Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
In Line Planer Boards vs. Large Planer Boards - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-28-2020, 05:09 PM
Slot Fish

Default In Line Planer Boards vs. Large Planer Boards

Hi Gang,

For those of you using in-line planer boards just wondering why you chose them over the big boards. For years Iíve been using large planer boards with the planer board reel mounted to the supports holding up my hard top.

The disadvantage I see to inline planer boards is fighting the board when you get a fish. On the other hand the amount of line you let out to reach a certain depth with inline planer boards is probably more consistent since each line enters the water at the same point. With big boards the distance the line actually enters the water is different depending on how far down the release is on the line going to the big board.

Just trying to see why you chose in-line planer boards over big boards.

Thanks,
Donscs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2020, 06:32 PM
Wallhanger

I think the general consensus is that inline boards have a higher hookup ratio than the big boards.
Funny that you mention fighting the board with inlines, that's why i was gunshy at first with them. Then i found Sidewinder boards, added an offshore clip, and I've been loving it ever since. Sidewinders release and slide down your line so you never fight or take off the board, your line actually runs through the middle of it.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 72" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 11-28-2020, 07:46 PM
Wallhanger

How big is your boat? I have tried the big board set up on a smaller boat and it isn't the best because of the tow pull. The smaller boards are great for smaller rigs in my opinion ( and you asked) I also think the hookup ratio is better on the smaller boards. I see many of the charter boats on Quinte with the masts but using the in-line boards

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2020, 09:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
I think the general consensus is that inline boards have a higher hookup ratio than the big boards.
Funny that you mention fighting the board with inlines, that's why i was gunshy at first with them. Then i found Sidewinder boards, added an offshore clip, and I've been loving it ever since. Sidewinders release and slide down your line so you never fight or take off the board, your line actually runs through the middle of it.

Isnít that a hassle for storing rods? Also where did you add the clip in place of the puck ?
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-29-2020, 06:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Isnít that a hassle for storing rods? Also where did you add the clip in place of the puck ?
I was able to get 6 inside the side storage of my Baron and it's a pretty small locker. When traveling to location on he water i put them in vertical rod holders. I'll post a picture of the clip mod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201025_145025.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	659.6 KB
ID:	322660  
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 72" Traxtech tracks
Old 11-29-2020, 09:40 AM
Wallhanger

For me why I use small Inlineís is also storage. It was a pain to store the large boards in walleye size 17 to 19 foot boats. Plus I think for walleye fishing your stayed hooked ratio is better. You do not have the large slack line when the release goes off. I do set my small boards to release with a tug now. The fishing 411 guys method. It works very well on Lake Erie. I slowly let the board back before releasing. Keeps it away from tangling in the other boards.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:09 PM
Wallhanger

Default Nice

I am going to have to give them a try. I have plenty of room to store the bigger boards but they can be a hassle especial with small braid which is what I like to use. My rod locker is full 16 rods and seems these will cause me a problem. I saw they say to use a bead and a swivel, perhaps I can put a release on the rod side of the line to connect to the swivel.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-30-2020, 09:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I am going to have to give them a try. I have plenty of room to store the bigger boards but they can be a hassle especial with small braid which is what I like to use. My rod locker is full 16 rods and seems these will cause me a problem. I saw they say to use a bead and a swivel, perhaps I can put a release on the rod side of the line to connect to the swivel.
Yep, bead and swivel that's what board slides down to. No way to get board off the line though, line runs through center of the board. If you want to remove boards then you'll have to use conventional boards.
Board is small though, don't get in my way but i realize everybody's space needs are different.
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 72" Traxtech tracks
Old 11-30-2020, 10:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Yep, bead and swivel that's what board slides down to. No way to get board off the line though, line runs through center of the board. If you want to remove boards then you'll have to use conventional boards.
Board is small though, don't get in my way but i realize everybody's space needs are different.
Any reason I can't just use a release clip on the line side and clip that to the swivel or am I missing something ?
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-30-2020, 10:55 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Any reason I can't just use a release clip on the line side and clip that to the swivel or am I missing something ?
I'll show a pic of setup you'll see that you can't remove board from illustration better than I'm explaining it.
The only difference when i run then is that i put an offshore release where line attaches to board side, really works well.
It's exciting to see that board slide back instead of having to look for a little flag or board tug.
Also as board slides down the line it clears your next board and you just stand in middle of the boat and reel up the chute. No tangles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201130-104852_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	322664  
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40