Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
garage hacks - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Brian,
You said that you want to have your boat left hooked to your garage when you BACK in.

Rather, why not create the space in such a way that you can simply drive through your garage, so that you never have to back in.

i.e. open up the front garage door and pull in and park.

Then, when leaving, open up the back door and drive right on out. No turning, no backing etc.

If you need to, rearrange the building site for a turn around on the back of the house.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2020, 09:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Brian,
You said that you want to have your boat left hooked to your garage when you BACK in.

Rather, why not create the space in such a way that you can simply drive through your garage, so that you never have to back in.

i.e. open up the front garage door and pull in and park.

Then, when leaving, open up the back door and drive right on out. No turning, no backing etc.

If you need to, rearrange the building site for a turn around on the back of the house.

Take care
That was my first thought when we were looking for lots. Couldn't find a lot that was big enough for that and that laid out the correct way. Believe me, we looked for it. Thanks REW!
Old 11-28-2020, 09:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin123 View Post
oh i forgot, whats the trend around here is instead of drywalling the walls and ceilings and paint to make as pretty as your living room people are putting in osb plywood then paint, now you can throw in nails and screws anywhere to hang stuff and no more car door dents in drywall and can bang around more , blow out cobb webs with hose, etc. any decent carpenter can make the seems butt tight im for sure gonna do that on next house
That sounds like a great idea (using osb plywood instead of drywall) but the price of lumber/osb is 3X higher now during Covid than it was pre-Covid, so I don't think I will be doing that in my garage. I will have 9 foot ceilings in the garage and 8 foot garage doors. Hopefully that will be plenty high enough for the boat and truck. Thanks again Yellowfin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2020, 11:09 AM
Keeper

not sure about down there but for me its actually i little cheaper cuz you eliminate the cost of your taper and i wont cost nothin hardly to at least do the one wall where your garage door tracks bolt too its just more solid than bolting over the drywall even though a stud behind it. sorry to get off topic about the storage lol. id love to hear about lake qauchita where your going to be ive heard its a beautiful lake with alota big striper
Old 11-29-2020, 03:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin123 View Post
not sure about down there but for me its actually i little cheaper cuz you eliminate the cost of your taper and i wont cost nothin hardly to at least do the one wall where your garage door tracks bolt too its just more solid than bolting over the drywall even though a stud behind it. sorry to get off topic about the storage lol. id love to hear about lake qauchita where your going to be ive heard its a beautiful lake with alota big striper
You're not off topic. Storage ideas are exactly what I'm looking for so thanks! As far as Lake Ouchita, it is a beautifal lake. Only have fished it twice so far but looking forward to learning it once we move down there. 40,000 plus acres with no homes on the shorelines. It is beautiful for sure! Thank YF...
Old 12-01-2020, 10:30 AM
Wallhanger

With that size garage. Make sure you put in enough electric outlets. Normally put a sub panel in. I would recommend some 12 gauge wire to 20 amp outlets. The rest can be setup for 15 amp plugs. Some of the say dewalt 110 volt air compressors might suck up a little more Then 15 amps. I know my electric pressure washer recommends 20 amp circuit. It can trip a 15 amp breaker once in a while. If you are really going to have a fancy shop setup. Then some 220 outlets are great for some equipment. I disagree with REV. I would put some windows in for natural light. Windows or door with windows toward your house. Nice to see who is stopping by. Who’s car you just heard stop in the driveway. Led shop lights are great. Still nice to see out of a few windows. Someone wants to break in they will just bust threw the side door.

Last edited by Snowking; 12-01-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:03 PM
Wallhanger

Default quiet compressor

I know you didn't ask about compressors but I'd like to put a plug in for this one. I have had it for 3 years now and continue to be impressed with how quiet it is.
https://www.californiaairtools.com/u...tractor-grade/
Old 12-02-2020, 06:09 AM
Wallhanger

When I built a new shop a few years ago, I swore there would be no shelving on the walls, none of the usual clutter, the perpetual layer of dust that would always accumulate, instead everything would go in cabinets and be organized, easy to clean. The things that sat on shelves that filled two entire walls in my old much larger old shop, now fits nicely in drawers and shelves in cabinets. My garage/shop was built around that theme, it has worked out well, I would do it again in a flash. Just a thought while you are in the planning stage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100211 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	322676   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100210 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	322678  
Old 12-02-2020, 09:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
I know you didn't ask about compressors but I'd like to put a plug in for this one. I have had it for 3 years now and continue to be impressed with how quiet it is.
https://www.californiaairtools.com/u...tractor-grade/
Already have a compressor but thanks for thinking of that Clawman!
Old 12-02-2020, 09:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
With that size garage. Make sure you put in enough electric outlets. Normally put a sub panel in. I would recommend some 12 gauge wire to 20 amp outlets. The rest can be setup for 15 amp plugs. Some of the say dewalt 110 volt air compressors might suck up a little more Then 15 amps. I know my electric pressure washer recommends 20 amp circuit. It can trip a 15 amp breaker once in a while. If you are really going to have a fancy shop setup. Then some 220 outlets are great for some equipment. I disagree with REV. I would put some windows in for natural light. Windows or door with windows toward your house. Nice to see who is stopping by. Who’s car you just heard stop in the driveway. Led shop lights are great. Still nice to see out of a few windows. Someone wants to break in they will just bust threw the side door.
Good thoughts Snowking about the breakers and higher amp outlets. I've already diagramed in PLENTY of outlets in the garage, so I'm good there. Jury is out on the windows though. That's gonna be a personal decision I guess. Thanks Snowking!