Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling Reels partial braid? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Keeper

Default Trolling Reels partial braid?

I like the idea of braided line from a longevity standpoint. Doesn't break down from water and sun as quick as Mono and with the soon to purchase 6 trolling reels I'd rather not re-spool every year if it can be avoided. Mono doesn't seem expensive till you figure out how much in line for each season it could take even with bulk spool of say 3k yards.

So was thinking backing of mono to Braid and what if a person put say 50 ft mono on after that. Each season I could replace the 50 ft mono at very little cost or time and would yield some stretch on helping keep fish on even when close to the boat.

Fishing Winnebago mostly, but plan on some in the bay of Green Bay as well.

I don't like another point of failure, but I do like the long term less time re-spooling and over time would be less expensive. Is this hybrid even worth it? Anyone try it? My trolling rods aren't noodles or I'd think of just running braid.

Feel free to rip on this idea at will...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Wallhanger

tough question. all I can tell you is what I do for trolling with divers. I put 150' of 17# mono backing(saves moner and keeps my braid from slipping on the spool) then I put my braid on top of that until my reel is full. I put the same amount of line on each reel. I put 300' ft of braid on because i'll never get to the backing and it fills my 17 size daiwa reels. then I just tie to a swivel or directly to the diver then use about a 9' seaguar fluro leader. hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Default x2

My system is the same as lc's, but with only 200 feet of PowerPro 8/30. I've been using this system for 10 or 12 years and it works well for me.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Keeper

I do this with all of my reels now. Cheap 25# mono backer and up to 100 yards of braid (mono or floro too) on top of it.

Tags
braid , mono , reels , trolling