Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Monarch food - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 03:26 PM
Wallhanger

Default Monarch food

So I see the Monarch butterfly are in danger. I decide to try to help and plant some seeds, milkweed and butterfly weed. Well they are growing, about 8" tall. Now the problem, I guess. Yesterday I see the monarch caterpillars on two of them. Neat right. Not so much. They are young and hungry. They ate all the leaves off my two young plants. Today I see they moved to another two young plants, and are eating the leaves off of that. Bitter sweet. I am doing what I started out to do, and now I have bare stems sticking up. Can't win.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Minnow

Isn't that the intended outcome though? You need little ones to make big ones.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:10 PM
Wallhanger

Sounds like you need to plant another acre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 06:03 AM
Wallhanger

Yep, doing what I wanted to do. What I hope for now is that the bare stems grow new leaves.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Not sure if this is "tongue-in-check" (pun?), but I thought the whole idea was to furnish something for the creatures to eat, leaves being the supplied food. So....

Bill
Old 07-23-2019, 03:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Not sure if this is "tongue-in-check" (pun?), but I thought the whole idea was to furnish something for the creatures to eat, leaves being the supplied food. So....

Bill
Yep, you correct. But being the first time I did something like this, I had no idea how hungry the little guys are. I just hope the bare stems grow new leaves.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Milkweeds are hard to kill once they are established. They spread at a moderate pace. We've let them grow in numerous un-mowed areas for years. Once they get established they continue to spread as our patches get larger every year.

I'd guess that your plants will bounce back eventually. Unless they have not yet established a good root system. I see more and more people allowing Milkweed to grow anymore. Folks are getting the hang of it now.

I'm also seeing more Monarchs the past couple years so I think they will rebound eventually. Last year I was counting dozens at a time on one of our roadside patches that is doing really well.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 07-23-2019, 04:30 PM
Wallhanger

I agree. And am totally happy that what I planted was a success. Two caterpillars eating away.