Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Strangest thing you ever snagged? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Keeper

Default Strangest thing you ever snagged?

Last year on O'Sullivan Lake in the Nakina area my son was reeling in his line and brought up a crusted Shakespeare spinning combo, hooked on the very last guide. I have no idea why I still think about this from time to time, but I do. Like now, when its 15 F out and I'm happily adding jigs and spoons to my online shopping cart.

I was astonished, (He wasn't that impressed) if by nothing more than the mathematical odds of snagging a lost rod, on a very large body of water. IN THE CANADIAN WILDERNESS. My hunch is that it is less likely to occur than rolling a 6 eight times in a row (some of the only perspective I got...helped my son in algebra this last month).

Years ago at Cass Lake in Minnesota, I jigged up a rubber band from 15 feet of water in which my hook had actually penetrated the skinny band itself. The odds of THAT has to be extremely unlikely. But MORE likely than my wife allowing me to go to Canada TWICE yearly.

Last edited by andreindy; 02-02-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Minnow

Iím with you that the odds are not in your favor but it maybe happens more often than reported. 2 years ago my son hooked an old pool cue Shakespeare Rod with a very old Mitchell 300 on it in 30 ft of water jogging for Walleyes. This was on a fly in portage lake off the outpost camp we were on 175 miles north of RedLake. Iíd bet it doesnít see more than half a dozen fisherman at most per year.
I do the same thing you do and think about it often. I hung it on the porch of the cabin. Iíve been blessed to havenít miss a year at that camp for 42 years. Iím looking forward to seeing our 72Ē trophyĒ catch again in August this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

There are a lot of fishing gear on the bottom of all lakes in Canada. I can think of several rod & reels lost from groups that I have been with, plus the stories around camp.

My story? OK. Several years ago there were four boats in our group fishing Lac Seul. One boat owner placed his brand new St. Croix spinning rod and brand new Shimano reel in a rod holder and moved to another location about five miles away. Well they get to the new spot and the new rig is gone. To say he was heart sick would be an understatement.

Two days later one of our other boats snags and brings up a brand new St. Croix and Shimano spinning reel rig. They were jig fishing the same area of OPEN water where the other boat had been fishing just before losing the rod and reel. While jigging they caught our cabin mates new rig.

Please tell me the odds of that happening?! Finding it in the first place and one of your cabin mates is the one to hook and recover it? This was in twenty five foot of water on a drop off. I told the guy who lost the rod and reel that he needed to put the value of the recovered rod and reel into the church offering when they got home.

Had I not seen it I would never have believed it.

Everyone catches "stuff" off the bottom on occasion. There for a while I had picked up lost spinner rigs, wads of mono some fool threw overboard, corroded old spoons for some reason were my specialty there for a couple years.

It's like Christmas in some areas of a lake that get fished regularly.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Last edited by Pooch; 02-03-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling once more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

As a child, I was given a ring by my dentist for being a "good" patient. I wore that ring while swimming at my aunt's cottage. The ring fell of my hand that afternoon and was lost. I hooked that same ring a few days later while casting a Daredevle off the end of the dock. I don't remember if the ring caused my fingers to turn green.

A few years ago, I had a anchor rope slip from my boat's cleat while fishing on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. I recorded a waypoint so I could come back to the same area the next day. It took about thirty minutes of casting a jig with my musky rod to hook the anchor line. That catch saved me about $100 for the anchor, chain and line.

My wife hooked an anchor line a few years ago casting for northern pike while on vacation in NW Ontario. She thought she had a giant pike on for a little while, as it did put up a good fight! It turns out that another guest had lost that anchor earlier in the week, so he was relieved to not have to pay for it!

