Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Wabakimi Lake, Ontario - Page 26 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-28-2019, 05:30 PM
Keeper

I bought a Helix 5 last year and did not know there is software available for Wabakimi. Looks like a lot more tempting areas are out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 09:58 AM
NWBearcatgrad

Default Wabi

I looked and looked FOREVER for anything that included Wabi. Garmin was the only one that had it that I was able to find at the time. Hence the reason I bought that unit. Since then, I am not sure if anyone else has made maps available or put anything on a card for other units. It was not the most accurate, but at least it was usable. After going up there for so many years it mainly gets used for depths and temp.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Keeper

I am pretty sure Navionics Canada chip has Wabikimi on it.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:44 AM
NWBearcatgrad

Thumbs up

Good to know.....not planning to buy a new unit for awhile, BUT if I do that info will help.
3 weeks until my group is at Granite! CANNOT wait
Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 AM
Minnow

I am anxious for our trip as well. We head up to Wabikimi on July 21 and begin our 10 trip. I'll look for the deep part of the channel and give the lake trout a try.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:31 AM
NWBearcatgrad

We might have passed flights then TexFly.....our normal trip is that time frame (my wife's birthday is the 20th) and we are always up there over it. The group that comes in after us normally in Wabi has a group that bring fly rods (*I assume you fly fish based off your handle.) I love Wabi out of all the lakes we have tried, but enjoy hitting a new one too. Wapi is a close 2nd. My trip to Brennan was not a good one, but I would like to return and have a do over The verdict is out on Granite.......I have heard it is a shallower lake so tactics will change. I bet we catch a fish or two though P
Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Minnow

That's probably us then. A buddy of mine also fly fishes, but he doesn't go every year. I've guided some guys to some big northern, but I'm still trying for my 40"+ on a fly. I got close last year. I had one that was in the mid 40's nail a small one I fighting. It made a few good runs and nearly got it to the boat before it let go. Good Luck on your trip.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:19 AM
NWBearcatgrad

Bet so, the group usually has several fly rods. That would be awesome to hook into a nice pike and fight with a fly rod. It sure pumps up my heart rate with a regular set up. My best up there at Wabi is a 37" pike, and I just broke 29" with a wally two years ago. My wife says the pike has to be 45+" or a 30+" wally before I can get a mount made....so I have goals

I will look for you next year when we go back to Wabi.....Thanks, I hope Granite is as good, if not it still beats a week at home/work
Old 06-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBearcatgrad View Post
Bet so, the group usually has several fly rods. That would be awesome to hook into a nice pike and fight with a fly rod. It sure pumps up my heart rate with a regular set up. My best up there at Wabi is a 37" pike, and I just broke 29" with a wally two years ago. My wife says the pike has to be 45+" or a 30+" wally before I can get a mount made....so I have goals

I will look for you next year when we go back to Wabi.....Thanks, I hope Granite is as good, if not it still beats a week at home/work
So I'm guessin your flyin with Vic. Dropped in to Granite once several years ago to fix the solar pump. As I remember, 2 camps one on each side of the lake, strikingly beautiful lake with narrow gorge and high cliffs and of course, on the Allanwater River. Have a great trip!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 AM
NWBearcatgrad

PikeSlayer,
We are using Rusty M.....the guys I go with (FIL,BIL, and others) have used them for close to 40 years. I have never been on Granite, but a few of the guys have years ago. My BIL and I have convinced them to alternate between Wabi and the other lakes the past few years. I love Wabi, but its nice to see new places and learn a new trick or two
I have heard Granite is shallow, a few falls, and fast water. Also some beachy/sandy areas. Any other info you have that you can share? I would appreciate it! The countdown is on, less than 2 weeks YES.

Tags
wabakimi