Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
All Canada Shows - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-03-2018, 03:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
I'm doing Chicago and Green Bay both...
Ob, do you go to stay in touch with regulars, to possibly fill in open spots, go just because you might be more conspicuous by your absense, or any other reason? We talked about 10 yrs ago at the Madison show, the cost of doing these shows has got to be getting high vs the good it may do for your business. Just wondering.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
Ob, do you go to stay in touch with regulars, to possibly fill in open spots, go just because you might be more conspicuous by your absense, or any other reason? We talked about 10 yrs ago at the Madison show, the cost of doing these shows has got to be getting high vs the good it may do for your business. Just wondering.......

It's a little of everything you mentioned. First, I expect to book a minimum of 3-4 new groups at every show. If I book one new group of 3, it pays for the show itself. Plus, we have an incredibly high return rate, so if that "new group" makes more than one trip, we profit.

Every resort is going to be different, and will have their best marketing techniques. I was a business admin major in college, and my dad raised me in the business. I enjoy the personal touch of face to face selling. I also enjoy the personal touch of running a family type resort. I take guests out to dinner regularly at the shows, and it is great to just spend some time with good friends. For us, it has gotten to the point where it is more about all the friendships we've made over the years, and less about selling. Seems like sales come on their own.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
It's a little of everything you mentioned. First, I expect to book a minimum of 3-4 new groups at every show. If I book one new group of 3, it pays for the show itself. Plus, we have an incredibly high return rate, so if that "new group" makes more than one trip, we profit.

Every resort is going to be different, and will have their best marketing techniques. I was a business admin major in college, and my dad raised me in the business. I enjoy the personal touch of face to face selling. I also enjoy the personal touch of running a family type resort. I take guests out to dinner regularly at the shows, and it is great to just spend some time with good friends. For us, it has gotten to the point where it is more about all the friendships we've made over the years, and less about selling. Seems like sales come on their own.
Makes sense, thanks. I used to have to run shows and displays for a former job and I know how much these things cost and what you have to budget for, not counting the time and effort it takes to put on a good show. Good luck and have fun, wear some good comfortable shoes.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
For us, it has gotten to the point where it is more about all the friendships we've made over the years, and less about selling. Seems like sales come on their own.
What a concept, eh? I think if more places ran businesses like this, we would all be better off.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Wisconsin View Post
What a concept, eh? I think if more places ran businesses like this, we would all be better off.

Thank you. Every business and every resort is going to be different though. A lot will depend on where they are with their "plans". If they're just starting out, they might need to focus on sales pitches/wheeling and dealing. If they're at a comfortable level of guests... they can focus more on improvements or atmosphere.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be too tough on someone who runs things differently. Operating a fantastic resort can be done in many different ways.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 AM
Keeper

Default Top Notch

Jared makes running his island look easy. See ya in 5 months and 21 days dude. I can hardly wait !
Old 01-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyman73 View Post
Jared makes running his island look easy. See ya in 5 months and 21 days dude. I can hardly wait !

See you then! You're going to be on the island with my crazy family. There's an "Amason Reunion" that week... so you guys won't even be the worst behaved guests on the island! HAHAHAHA
Old 01-12-2018, 07:34 AM
Keeper

Funny, i am in the booth next to Obabikon. Nice seeing Walleye Central members at the show yesterday that i have not met before. They were going to visit with Obabikon. Looking forward to meeting other members I have not met. It is nice to put a face to a name. I know NARDA1 is at the Birchdale Lodge booth also.
HB 858 dI and 858c HD
Old 01-15-2018, 07:05 AM
Minnow

How was the turn out?
Old 01-15-2018, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

I think it was down a little bit as to total traffic, probably more weather related than anything. However, there were a ton of people traveling this summer... which is a good sign.