Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Strangest thing you ever snagged? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-03-2018, 10:48 AM
Slot Fish

Fishing with my 9 year old a couple years ago. We were fishing this spot about 4 miles from the cabin. He layed his rod down to do something. Next thing we know it is going over the side and I was not quick enough to grab it. Quickly set a waypoint on the GPS. Looked through the tackle bag and did not have anything heavy with big hooks on it. Ran back to the cabin and grabbed a bunch of heavy spoons and the biggest treble hooks could find. Went back out the waypoint and started working the area. I had the benefit of the wind and that we were drifting with light weights and long leaders so the rod had a lot of line out. After about 15 minutes of casting and trolling around I hooked something. Pulled it up and had snagged the line. Pulled one end of the line carefully and pulled up the rod. Pulled on the other end to find a 2lb bass.

Saved me probably a $100 and best benefit is anytime kid lays rod down now I can remind him of the story. He keeps better track of it now.

I also did similar ice fishing one year that the older son dropped ice scoop down hole. It caught the line and pulled rod down hole. Fortunately it was the bobber rod so marked the bobber about 15 foot down on the vex. Took about 10 minutes to get that hooked. Managed to get rod and ice scoop back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
There are a lot of fishing gear on the bottom of all lakes in Canada. I can think of several rod & reels lost from groups that I have been with, plus the stories around camp.

My story? OK. Several years ago there were four boats in our group fishing Lac Seul. One boat owner placed his brand new St. Croix spinning rod and brand new Shimano reel in a rod holder and moved to another location about five miles away. Well they get to the new spot and the new rig is gone. To say he was heart sick would be an understatement.

Two days later one of our other boats snags and brings up a brand new St. Croix and Shimano spinning reel rig. They were jig fishing the same area of OPEN water where the other boat had been fishing just before losing the rod and reel. While jigging they caught our cabin mates new rig.

Please tell me the odds of that happening?! Finding it in the first place and one of your cabin mates is the one to hook and recover it? This was in twenty five foot of water on a drop off. I told the guy who lost the rod and reel that he needed to put the value of the recovered rod and reel into the church offering when they got home.

Had I not seen it I would never have believed it.

Everyone catches "stuff" off the bottom on occasion. There for a while I had picked up lost spinner rigs, wads of mono some fool threw overboard, corroded old spoons for some reason we my specialty there for a couple years.

It's like Christmas in some areas of a lake that get fished regularly.

Pooch

Iíve got a couple odd things and one is about the exact same as yours pooch. There was a boat from the campground that we were staying at that that lost a new st Croix rod with a quantum smoke reel. He was opening livewell and somehow popped the holder and all out and into the water. 2 days later we were trolling downriver and I had a piece of line attached when pulling in. On the first end of the line I found a jigging rap and on the other end was the guys rod and reel.

Another time trolling w my brothers, we each had a rod out, and a single brother pulled in a complete concrete block (which he thought was a fish), a sweatshirt, and a cabelas drift sock (near new). The drift sock was also a good battle. What are the odds that one guy would catch all 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Wallhanger

Fishing in Canada with a group of ten guys. Two of the guys were back trolling around several different islands. They hooked a nice northern with a walleye diver, as the fish was spinning it cut/broke the line. Couple hours later on the way back they trolled the same island and caught a nothern, as they netted it there was the lure in the northern's mouth they'd lost previously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
Fishing in Canada with a group of ten guys. Two of the guys were back trolling around several different islands. They hooked a nice northern with a walleye diver, as the fish was spinning it cut/broke the line. Couple hours later on the way back they trolled the same island and caught a nothern, as they netted it there was the lure in the northern's mouth they'd lost previously.
we were trolling erie a few yrs back and something hit one of the dicer rigs. got it back to the boat and it had a wire line hooked on the harness i was using. took the wire line in my hands and started bringing it in. had a nice 4# walleye at the other end with a nice crank bait in its mouth.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Minnow

Snagged the transducer off my Humminbird that I had lost two years previous
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	032 copy.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	285330  
Old 02-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Wallhanger

Family fishing trip on Hamlin lake in Michigan, my sister sets the hook on what she thinks is a trophy fish. It gets it to the surface and it looks like a big silver hub cap sized bluegill with human looking teeth! I correctly identified it as a South American Pacu. Must have outgrown someone's aquarium and released into the lake. Pic is a referance pic, not her actual fish but identical
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57ad9944c461887e5e8b457b.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	285338  
Old 02-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Family fishing trip on Hamlin lake in Michigan, my sister sets the hook on what she thinks is a trophy fish. It gets it to the surface and it looks like a big silver hub cap sized bluegill with human looking teeth! I correctly identified it as a South American Pacu. Must have outgrown someone's aquarium and released into the lake. Pic is a referance pic, not her actual fish but identical
Glad you caught it!! Just what we need is another invasive from an idiot dumping an aquarium.

What the heck did you do with it? Ever tell the DNR about it?

The looks alone would scare me!

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 02-03-2018, 06:02 PM
Slot Fish

]Fly fishing on the Current River in Missouri, 30 plus year ago, I snagged a leaf off of a tree on the back-cast. Reeled in the line to remove the leaf and discovered I had hooked another fly through the eye of the hook that another had lost in the tree on their back-cast. I still have the fly, but I don't use, don't want to loose it.[/SIZE][/I]
Old 02-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Keeper

Default Shared some of these with my Dad

Happened to have some "car time" with my Dad today and I shared several of these incredible stories. He had quite a chuckle. He reminded me of what the odds are that on one trip we lost 3 anchors and both fish baskets over the course of the week. I had to remind HIM that those odds were heavily influenced by our stupidity.

All of these posts kinda inspire me to run out and get a Powerball...
Old 02-04-2018, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

After perch fishing near Avon lake point on lake erie, I fought an anchor for a 1/2 hour until I brought up a driveshaft off of a car or small truck. My back recovered over the next week. Next time, I just cut my losses. It felt like I was pulling up the city's water supply pipeline. Ouch.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk