Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
SI transducer location on wx1850 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Minnow

Default SI transducer location on wx1850

I'm helping a buddy install a bird SI transducer on his new skeeter 1850. Does any one have pics or descriptions of their successful ducer location? Looking to get high speed readings so he doesnt have to install the shoot thru hull transducer.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Keeper

Do you have any pics of the transom so we can guide you a little better bud?

Keith
Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Minnow

Default pics

Here is a pic of the transom. I'm not familiar with skeeters so not sure how much of the transom is in the water at higher speeds. Can i get away with the easy install on the bottom of the first ledge of transom or do i have to mount on the step. If so would the area between the two bunks on either side of the boat that has a somewhat straight edge be a good spot. If i move it closure to the pickups then we have the bunks to contend with. Rather not drill a bunch of holes experimenting on a new boat so if any one has a succesful mount location i would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	18445  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Keeper

Here's the journey I took on getting my HDSI ducer mounted in a workable spot and tuned in.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...ht=HDSI+ranger

My boat sits on the trailer so it hangs over the bunks by a couple of inches. My only concern with mounting inline with the bunk is that I come into the trailer too fast and the bunk pushes the ducer back or snaps the bracket as I have put a screw with large washer in the middle to prevent it from flipping up when running faster speeds. Another recommendation that was made was to zip tie it to prevent flip up and possible prevent damage if a strike does occur. If you decide to go this route, you may need to move your winch post on the trailer back a notch or two to give you the room you need behind the bunk. If you can mount it to the side of the bunk, you will eliminate the concern I have with my mounting location.

I used a piece of mounting board attached to the boat with two stainless screws and 3M adhesive. This allowed me to fine tune the ducer as I worked to find the sweet spot.

The area looks pretty similar to my 620 , but I would recommend taking the ducer and hold it in different spots to see where it may fit best.

Take the time to fine tune it. ike an 1/8 of an inch at a time, ensure it is level across the back (parallel to the back of the boat) and you will be very happy with the results.

Scott
Old 10-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

I have been experimenting with my 1850..

I started on the top step, out of danger.. While this worked, I am used to better performance out of my Humminbird..

Next, I tried mounting on the lower step, with the supplied hardware... Its a real challenge getting the mounting bracket positioned, and once you do get it positioned, your are pretty much done adjusting, so there is no fine tuning..

My latest venture was somewhat unconventional, but I think its going to be the best solution for me. (maybe not anybody else..

What I did was to mount a 3/4 Poly board horizontal on the step itself, in the position where I want the transducer to set. The mounting plate is approx 4 inches wide, and 6 inches long, and machined to the angles and slope of the step..

The step is sloped at a 13 degree angle, so I then took a second piece of poly board (approx 2 1//4 inches wide.. Into this board, I used a 7/8" dado blade on the table saw and sawed a 13 degree rabbet into the center of the board.. I then machined these to fit the angle and slope of the step also and mounted them to the first block..

I ordered a Transducer Shield and Saver from Scap and mounted that into the rabbet of the second board.. I had to "clip" the TSS approx 5/8 " at an angle that matches the bottom step, in order to get it tucked up tight to the transom..

Mounting in this way, guarantees that I will be level, port to starboard, and I can adjust the tilt of the transducer by adding washers (if necessary) to fine tune it...

Now, I have both transducers mounted, but havent had the boat in the water yet with this setup, so I cannot tell you how it worked, but i hope to find a little time this weekend..

Ive got a full set of pictures in the camera, that I will post if it works..
Old 10-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Well, I can show you two places not to mount it... if you want high speed.. Low speed, put it anywhere on the back of the boat..

mine worked to about 9 mph today, but I want more... Back to drillin again..
Old 10-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Rather not drill a bunch of holes experimenting on a new boat so if any one has a succesful mount location i would appreciate any advice.
How I solved the location problem on a ZX2050 step hull with no guess work, mounting boards or holes in the hull.

Mount a second transducer in the bilge area and use the Y cable to connect the two transducers

Take the two 10mm bottom bolts out of the anode of the Yamaha motor (top right of photo) on the starboard side and mount a piece of aluminum angle.

Take the SI transducer and mount it without the flip up assembly.
The mounting bolt goes through the hole for the hinge for the flip up feature and the down leg of the alum. angle

Jack the trailer until the boat scum line is level and then set the SI transducer level and lock it down with the mounting bolt.

High speed to 60mph plus, the large expensive SI transducer is up high and safe but in the water at SI speeds, no holes in transom and great readings at high speed and low SI speeds.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

Default Missed the pic

MikeF,

I would like to see the picture you mentioned.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I would suggest that the best position would be on the step just to the right of the tail light. Set it level - not level with the step - but absolute level - and you should be good to go.

REW
Old 10-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Well, Im a happy camper tonight. Im not saying that this is for everyone, but it works for me.

46 mph, depth. SI. out of 1 HDSI transducer..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-14%2018_52_45.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	18475   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-14%2018_53_03.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	18476   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-14%2018_53_37.jpg
Views:	252