Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Thunder Bay Info - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-21-2020, 09:55 AM
Keeper

Default Thunder Bay Info

Heading to Holinshead lake this summer. Never been in this area before. Any advice on where to stay the night in thunder bay area? Food..places to eat? Thanks for any advice and tips you might have,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 11:13 AM
Wallhanger

We usually stay ar the Valhalla Inn. Free airport shuttle. They have a decent pub/restaurant inside. Liquor store and grocery store across the street. Walmart there too.

There are other chain hotels nearby as well since its close to the airport. I am sure they are fine as well.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2020, 01:26 PM
Minnow

When entering the city, travelogue is on the right along with many chain hotels, Valhalla on the left.this is Arthur street, turning right you will see many restaurants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adempsey2.0 View Post
We usually stay ar the Valhalla Inn. Free airport shuttle. They have a decent pub/restaurant inside. Liquor store and grocery store across the street. Walmart there too.

There are other chain hotels nearby as well since its close to the airport. I am sure they are fine as well.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Plenty of boat parking at Valhalla. Not so much at other places. If not pulling a boat the Best Western right on Author is another good option. Book early.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 01-21-2020, 02:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye2242 View Post
Heading to Holinshead lake this summer. Never been in this area before. Any advice on where to stay the night in thunder bay area? Food..places to eat? Thanks for any advice and tips you might have,
Are you driving and have a boat in tow?
I would think the Valhalla would be your best place.
Boston pizza is not bad on Arthur st. It does have a limited menu for some reason and their prices have gone up but food is usually pretty good. If your in the mood for a burger I recommend the Burger Barn on memorial Avenue. Great burgers but fries are so so.
There are all kinds of places to eat on Arthur st from Chinese to McDonald's.
If your driving make sure your doors are locked!

Fisherman 1792
Old 01-21-2020, 04:03 PM
Minnow

I have been to Holinshead a few times. Nice camp, nice owners, and a fun lake to fish. Always did well off Dog Bone Island. I now go up towards Armstrong. I have been staying at the Best Western Norwester for years. It is a few miles south of Thunder Bay. I think the rates are good, plenty of parking and they have a very good breakfast. Plus, on the north side of the hotel, you can back up to your room if you are on the lower level. Across the street is the Neebing Road House. Its a nice sportsbar, good food, and a good beer selection. The drive to Holinshead from here is not bad. Plus you can stop on Red River Rd. if you need groceries, Walmart, and there is a LCBO liquor store there as well.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:27 AM
Wallhanger

The Days Inn and Suites is walking distance to The Keg Steakhouse and Montanas for food . The Keg is as good a steakhouse as you will find. The Days Inn also has a very bice free breakfast. It is easy in and easy out to back back on the road.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarbear View Post
I have been to Holinshead a few times. Nice camp, nice owners, and a fun lake to fish. Always did well off Dog Bone Island. I now go up towards Armstrong. I have been staying at the Best Western Norwester for years. It is a few miles south of Thunder Bay. I think the rates are good, plenty of parking and they have a very good breakfast. Plus, on the north side of the hotel, you can back up to your room if you are on the lower level. Across the street is the Neebing Road House. Its a nice sportsbar, good food, and a good beer selection. The drive to Holinshead from here is not bad. Plus you can stop on Red River Rd. if you need groceries, Walmart, and there is a LCBO liquor store there as well.
Jarbear,

Not to highjack this thread but can you expand a little bit on your trips to Holinshead? There doesn't seem to be much about it on WC. I've had my eye on that camp for awhile. It's off the beaten path and is a decent sized lake. PM me if you want.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:02 PM
Minnow

It has been a few years since I have been to Holinshead. I would consider going back if the other guys in the group wanted to try it again. The road to the camp off 527 is not bad, unless it has been raining a long time, then it got a little muddy in spots. The new owners are very nice and did many updates from when I was there under the old owners. The cabins are nice. Wood burner for heat. Basic bunks. There is a bathroom and shower. The kitchen has the basics. There is open porch in the many of the smaller cabins. I thought the new owner was trying to put in screens and or storm windows. The boats and motors are fine. I had my own locator. The owners checked on us often to make sure all was ok. It is a conservation lake, which was ok with us. We were not interested in bringing fish home. Fishing was ok, and we found many places to try, and take in the scenery.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:23 AM
Keeper

I will second the Days Inn and Suites on Sibley. Clean, friendly and as stated a number of eating places within walking distance including a Hortons next door. Metro and LCBO down on Arthur Drive.