Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Is Canada Your Only Annual Fishing Experience? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 11-17-2020, 09:38 AM
Wallhanger

Default Is Canada Your Only Annual Fishing Experience?

When I read Pooch's post asking about what equipment you have sitting aside that didn't get used this year, it made me wonder how many of you don't fish at all if you don't go to Canada? Canada is without a doubt my favorite fishing experience of the year, but I still fish a fair amount locally during the remainder of the year.

I don't miss many weeks unless the weather is crappy or another outdoor activity takes precedent for a weekend here and there. I probably fish about 40 times a year, maybe even a little more. How about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2020, 10:15 AM
Wallhanger

I do the following trips every year:

Black Lake NY
St. Lawrence River NY
Susquehanna River PA
Wild trout streams in PA mountains
Canada
Old 11-17-2020, 10:54 AM
Keeper

Other than fishing locally, we usually road trip to Venice LA each year. 2020 we went twice! We hire a guide, easy trip for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
When I read Pooch's post asking about what equipment you have sitting aside that didn't get used this year, it made me wonder how many of you don't fish at all if you don't go to Canada? Canada is without a doubt my favorite fishing experience of the year, but I still fish a fair amount locally during the remainder of the year.

I don't miss many weeks unless the weather is crappy or another outdoor activity takes precedent for a weekend here and there. I probably fish about 40 times a year, maybe even a little more. How about you?
I used to fish strip mines in our area, but after a few trips to Canada and limited amount of time I could spend fishing, I just gave up fishing locally and focused on Canada. I used to make three trips to Canada a summer and spent over thirty days a year on the water up there. Last year I cut it back to half that so we could focus more on racing. Canada is still my fishing fix and would go back to thirty days a year when I finally totally retire. I'm seventy three come spring and hope to have a lot more races in me along with a bunch more fishing trips. Eventually will age out in both sports.

I think there are a lot pf people that only fish once a year and do it in Canada as a vacation.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 11-17-2020, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

I've always had my own boat, so I've fished locally more than in Canada. For a few years I was part of a group that did a yearly fly-in out of Ear Falls or Red Lake, Ontario. After that died out, I did a few drive-to trips with a friend to Reed Lake, Manitoba right after ice-out. Now with a group that does a every-other-year houseboat trip out of Ear Falls. Hopefully that will be possible next fall. I also do 5-6 boat-in camping trips to Voyageur's National Park each year, mostly solo. Prior to this year, that included ventures across the border in Rainy and Namakan. Hopefully that also will be possible next summer.
I consider myself very lucky that I can do all this. Hopefully for a few more years.

Read your owner's manual.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Wallhanger

Montana in 2 weeks
Old 11-17-2020, 12:31 PM
Wallhanger

From May until Oct 4, we spent most weekends at our camper in northern WI. I think we skipped three weekends due to other commitments and stayed nine straight days there in July. We fished about 90% of those days. We'll be at Leech Lake, MN for a week between Christmas and New Year. Canada is still my favorite fishing trip. It's not even close.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
I've always had my own boat, so I've fished locally more than in Canada. For a few years I was part of a group that did a yearly fly-in out of Ear Falls or Red Lake, Ontario. After that died out, I did a few drive-to trips with a friend to Reed Lake, Manitoba right after ice-out. Now with a group that does a every-other-year houseboat trip out of Ear Falls. Hopefully that will be possible next fall. I also do 5-6 boat-in camping trips to Voyageur's National Park each year, mostly solo. Prior to this year, that included ventures across the border in Rainy and Namakan. Hopefully that also will be possible next summer.
I consider myself very lucky that I can do all this. Hopefully for a few more years.
We've kicked around the idea of spending a week on a houseboat on one of the big lakes like Lac Seul. I think it would be a blast. I hope you don't mind if I reach out to you for advice if we ever get around to actually doing it. Our next trip is a fly-in provided we get to go next year.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:40 PM
Minnow

Quote:

I am over seventy, live in Virginia so I only fish Canada. Try to make two trips a year. Drive in to Lake Saint Joseph and a flyin with Slate Falls. Started fifteen years ago with Saintjo guy, my sons father-n law. Fell in love with walleye and northern fishing. The only other fishing I do is when the family goes to the Outter Banks, NC for vacation. The son, son in law, grandson will do an offshore trip Gave up bass fishing decades ago. Canada stole my heart.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:18 PM
Keeper

Quote:

We usually make two or three trips to the Sioux Lookout area every year. This year we couldn't go due to covid and since I had shoulder surgery in June I wasn't able to fish anywhere until August. Short season for me, but I sure hope that I can make up for it in 2021. I live in Minnesota and since I'm retired now I do a lot of local fishing and usually a trip or two to Michigan.