Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rod for Shimano Tekota A 500 Line Counter reel? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-13-2020, 11:12 AM
Keeper

Default Rod for Shimano Tekota A 500 Line Counter reel?

What would be your 1st choice in rods for pairing with a Shimano Tekota A 500 Line Counter reel (TEK500HGLCA)? Will be used primarily for dipsy diver or planer board trolling for walleye.

Thanks!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 11:44 AM
Wallhanger

Are you buying one rod? Normally most use different rods for Boards vs Dipsys. Would have to be a compromise. Bob
Old 01-13-2020, 12:32 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Are you buying one rod? Normally most use different rods for Boards vs Dipsys. Would have to be a compromise. Bob
Dipsy divers, actually. I just thought I'd likely try planer boards at some point in the future, too, and I'm new enough to trolling for walleyes that I didn't realize they called for different rods. Happy to progress one step at a time, though.

And on the larger question suggested by my post - that of my ignorance! - if someone here can point me toward a good online primer on different walleye trolling techniques and associated equipment so I don't have to try to piece the information together from vendors' websites and a bit here and a tad there from fellow fisherfolk's posts to internet message boards such as this one, I'd greatly appreciate that, too!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

FWIW. My Shimano Tekota 600, spooled with 50 lb Suffix 832, gets mounted on a St Croix Premier PC70HF to troll for lake trout with magnum dipsy divers. I'm typically trolling my magnum dipsy divers between 50 and 100 FOW for lakers. I'm fishing Canadian shield lakes in south western Quebec for both walleye and lake trout. However, I never fish deeper than 35 FOW for walleye. Consequently, I don't use dipsy divers to fish for walleye.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:32 PM
Wallhanger

The books I used are all out of print. Both those techniques came from Salmon fishing. However the stuff they use tends to be heavier and longer because of what they catch and the baits they use. If you have a Bass pro or Cabelas not too far away take a look at the offshore angler stuff. Their Walleye pro's helped develop rods, reels and baits for walleye trolling. You will get an idea of what you will need.
Over the last 20 or so years I have been trolling eyes I have changed equipment a few times. Much to do with what I could afford and preferences I settled on. Trolling rods don't need to be the $400 variety but the correct length, action and strength for the technique and the bait and speed you troll. Sounds complicated but it is a learning process. Starting with a setup that is proper will allow you to be successful and refine it to your style. The rods they put a specific presentation on are where to start. Everyone likes different stuff but start with something that is likely to work. Get yourself a mentor or start with what a pro has helped design.
You will get a dozen different opinions and they probably mostly work. Your feel and judgement will take time but you will find out what works for you. You will have to find out what feels soft or hard to you(heavier or lighter action. Longer or shorter rods. Line type for various techniques. What I am suggesting is take advantage of a good fisherman's ideas and adjust from there. Good luck and enjoy the ride. Fishing as an amateur partner or go fishing with a guide a few times will get you a head start. I bet Jul's would be a great teacher. Bob

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 01-13-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:14 PM
Wallhanger

There a quite a few videos. Just search: walleye trolling videos. Bob
Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 PM
Keeper

How much do you want to spend?

Shimano Talora if you want to spend more or a TDR if you want to spend less.

7 foot medium or medium heavy.

Thousands of Walleyes caught on Erie using a 7' TDR medium action rod with dipsy divers.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:55 AM
Minnow

Shimano Talora . They make a nice one for Dipsy
Old 01-15-2020, 08:40 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by man164 View Post
How much do you want to spend?

Shimano Talora if you want to spend more or a TDR if you want to spend less.

7 foot medium or medium heavy.

Thousands of Walleyes caught on Erie using a 7' TDR medium action rod with dipsy divers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1 View Post
Shimano Talora . They make a nice one for Dipsy
Yeah, I’ve been thinking about those...

Follow-up questions:

- I’d be doing most of the dipsy fishing for walleye in water less than 50 feet deep, so sizes 030 and especially 000 and 001. Am I correct in thinking the Talora Dipsy Diver might be stiffer in backbone and/or tip than would best serve me? If so, would the Talora Leadcore or the Talora Downrigger (or something else entiirely) be a better choice?

- I was thinking at least an 8-foot rod would be nice (and maybe 8’6” would be ideal) as I could imagine pulling an 8-foot leader sometimes and I like the idea of having a longer rod to handle such. Is there a particular reason for that 7-foot recommendation?

- To get down to specifics, what do you think of the 8’6” moderate fast/medium Talora Downrigger for my purpose? Or maybe the 8’6” moderate fast/medium heavy Talora Downrigger?

Really appreciate it!

Gerry
Old 01-16-2020, 05:16 AM
Minnow

I'm using the TLA 80 MH2A for my Dipsy Divers. I use the rod for lake trout so I like to go a little deeper and a little bigger on the lures then for walleyes. The rod has a nice moderate curve. Also an eight footer gets the dipsy a little farther from the side of the boat. You might be able to go down to the 7 footer but that doesn't mean it will be softer.