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 02-02-2018, 10:19 PM
Wallhanger

About 4 years ago on Kabetogama, we were pulling spinners. The bite was fair to good. Felt the usual "tap", gave line, then set the hook. Kinda sluggish, no real fight, but nothing that would make me think it was anything other than a smallish walleye. Get it up to the boat and as it was netted, noted it was very odd looking. Get it aboard, and it was walleye skull with some decaying flesh on it, backbone, boney fins, and green skin hanging off of the remains of the body. Hooked perfectly in the corner of the jaw. Since then, we are very, very careful when we go out about making sure we are prepared to fight off the zombie walleye apocalypse.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Keeper

Many years ago. Forget the MN lake, but fishing with my father. He pulled up a soaking wet winter parka. Before giving it much thought, unhooked it and let it sink back to the bottom. No body inside, but was still creepy.
2013 Minn Kota PD V2 w/iPilot
Old 02-02-2018, 10:54 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
There are a lot of fishing gear on the bottom of all lakes in Canada. I can think of several rod & reels lost from groups that I have been with, plus the stories around camp.

My story? OK. Several years ago there were four boats in our group fishing Lac Seul. One boat owner placed his brand new St. Croix spinning rod and brand new Shimano reel in a rod holder and moved to another location about five miles away. Well they get to the new spot and the new rig is gone. To say he was heart sick would be an understatement.

Two days later one of our other boats snags and brings up a brand new St. Croix and Shimano spinning reel rig. They were jig fishing the same area of OPEN water where the other boat had been fishing just before losing the rod and reel. While jigging they caught our cabin mates new rig.

Please tell me the odds of that happening?! Finding it in the first place and one of your cabin mates is the one to hook and recover it? This was in twenty five foot of water on a drop off. I told the guy who lost the rod and reel that he needed to put the value of the recovered rod and reel into the church offering when they got home.

Had I not seen it I would never have believed it.

Everyone catches "stuff" off the bottom on occasion. There for a while I had picked up lost spinner rigs, wads of mono some fool threw overboard, corroded old spoons for some reason we my specialty there for a couple years.

It's like Christmas in some areas of a lake that get fished regularly.

Pooch
Correct on your spinning rod!!!....those odds are even less likely than me finding a needed screw (size, thread, metal type) from my accumulated bucket-of-random-screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
About 4 years ago on Kabetogama, we were pulling spinners. The bite was fair to good. Felt the usual "tap", gave line, then set the hook. Kinda sluggish, no real fight, but nothing that would make me think it was anything other than a smallish walleye. Get it up to the boat and as it was netted, noted it was very odd looking. Get it aboard, and it was walleye skull with some decaying flesh on it, backbone, boney fins, and green skin hanging off of the remains of the body. Hooked perfectly in the corner of the jaw. Since then, we are very, very careful when we go out about making sure we are prepared to fight off the zombie walleye apocalypse.
This made me laugh right out loud. You know your presentation is dialed in when you are fooling even dead fish.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:35 AM
Slot Fish

My brother broke off a jig in rocks 20ft plus deep, one of my jigs of course. 3 days later fishing the same area he pulls up that lost jig (unique, so knew it was same one) - Tip of his jig hook caught the lost one perfectly in the eye, it had broken off at the knot. Was not where he hooked broken off line. It was one of those are you kidding me moments.

Dan
Old 02-03-2018, 06:47 AM
Keeper

My brother snagged a couple times while fishing at the **** for walleye last spring......he kept snagging in the same spot so I told him not to just keep cutting the line but bring the snag up and get rid of it. He finally did. It was a boat anchor line, complete with an anchor and tons of hooks, lures, etc......ironically, he lost an anchor of mine years earlier so I kept the anchor he snagged, so now he just owes me a good anchor rope yet.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I've hooked 2 or 3 old rods/reels over the years. At least one was in the wilds of the Great White North. I can't even remember all the odd crap though.

One that stands out though. Again in Canada, hooked what I thought was a decent walleye, I was in a narrows section of a flowage with some current, around 20' of water, fought like crazy. Turned out to be an old, stinking, hunk of skin. Pretty large and assumed it was moose but could have been beaver. I did not really try to determine.

I was bass fishing a strip mine pond with a friend from the bank, broke off (worm hook). A few days later, the same friend handed me the hook back... Around a 10-15 acre pond and he was on the opposite side. Pretty unique style of hook and line so it was mine.

Snagged 1/2 of a Moose rack in shallow water once, could see what it was (after assuming it was a stick) and retrieved it by hand and net.