Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Alumacraft Quality DOWN - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-20-2020, 06:30 PM
EasternWashingtonBoater EasternWashingtonBoater is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritonguy View Post
The Trophy, Competitor 205, and Tournament (T-Pro) models actually have two sheets of .10 making a total hull thickness of .20 for them. The Edge and the other Competitors have double .08 sheets giving them a total of .16 thickness.
Good info. My TS Sport's hull's thicker than a Thunderjet's! Or a Duckworth's!

https://www.thunderjet.com/boat/canyon-jet/
Sides 0.125 / 5052
Bottom 0.190 / 5086
Transom 0.190 / 5052
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32  
Old 02-21-2020, 04:26 AM
ltrain ltrain is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternWashingtonBoater View Post
Good info. My TS Sport's hull's thicker than a Thunderjet's! Or a Duckworth's!

https://www.thunderjet.com/boat/canyon-jet/
Sides 0.125 / 5052
Bottom 0.190 / 5086
Transom 0.190 / 5052
Well to be fair that's 2 one hundredths of an inch thicker hull and 25 one hundredths thinner sides. The Thunderjet outboards transom is .250 thick, you cited a jet boat. Not to mention the (4) Full Length Formed-In External Hull Stiffeners and the Full Length Engineered Box Stringers
Not saying anything wrong with Alumacraft at all, actually think it's a nice boat but you can't compare the hull to a Northwest Pacific welded plate boat. Totally different beast.
__________________
1987 Lund Baron
2005 Yamaha f150
1998 15 hp Mariner 2stroke with controllking
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
BG Zeus2 12
(2) Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-21-2020, 08:46 AM
EasternWashingtonBoater EasternWashingtonBoater is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Well to be fair that's 2 one hundredths of an inch thicker hull and 25 one hundredths thinner sides. The Thunderjet outboards transom is .250 thick, you cited a jet boat. Not to mention the (4) Full Length Formed-In External Hull Stiffeners and the Full Length Engineered Box Stringers
Not saying anything wrong with Alumacraft at all, actually think it's a nice boat but you can't compare the hull to a Northwest Pacific welded plate boat. Totally different beast.
Just being proud of my Alumacraft!!

I live in the PNW (Spokane, WA) and see the plate boats all the time - it's obvious they're a different kind of boat. Hewescraft/Raider are made less than 100 miles north of here (Colville), and the others like Thunderjet are made just over 100 miles south of here. (Lewiston/Clarkston). The plate boats are very common ...

The local boat shows have huge selections of plate boats - from giant trawlers to the basic sportsman's.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-21-2020, 10:56 AM
LuvMyLabs LuvMyLabs is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
Default

Well,

Where do I start, last year bought a new 2019 Alumacraft Competitor 205 Tiller with Yamaha VMAX 115 hp tiller. Let me start with the positive. We really like the boat, performance with this motor is great, 2 people, 2 80lb labs and all our gear.

The ride is pretty good more do to length than hull design I believe, don't get me wrong we like the ride but it is still an aluminum boat.

This is not a cheap boat by any means $50,000 here in Ontario BEFORE TM, batteries, charger and graphs. The boat we wanted was 3 times this for boat, motor and trailer so I guess all things compared it's a ok price.


Now the negatives!

This is our second 205 hull, the first one was returned for another hull before it even touched water. The quality control was disgusting on our first hull, with most of the issues not apparent in the show room. It wasn't till I was on my back under the boat wiping salt off from towing home in February that I found the defects.

1) I could put a screw driver between the keel and hull
2) Rivets were bucked again after the paint was applied.
- This means that the hull was probably leaking and they tried to fix it and not repaint it.
3) Dents in the seam that joined the bottom hull to the side walls.
- I guarantee this would have leaked!
4) Carpet that was torn out of the storage bins and not replaced
5) Screws holding the dash panel were stripped
6) Rivets missing from bracing in the bow battery compartments, who knows where else

I could go on but don't feel like typing anymore!!

Back and forth with the dealer for 3 months trying to get Alumacaft to take ownership of this crap. Never got a reply from Alumacraft and still haven't 12 months later! Not even an apology!

