Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
ulterra Help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Share A Seat

Old 07-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Minnow

Default ulterra Help

Looking to put an ulterra on a boat I'm buying. current electronics are 17 yrs old so they need to be up dated as well. None of this is cheap of course. I would normally run new unit off transducer off the back. So am I to run trolling motor linked to the one locator I intend to up grade for now with intention of utilizing spot loc and and route tracing. This is a tiller boat. Not sure how to rig one new locater (hummingbird helix 10 mega chirp) a new trolling motor and leftover locators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2018, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

If you're only using the one unit, the Ulterra's ethernet cable can be connected directly to it, by using the following "dongle" attachment.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...687.1489431371

What "leftover" electronics are you referring to? The 17 year old ones? There's no need to connect them...they won't be able to communicate with the new stuff.

If you buy other "new" units, and want to connect them, then you'll want the 5-Port Ethernet Switch, and more ethernet cables and dongles to connect them all together.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...687.1489431371

The Ulterra's ethernet cable would plug into the Switch, and each unit's cable would connect to the Switch too. Then, you would choose one unit to be the "master", and set up the rest to show the master's readings.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 07-29-2018, 10:41 PM
Minnow

with all the cables, a helix 10, ulterra ipilot link, ethernet etc etc I'm looking at 5200.00. The current front unit is an old lms 332 and the helm unit is a new elite 5 hdi. I cant see my way around having to purchase it all for any of it to work. Initially I thought to move the hdi 5 to the front and the new helix 10 at the tiller. Was really trying to bust up the purchases to 2500 and 2500 later but winter will be here 3.5 months and if I wait I might as well wait until spring. I need to have something to hook the ulterra up to and I would really like that rig for fall river walleyes. Maybe I should find a cheaper hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2018, 03:31 AM
Keeper

Unfortunately, you'll have to bite the bullet and just "doooeet"....

I feel the pain too. I just bought a new 2018 fishhawk, helix 9&10 and an ulterra. All of it networked.

I now am looking at improving the power system and adding a group 31 hybrid battery for running the boat accessories, locators, radio, pumps, etc and isolating the group 27 for the outboard starting only.

I've got a minnkota mk212 precision charger on the trolling batteries and will be adding a second one for the other two batteries. So don't forget about that aspect too.

**** of a long ways from the 1985 fishhawk and single battery/ Garmin locator I had some 15 years ago.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:45 AM
Keeper

The components I had to have. Plus a 9MSIDB SI/dual beam wye-harness. This still gives me room to grow and add locators to the boat if I choose.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-07-30_04.39.07.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	303188