Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need some recommendations on a small tin boat. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-14-2021, 07:10 PM
Keeper

Default Need some recommendations on a small tin boat.

I have a Warrior V2121, but I'm looking to acquire a small tin boat I can use to fish and map some of the smaller lakes in my area where launching the Warrior isn't an option. The more I research these boats, the more different opinions I come across and the more confusing it gets. I'm hoping those who have owned a 14' or 16' tin boat or used them extensively at lodges can help me out.
  • My first question is regarding 14' vs 16'. When I research this topic, everyone says to get the 16'. I get that there is more room with the 16' and it will ride better. But this isn't a boat I'm planning to run any big water in. I'll be out in it lots launching and running alone so I'm trying to keep it simple. Is 14' better suited to my needs or should I still be looking at a 16'? My son and I will fish in it from time to time, but that's about it.

• I'm currently leaning towards a Lund SSV-14 (rated for 30HP) with the light Yamaha F25 or a SSV-16 (rated for 40HP) with a Suzuki DF30 . That's based mostly on local availability (the only other boat local to me is a G3 Guide V16). I'm pretty sure I won't go wrong with a SSV, but I'm open to other suggestions if someone can explain their choice.

• Next is the outboard. Several of the small lakes I plan to take it on are limited to electric motors only, so I'll likely have something else I could use for trolling in a pinch. I would like it to get on plane fairly quick for mapping at low speeds. I've read the 14's in particular can send the bow skyward with only one person in the boat, so that's a concern. But I have also read that much above 30HP in either boat will put you out of trolling range and you will need a kicker. I've read (and the local Lund dealer swears) that 15HP is fine for either, and I've read about a guy that repowered a SSV-16 from a 30 to a 50 because he felt it was too sluggish. Outboard selection is the most confusing aspect of this purchase.

• My last question has to do with mapping on an electric only lake. Will a 12V last all day with a good battery, or will I need to run a 36V Vantage I keep as a spare for my Warrior to make it through a day?

Sorry that's so long-winded. Feel free to answer any or all of my questions. Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2021, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

yes, yes, no, no, yes, yes no, absolutely.

A 14 or a 16 foot boat will work well.

A 15 hp engine is a good compromise for either boat on small lakes.

A 12, 24, 36, 48, or 60 volt trolling motor will power your boat just fine.

Use a long hose on the gas tank so that you can keep the gas tank up front.

If running an electric trolling motor, use long power cables to the battery so that you can keep the batteries in the middle of the boat.

The gas tank and batteries will help to compensate for your weight in the back of the boat.

Take care

Last edited by REW; 01-14-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:59 AM
Keeper

If I were looking for a small water tin boat, I'd be looking at a Grizzly 1648 with a 9.9 and electric on the bow. Small enough for one guy to handle, the 9.9 will let you fish hp restricted lakes, and they are one rugged boat.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2021, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

The SSV is a proven boat for the type of fishing you're wanting to do, it should meet your expectations. Not sure if you have an Alumacraft dealer near by, if so you might consider a 14' escape, it's a nice boat. I had a similar sized boat, a 146 Sea Nymph that had a 15hp and it was plenty of motor for that deep v, even with two guys.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:50 AM
Wallhanger

Did allot of fishing from a 14 foot boat growing up. Since you already have a big boat. I would stick with a 14 foot boat. Biggest engine We had was a 9.9. Engine size might depend if you go with a full wood floor or not. You would have more weight with the wood floor. Other big advantage of the 14 foot boat with not more then 15 hp. Is launching and using the boat on shallow river systems. Some of the rivers and small lakes do not have much for a boat launch. Light boat and motor are great for those. Not to mention get a boat with oars. For the shallow areas.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:09 PM
Keeper

Went and looked at both today. The SSV-16 looks huge side by side with the SSV-14. I'm sure the 14' would be fine. It looks like the outboard may be the real problem. I went to the Suzuki Marine dealer down the street and asked for a quote and they just laughed at me. Apparently outboards are going to be a very scarce commodity this season.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:22 PM
Wallhanger

Did you ask at the lund dealer for a outboard. Dealer where you are buying the boat would be more motivated to find a motor. Maybe you do not want Mercury. There are some Mercury’s out yet with shift on the handle. Forward and reverse on the twist handle. My dad got one last year. Very nice for back trolling lindy rigs. Did you look at lunds wc 14 foot boat. Maybe that’s to basic for you.

Last edited by Snowking; 01-15-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:20 PM
Keeper

The dealer with the Lunds sells Honda and Mercury. I don't have a problem with either, but both are quite heavy in these HP ratings. The Yamaha F25 is crazy light because it's a two cylinder, and the Suzuki the lightest (and one of the best) 30's.

No one has a WC around me. I don't really need an IPS hull for what I am doing. But who knows what you eventually get caught out in. WCs are almost as heavy as the SSVs now, particularly the 14s. I do believe the SSVs have a bit more freeboard. Coming from a Warrior V-2121, I like freeboard. lol.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:29 PM
Wallhanger

I have a 14ft tracker grizzly 1448 with a 30hp 4 stroke. I know it's only rated for a 25hp but that's what came on it when I bought it. Anyway, we fish musky with 2 guys out of it and it on the tributaries and it has enough room. I fish solo out of it quite a bit as well. I have a 12v 55lb thrust minn kota that pulls it around for 6 hr trips with no problems. I am sure it would do a full day. I also don't run the tm on full power most of the time. Most boats are easy to launch and load no matter the size. The only thing that matters is your launch. I had a 25ft sport boat that I launched and loaded by myself quite a bit but I always had a dock to launch it. My ZV18 was the same way. Piece of cake to launch and load by myself. You just get a system down and follow it. I would like to find a 16ft or 17ft jon boat to upgrade the 1448 but honestly that little boat does everything I ask of it so I am in no hurry to replace it.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:43 PM
Wallhanger

Did you buy that tracker new and over powered. If so that dealer should not be open. Cannot do that if they know what they are doing.