Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2021 Lund Impact 1775 Live well over-flowing - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-18-2021, 05:40 PM
Minnow

Default 2021 Lund Impact 1775 Live well over-flowing

Greetings--Not sure what I am missing here, but when I activate the pumps to fill the live-wells, that the stern live-well fills to the top--above the overflow hole. As this is my second Lund, I remember that previously both live-wells had drains off to the side. This new boat drains through the transom--underneath the water line.

Questions: Is this back pressure preventing the live well from discharging the incoming water causing it to overflow? When I turn off the livewell pump, the water level eventually lowers to where you'd expect it to be--just underneath the overflow port.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2021, 04:35 AM
foxy

Open up the access port to view where the bilge/livewell pumps are. There is probably a Sea-**** valve for the drain hose that is turn to the OFF position that needs to be turned so water can flow out of the boat.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicageaux-LSU View Post
,,,,,, When I turn off the livewell pump, the water level eventually lowers to where you'd expect it to be--just underneath the overflow port.

Thanks in advance
Simply put water is flowing in faster than it will flow out.

(A) check for an obstruction or closed valve in the drain line

(B) if the drain line is open,,,, reduce the amount of water being pumped in
(a) close down (adjust) the spray valve on the inlet nozzle to reduce the volume of water going into the tank
(b) run the pump intermittently to allow the drain line flow rate to keep up with the flow rate coming in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2021, 07:35 AM
Wallhanger

I have the exact same issue in my 2011 Lund Impact rear livewell. I used to use the standpipe type of drain plug, the one with a drain on the top of the pipe. I quit using it because when I had a livewell full of rambunctious fish, it would get knocked out of the drain in the bottom. I switched over to a toggle type plug with a cord tied to it so I could pull the plug without sticking my hand into the well with a bunch of toothy critters to plug the plug.

Looking back, my drain issues started when I switched plugs. In trying to diagnose the problem, I blew out every line in both directions with compressed air and fairly high pressure water with no results. The overflow line from both livewells ties into the drain line underneath the LW and exits through the transom. The front livewell drains through the hull.

I noticed a slight sag in the drain line. I tied it up with a cord until it was more level which seemed to help. When I was last out fishing a few weeks ago the livewell overflowed again. I figured that I'd just try to figure it out next April.

If I had to guess right now what the cause is I would say that the overflow is not vented well enough. Especially when the LW lid is closed there may not be sufficient air available to provide adequate venting to the drain. Think about a straw with your finger on top, it won't drain. You would think that the engineers would have thought of that when it was designed.

One poster mentioned something about a valve underneath. There is no valve. Dave made a point about the water coming in faster than it can go out, and I agree and will try his suggestion of turning the fill valve down. However, the drain and overflow lines are fairly large, about 1" to 1 1/4", and the fill line is small. I'm still thinking inadequate venting.

Mark
Old 11-19-2021, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
I have the exact same issue in my 2011 Lund Impact rear livewell.

If I had to guess right now what the cause is I would say that the overflow is not vented well enough. Especially when the LW lid is closed there may not be sufficient air available to provide adequate venting to the drain. Think about a straw with your finger on top, it won't drain. You would think that the engineers would have thought of that when it was designed.

One poster mentioned something about a valve underneath. There is no valve. Dave made a point about the water coming in faster than it can go out, and I agree and will try his suggestion of turning the fill valve down. However, the drain and overflow lines are fairly large, about 1" to 1 1/4", and the fill line is small. I'm still thinking inadequate venting.

Mark
Inadequate venting,,,,,,,,,, would/could be the reason for a slow flow rate on the drainage side of the system. I'm guessing most live well lids don't sit that tight or are wrapped with carpet, allowing plenty of air to enter. But maybe not in all cases.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:28 AM
Wallhanger

Adjust the Spray nozzel (fill valve) a bit... for a starting point.
That may be all there is to it.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
That's what i do with my Impact, i open up the inlet valve until the well is 3/4 full then i close it down to about a 1/3 open. Never overflowed on me and enough fresh water coming in to not be an issue with the fish.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:18 PM
Wallhanger

Check the overflow for obstruction and or check the live well valve for proper operation or adjust your spray nozzle. Maybe the live well pump GPM is too high, a 500 GPM pump is more than enough for a live well
Old 11-19-2021, 12:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Thanks, that's the first thing that I'll try come spring. Attempt no. 2 is to go back to using the standpipe with something to keep the pesky walleyes from knocking it out of the drain.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:41 PM
Minnow

I have 2012 impact 1775 with same issues, but only when I run pumps in manual. The automatic cycle allows water to drain properly, so I think by adjusting the water flow into livewell will fix the problem like others have said.