Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
All Canada Shows - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-15-2018, 08:21 AM
Minnow

Thats good. The shows have really seemed to slow down over the years. I remember when they had a few floors in the convention centers. 100,000 people going instead of 8-10k. Im surprised they don't do an All Canada show in MSP like they once did. Do you think the All Canada shows are the best ones out there or the only ones out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2018, 08:36 AM
Wallhanger

The problem is the big venues like the convention center charge to much for booth rentals. Thats how you end up with guys selling mops and wallets. The convention center can't fill with resorts, lodges, boats or whatever so they bring the other slop in to fill in.

Thats how you end up with shows at smaller venues like Blaine and the Muskie show in a college. The smaller venues will be more pure but there are less booths also.

BTW, parking was $12 in the church lot and the ticket was $14 to get into the boat show.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

It's nice that All Canada shows parking is free... at least it is in Green Bay and Chicago. In my opinion, that helps the attendance, and the entire attitude of the show.

Shows are changing, that's for sure. But, I honestly don't care if there's 30,000 or 2,000. It all has to do with how many people out of the attendance are actually looking to book trips. All Canada shows do not have the attendance that some of the big shows have, but they have a much higher percentage of "booking" guests. Which is the real goal. I have a lot of people who are booked or seriously thinking about booking with us... come up to the show to discuss their trip. It is just another service. If you're a new guest, it is nice to have a face to face. If you're a return guest, it is still easier to do everything in person.

There certainly is still value in attending shows. Even if that value isn't all in new sales.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:09 AM
Wallhanger

I'd say there is bigger RISK in not attending (as a resort) and falling off the radar so to speak. It's a catch 22 thing. Are you booked up because of shows, or will you fill up anyway? I know a guy who was full so he quit going to shows. Now he isn't filling up anymore. I gotta think as old customers quit coming he has no way of getting new guys.

I will say this....I won't book a trip without first meeting the resort (and hopefully the owner) at a show.

I dunno.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Wallhanger

The other option is to take some time and do a "boat in or drive in" interview with a prospective lodge owner at their own place vs. a show. On three occasions I have stopped in to visit a lodge while fishing the same body of water or driving by a lodge on the way to my destination that year. I have booked many trips with two out of the three lodges I visited in that manner. The only reason I haven't booked a trip at the third lodge is that I haven't had a chance to go back and fish on that lake since my boat in visit.

In all three cases, I had a chance to look at the facilities, boats and talk with folks at the lodge including guests staying there. I don't know if you can get more of a reality check than that, but that is just my perspective.

PjShorthorn
Old 01-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Wallhanger

Good point PJ. My camper is only 30 miles from the Canadian border. I wanted to book a trip to a lodge I had heard about on a different web site. So one rainy day I decided to drive over and take a look at the resort. At the border I was asked 3 times why I was REALLY going into Canada. The concept of going to look at a lodge was completely lost on the border guard. It wasn't until I told him I was only 30 miles away and not the 250 miles my address would indicate did he kinda get it. Anyway, I visited the resort and wanted a bit more then they had to offer. So I drove down the road and found another one. That was what I had in mind and I booked right on the spot. But the point is, f you don't want to end up disappointed you need to do a bit of homework and not just rely on some stranger on a fishing web site.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Good point PJ. My camper is only 30 miles from the Canadian border. I wanted to book a trip to a lodge I had heard about on a different web site. So one rainy day I decided to drive over and take a look at the resort. At the border I was asked 3 times why I was REALLY going into Canada. The concept of going to look at a lodge was completely lost on the border guard. It wasn't until I told him I was only 30 miles away and not the 250 miles my address would indicate did he kinda get it. Anyway, I visited the resort and wanted a bit more then they had to offer. So I drove down the road and found another one. That was what I had in mind and I booked right on the spot. But the point is, f you don't want to end up disappointed you need to do a bit of homework and not just rely on some stranger on a fishing web site.
Nothing better than option of driving to the resort and looking around or getting to talk to guests that are on their trip! Unfortunately, hard to do for a Flyin Lodge.

Since the MSP all Canada show ended, that was the end of shows for me. Our group looked on the internet and found a place that has been in operation for 30 plus years with the same family running it. Not that new operations are bad. We felt it was a safer bet to go somewhere that hasn't gone out of business in 3 decades. We called and had a nice conversation with the owner and they were always quick to respond to emails. These are things I look for in anyone I do business with. If you can't answer an email or phone message in a day, how responsive will you be while Im at your outpost!!

I agree that it is a risk for these lodge owners not going to shows. I see the benefit of having the right kind of people walking around vs warm bodies in the building. I think a lodge that takes time/money to build a great website like has been discussed in other threads on here, can be a great operations as well vs an outdated 5 page site.

Anyways, little thread drift here, but Im glad the show was a good time. Hope you had a few Blue's!!!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:36 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with Obabikon, while the numbers of attendees appeared to be down at the Pheasant Run Chicago Show the number of "booking" guests was up. We also had a number of guests tell us they would not book without a face to face. We also discussed the show dates, and while they have been having the Pheasant Run Show for over 20 years that I know of, on the 2nd weekend in January, we wonder if it would be beneficial to move the show into February to avoid the conflict with Football Playoff games. The attendance died way down while the games were on, even without local teams in contention.

Last edited by NARDA 1; 01-15-2018 at 11:38 AM.