Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Is Canada Your Only Annual Fishing Experience? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 11-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
We've kicked around the idea of spending a week on a houseboat on one of the big lakes like Lac Seul. I think it would be a blast. I hope you don't mind if I reach out to you for advice if we ever get around to actually doing it. Our next trip is a fly-in provided we get to go next year.
I’ve done 10 years of HB trips on the NE Section of Lac Seul. One day I want to get back to that experience again. As you said it is a blast, with the HB being home base. Just run to spots each day with your personal boats or rentals. Come back for dinner and fish off the back of the HB until your Heart is content.

I’ve been the pilot 8 of those trips and just loved seeing the lake that way. Send me a message and I can help you out with suggestions and fishing spots.

It is not quite the fly experience, but it is a close second if you like the isolation of your cabin being on the water. The best news is that there is no weight limit

PjShorthorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2020, 04:37 PM
Wallhanger

For many years Canada has been the only fishing trip I took each year ( 1 week ). All the reasons most people have. Family, job, vacation time and resources always were a limiting factor. Now I have been trying to take at least two trips a year in the early summer and then fall.

Of course 2020 presented challenges to all of us with getting to Canada. I was planning on 3 trips......opening week, Sept and then October. Since those trips couldn’t take place, I replaced them with.....

Lake Erie in early July

Lake Kabatagoma and Namaken in mid Sept.

Lake St. Clair in October

Lots of trout fishing trips were mixed in throughout the year in the North GA mountains which are always beautiful trips exploring new places.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed all my stateside trips this year. Canada is where I want to be in 2021.....two trips are planned and if a third one presents itself , who knows !!!

PjShorthorn
Old 11-17-2020, 06:04 PM
Wallhanger

I fished MN and Canada a lot as a kid living in IA.

I now have a bucket list I try to hit a new lake or 2 each year...last 3 years...Kab, Devils lake, Spirit Lake IA(never fished it growing up, now have fished and ice fished it...), Oahe. Had great times and caught a lot of fish

Next up....Going back to Redwing(staying at Everts) in March after 4o years is intriguing, winter run on Rainey River, NW angle in May is of real interest, Madeline Islands on Superior for Trout/Salmon, Erie are short list.

there are 20 behind it...

also fly fish WY and CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2020, 07:03 PM
Wallhanger

For the past 30 years I have fished only Canada at Birch Dale Lodge. All of my fishing gear has been stored at the lodge for the past 20 years or so, which presented a problem this year. Do to the boarder closing we went to Kec's Kove on Lake Kabetogama,so i had to go buy a new rod and real and some tackle for the trip. Other than Canada I have occasionally done a Lake Erie or Lake Michigan charter.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:32 PM
Keeper

Canada is our only planned fishing trip and of course...it is the best. For most of the guys in the group...yeah..for the most part they only gosh that time in canada. For me...I love to fly fish and I have a small cabin on a small river so I fish all the time. I am always on an adventure of small creeks and rivers to fly fish. I do not have a boat so most of my fishing...other than canada is fly fishing creeks, streams and rivers.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

In my younger years, it was twice a week, early spring to late fall, or more in Iowa, 2-3 times/year in Canada, usually 2 times. As I continue to "mature"(thank goodness), home fishing has taken a beating, too hot to fish (lyrics to a country song), interest lagging, so has slowed immensely. Now once yearly to Canada, with fellers. Have lost many, many regulars, one just recently, one a year and a half ago. Those still on this earth giving up for various health reasons. I still have a good base of younger friends and relatives who want to go up, but conditions do change. I sorely missed the trip up this year, but did have a fantastic crappie catch last month here. At approaching 83, I fully expect a few more years in God's country, Canada, my favorite place on the globe. Dad made his last Canadian trip at 92.

Bill
Old 11-18-2020, 03:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
In my younger years, it was twice a week, early spring to late fall, or more in Iowa, 2-3 times/year in Canada, usually 2 times. As I continue to "mature"(thank goodness), home fishing has taken a beating, too hot to fish (lyrics to a country song), interest lagging, so has slowed immensely. Now once yearly to Canada, with fellers. Have lost many, many regulars, one just recently, one a year and a half ago. Those still on this earth giving up for various health reasons. I still have a good base of younger friends and relatives who want to go up, but conditions do change. I sorely missed the trip up this year, but did have a fantastic crappie catch last month here. At approaching 83, I fully expect a few more years in God's country, Canada, my favorite place on the globe. Dad made his last Canadian trip at 92.

Bill
^^^this is precisely why I go hard now, I know it wont last forever. My dad doesnt make it much anymore, son graduating college and he will soon have much less time very soon...glad we went when we did
Old 11-18-2020, 04:34 PM
Keeper

Re-evaluating that after this year. Last year we started going to Canada 2 weeks per year. I fished WI 2 weeks this year instead. It might be part of our “new normal” (a fricken term I hate) as we had jaunt as good of a time at less than half the cost......
Old 11-19-2020, 04:13 AM
Keeper

We fish northern wisconsin alot. We fished around home a few times in the Oshkosh area. Our week trip took us to northern michigan. All of it was lots of fun. There is something about canada that is really special. I hope canada is a go for next summer. If not then I guess we will do the same as this year.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:06 AM
Wallhanger

Default Canada is my only fishing

Canada is my only fishing trip of the year. Combination of work, lack of vacation, lack of place to store boating gear in Chicago. My hope is that if i can ever retire, i combine a couple of weeks in Canada with a renewed interest in fly fishing and get back to pan fishing on the ice. Crappies right out of cold water even beats the taste of walleye in my opinion
Bigroot