Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Musky line preferences? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2021, 09:44 PM
Wallhanger

Default Musky line preferences?

I'm still a noob to musky fishing. Downrigger trolling is on my agenda starting in the next couple weeks. I'm not thinking of going deep but more along the lines of taking my 2-4' baits and dropping them down to the 10-20' ranges (different actions than my deep runners on extremely high pressure lakes here)

What are you guys using for downrigger trolling, casting in general & trolling in general for line?

I'm leaning toward 80# Suffix 832 across the board but have been told by some local guys that nothing less that 125# for casting which seems like overkill to me

I'm also thinking of a 150# Segaur Blue Label Big Game fluoro leaders instead of steel. 4' for trolling, 18"-2' for casting & making them single fish leaders

What are you guys using overall for musky these days?

Happy fishing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2021, 08:09 AM
Slot Fish

I’m old school. We used 50# green spot w 12” 125# 7 strand which we tied ourself. I replaced it w a 60# braid...heavier if you have reel is big enough.
My rules for tackle is .that I’m fishing for world records fish, a dream but nightmare if you happen to hook a monster. Sharp hooks a must and tackle that you set the hook as hard as you can. My worse experience was on the Mississippi , fishing low water in the eddies when the monster grabbed onto a stick w the middle hook removed. T he beast dragged us around the river for a half an hour up and down the .river and finally got tired,came .to the .boat and opened his mouth and let go. She was never hooked. A line/ rod breaking hook set was needed and not accomplished. Never again will that happen!. Lite tackle can work but remember a huge fish is a gramma and .if you play her out she will .probably be hurt allot and will die. Bass fishermen should not use their bass tackle.
That being said the biggest I’ve landed was a 57”, trolling for eyes, #6 rap on salmon tackle w 20# big game. I was very lucky she was lip hooked and blew the balsa apart. She had been hooked in her eye and was almost pure white. Took me 30 minutes to release her and I’m still wondering if I released a dead fish. My tradition told me I had to try because if i clubbed her she was for .sure dead.

Great question to try and answer....if your fishing all buy yourself and you hook a world record and you are a catch and release guy, and very tempted to kill her but you decide to let her go......would you tell anybody?
Old 08-21-2021, 08:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewwbulltom View Post

Great question to try and answer....if your fishing all buy yourself and you hook a world record and you are a catch and release guy, and very tempted to kill her but you decide to let her go....would you tell anybody?

That's a simple answer for me: Make it as fast of a netting as possible, get the best pics possible, try to get some line for length & girth so a good fiberglass mount goes on my wall, and let it go. A record or even a trophy class fish of any kind lived plenty of years already... might as well gingerly be held & let loose to keep growing then. Trying to grab 15 minutes of fame is never my thing. I'd be texting insanely with the pics though!! I'm a knucklehead with being anal with CPRS. For bass, I don't even lift them by lipping alone. I'll always support their body with my other hand so I'm not busting any jaws before letting them loose.

I'm a die hard CPRS fan boy. Shoot, i even wet my hands before handling a fish so I'm not wiping off their slime & keep them out of the water under 30 seconds tops before releasing them.

I love to fish--- have no desire to take any home

For musky lines, I just tied up 150 lb fluoro leaders today & spooled up with 80# braid. Some local guys were trying to convince me I need at least 125# braid, should only use a Calcutta & only use steel leaders. All of it just too felt rigid or too narrow focused to me which was why I posted this question about lines other guys are using.

Happy Fishing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2021, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

The nice thing about heavy line is it can save you lures if you have casting errors... Especially with Rubber baits and Large Jerk baits... I typically have 6-8 rods ready to go anytime I am out. Mine are spooled up as followed....

Trolling 10+ inch Lures 100 LBS
Smaller Trolling 80 LBS
Casting Big Rubber 100 LBS
Small to Mid Size Rubber 80LBS
Most Bucktails 80 LBS
Small Bucktails 65 LBS
Big Jerk Baits 10+ Inches 100 LBS
8 Inch Jerks 80 LBS
Glide/WTD baits 65 LBS
Sucker /Live Bait Fishing 130 LBS

Most of my reel are spooled with Master Braid. The 65 LBS reels are spooled with 832 Suffix
Old 08-24-2021, 07:50 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1269 View Post
Most of my reel are spooled with Master Braid.
Yep, same here Cortland Master Braid. As far as leaders for casting I make mine about 1” longer then the lure I am throwing.
Heritage Custom Bunk-Torsion Axle w/Vault hubs
Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Longbed 8spd. or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

Last edited by Cover Dog; 08-24-2021 at 07:54 AM.