
I measured the gap and on both sides it is 1/8" and 3/16" where the chine or very outside edge sits above the fender. Attachment 327278
Eyebustor,
I'm assuming that the bunk support brackets are welded to the crossmembers, how do the bunks attach to the brackets? Screwed-up from below, or carriage bolts & nuts?

If lag bolts up into the bunks, maybe some 1" thick aluminum spacers could be made, with longer bolts, to raise the bunks off the brackets?

HRG
Old 06-21-2021, 03:40 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Eyebustor,
I'm assuming that the bunk support brackets are welded to the crossmembers, how do the bunks attach to the brackets? Screwed-up from below, or carriage bolts & nuts?

If lag bolts up into the bunks, maybe some 1" thick aluminum spacers could be made, with longer bolts, to raise the bunks off the brackets?

HRG
That seems to be the best solution. I'm amazed this made it through final inspection at the factory if there is such a thing.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I measured the gap and on both sides it is 1/8" and 3/16" where the chine or very outside edge sits above the fender. Attachment 327278
They didn’t say but I can email them back in the morning as a follow up. Just for reference I checked mine today and i can fit my fingers underneath it and i’ve got big hands. I put a ruler up and measured it but my phones in the truck so i’ll post it tomorrow.

BTW I would not screw around with shims. the trailer was designed with Brunswick and if you modify it and have an issue they can play games with warranty. Make them answer what the clearance should be and have them fix it if wrong. They have a guy they can send out if the dealer is to stupid to figure it out.

By the way I see black around the light on the fender. Is that plate the after market stick on crap added by the dealer and if it is that’s why the clearance is smaller.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Last edited by bbheli; 06-21-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:01 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
They didn’t say but I can email them back in the morning as a follow up. Just for reference I checked mine today and i can fit my fingers underneath it and i’ve got big hands. I put a ruler up and measured it but my phones in the truck so i’ll post it tomorrow.

BTW I would not screw around with shims. the trailer was designed with Brunswick and if you modify it and have an issue they can play games with warranty. Make them answer what the clearance should be and have them fix it if wrong. They have a guy they can send out if the dealer is to stupid to figure it out.

By the way I see black around the light on the fender. Is that plate the after market stick on crap added by the dealer and if it is that’s why the clearance is smaller.
The dealer contacted the rep for Lund/Brunswick and he suggested to add shims. At the time I took the pictures the only thing the dealer had done to the boat was take the plastic shrink wrap off. Not sure what you are referring to around the light on the fender I think it's just the metal housing enclosing the light.