I told my dealer if Alumacraft isn't going to do anything then I am returning the boat since it has not even touched water yet! They did right by offering to buy another hull from a dealer they work with sometimes.. I agreed.

The wife and I like this boat and as the person who rigged everything but the motor. There are aspects of the design I am pleased with compared to my Lund Alaskan even though it's not a apples to apples comparison.

I would never buy another Alumacraft just because of the pure lack of any descent customer service. At least here in Ontario there is none, the Rep for Alumacraft still hasn't contacted me. Since last year!

I never yelled or cursed was always polite, it's my opinion that "stuff happens" and all company has to do is make it right... They made 0 effort and lost a customer.

Word of advice go over your new Alumacrafts with a magnifying glass!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-21-2020, 01:41 PM
drifter106 drifter106 is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: se kansas
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyLabs View Post
Well,

Where do I start, last year bought a new 2019 Alumacraft Competitor 205 Tiller with Yamaha VMAX 115 hp tiller. Let me start with the positive. We really like the boat, performance with this motor is great, 2 people, 2 80lb labs and all our gear.

The ride is pretty good more do to length than hull design I believe, don't get me wrong we like the ride but it is still an aluminum boat.

This is not a cheap boat by any means $50,000 here in Ontario BEFORE TM, batteries, charger and graphs. The boat we wanted was 3 times this for boat, motor and trailer so I guess all things compared it's a ok price.


Now the negatives!

This is our second 205 hull, the first one was returned for another hull before it even touched water. The quality control was disgusting on our first hull, with most of the issues not apparent in the show room. It wasn't till I was on my back under the boat wiping salt off from towing home in February that I found the defects.

1) I could put a screw driver between the keel and hull
2) Rivets were bucked again after the paint was applied.
- This means that the hull was probably leaking and they tried to fix it and not repaint it.
3) Dents in the seam that joined the bottom hull to the side walls.
- I guarantee this would have leaked!
4) Carpet that was torn out of the storage bins and not replaced
5) Screws holding the dash panel were stripped
6) Rivets missing from bracing in the bow battery compartments, who knows where else

I could go on but don't feel like typing anymore!!

Back and forth with the dealer for 3 months trying to get Alumacaft to take ownership of this crap. Never got a reply from Alumacraft and still haven't 12 months later! Not even an apology!

I told my dealer if Alumacraft isn't going to do anything then I am returning the boat since it has not even touched water yet! They did right by offering to buy another hull from a dealer they work with sometimes.. I agreed.

The wife and I like this boat and as the person who rigged everything but the motor. There are aspects of the design I am pleased with compared to my Lund Alaskan even though it's not a apples to apples comparison.

I would never buy another Alumacraft just because of the pure lack of any descent customer service. At least here in Ontario there is none, the Rep for Alumacraft still hasn't contacted me. Since last year!

I never yelled or cursed was always polite, it's my opinion that "stuff happens" and all company has to do is make it right... They made 0 effort and lost a customer.

Word of advice go over your new Alumacrafts with a magnifying glass!

thanks for the reply...are you currently stuck with all they problems? Wondering how they managed to let this boat slip past quality control...geesh, I am contemplating buying the exact same boat. Don't need a 40,000 headache.

Please keep us informed!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-21-2020, 05:26 PM
LuvMyLabs LuvMyLabs is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
Default

No I'm not stuck with the problems. My dealer purchased the same hull from another dealer that they work with from time to time and last I heard sent my original hull back to Alumacraft.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-21-2020, 06:56 PM
2sac's Avatar
2sac 2sac is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 1,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Did you sell your rig yet?

Havenít been in one but love the layout of the Alumacraft 205.
Not yet. Got a guy coming to look at it next week
__________________
Is "basstiality" the same as sleeping with the fishes?

2013 Lund Predator 2010
2013 Mercury 225 Pro XS
112lb Terrova Ipilot Link
1198/1199
8ft Talon

1970 Lund 14 footer
1960's Evinrude 15hp
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.