Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
trolling for walleyes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-23-2015, 04:22 AM
Slot Fish

Default trolling for walleyes

Ok, so with the new trolling law in wisconsin coming up here on July 1st, I have some questions. I was never able to troll on the lake I fish in vilas county. Never really target walleyes during the daytime either. I always went for them at sun down. With that being said, I want to get into drifting and trolling with worm harnesses or bottom bouncers, maybe it's the same thing, not to sure on that. I'm a novice when it comes to this. I am heading up to vilas county this Tuesday and want to try drifting with a worm harness over the flats, it's about 25 feet deep over the flats. My question is, is it too early to be trying that kind of technique? Are they still up shallow after the spawn? I am not sure what the water temp is up there. Is there a certain temp the water needs to get to before using a worm harness over the flats? Any advice would be appreciated since I am brand new to trying to catch those guys during the day time. I dont plan on using boards, just have my rod in hand with the bottom bouncer setup. I believe i should be using a 3 ounce weight with that, but not to certain on that either. Thanks for any info you guys can shoot my way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2015, 05:52 AM
Keeper

3 oz seems a little heavy for drifting, unless the wind is really blowing. Whether it is too early probably depends on how deep/large the lake is overall and how the weather's been. I've caught walleyes on flats (albeit shallower, ~ 15 ft) in Ontario in the 3rd week of June, so i'd guess it's plausible further south in late may. I think the key early season forage on deeper flats is mayflies so certainly if you see any evidence of mayflies it's worth a try. If the water's still fairly cold and there are shallower soft-bottomed areas, I'd be inclined to try those first.

A bottom bouncer is just one way to weight a spinner rig, and a spinner rig is just one type of presentation that can be used with a bouncer.

The walleyes will be wherever the best forage opportunities are for them. If it is mayflies on your lake, then some will be on or near soft-bottom flats while they wait for the young-of-the-year baitfish to grow large enough to eat. If the lake doesn't host much of a mayfly population, then they'd likely be shallower, near wherever what smaller fish there are can find some warmer water.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Keeper

bouncers are just one way to get your bait down. do you have electronics? if so, just cruise around at different depths and start wherever you mark fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Slot Fish

ok, thanks for the info guys. I read that you want 1oz of weight for every 10 feet of water. Like I said, this is all new to me and I am looking forward to trying this technique this year. I have both side imaging and down imaging, I have a 899si and an 859 up front, so I should be able to find the fish. Just kinda looking for what I should all pick up for running worm harnesses with a bottom bouncer. You guys have been very helpful so far and I appreciate that.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Keeper

the amount of weight to line ratio all has to do with how fast you are going. you may have to play around with this while on the water.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:42 PM
Minnow

Wow, I never heard of the "no trolling" rule before. I can't believe there was ever such a rule for crying out loud.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:39 AM
Slot Fish

Default trolling

The rule only applied to trophy muskie lakes and other premier lakes in Northern Wisconsin

Tight lines no net
Old 06-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Slot Fish

All of Vilas County was no trolling. I am excited to finally get a chance to try it out.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Wallhanger

Trolling is a lot of fun when they're biting especially if you're by yourself you can stay pretty busy. I prefer to troll with crank baits and drift with worm harnesses. Good luck

Tags
drifting , fishing , trolling , walleye , worm harness