Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger downrigger and rod holder layout - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 12-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ranger downrigger and rod holder layout

Looking to outfit new boat and take on a new venture trying downriggers for salmon on lake MI. Not sure how often I'll get out and do this, but I want to do it right the first time. My 1880 comes with 56" rails on the gunnel and jump seats.

Rod holders can be rail mounted easily enough, but the downriggers I have no clue other than I've read it's best to not mount to far rearward. My thought is that I'd like to have the rigger mount to a section of Bert's track. Can I get away with mounting behind the rear jump seats? I've seen 600 series guys liking to mount to the storage lids. In my case this would be the back of the jump seat but the seat does not lock down and I would prefer to retain function if possible.

Alternatively I could add a section of track to the top of the gunnel. Will the long rails get in the way? I still have time to tweak this before the boat is built.
Solix 12 G1

Last edited by Diesel Pro; 12-18-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Keeper

I would skip the rails altogether and just do tracks on each side
Minn Kota Terrova 112 Ipilot Link
Old 12-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos219 View Post
I would skip the rails altogether and just do tracks on each side
That would definitely be something to consider.
Solix 12 G1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2017, 04:32 PM
Keeper

One thing to consider is the type of rod holders you plan on using. If your using some of the higher quality holders that simply fold down when not in use ,they will usually stick up about 4 inches higher which effects how the boat cover fits. If you plan on leaving the rod holders on the boat and folded down with the boat cover on you might want to think about tracks.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Wallhanger

Here's a fair side image of a boat with 60" Berts tracks and the rear jump seat in the upright position. To me it looks like if I were to place a rigger behind the jump seat it would be to far rearward to be comfortably operated even with the seat folded down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-Ranger-1880MS-Mercury-200-Verado-VC-1.jpg
Views:	2866
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	280706  
Solix 12 G1
Old 12-18-2017, 08:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
Here's a fair side image of a boat with 60" Berts tracks and the rear jump seat in the upright position. To me it looks like if I were to place a rigger behind the jump seat it would be to far rearward to be comfortably operated even with the seat folded down?
That's exactly what I'd do (pictured).

It gives you a lot of versatility. You can slide the rigger as far forward as you'd like, since it's not permanently set in one spot.

You don't want it too far forward though, to minimize the risk of catching it in the prop.

You can also get track inserts for "family boating" that look really clean and essentially turn your track into one big protective step pad.

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins
Old 12-19-2017, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

Diesel,
Since it sounds like you are going to be using the down riggers infrequently, I would go the simple quick and inexpensive route.

I would take a 5/4 x 6 inch cedar board that is long enough to span the width of your boat and drill a couple of sets of holes on each end of the board, to accomodate a U bolt of the size that would clamp to your rails.

Then, when you wish to use the downriggers, simply place the down rigger board in place, and run the pair of U bolts through each end of the board and bolt securely to the rails.

Have any down riggers and or rod holders mounted to the board when you mount it.

When you get off of the water and or in the garage, unbolt the board, and all of its mounts and you are ready to go with an unmarred boat with no additional holes mounted in the boat.

Yes, the gunnel to gunnel transom board takes up some space. But the low cost as well as excellent functionality of the boards and its simple mounts make up for the issues - especially in an expected low use environment.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/2fish/...0/IMG_1115.JPG

-------------------

An alternative nice clean rigger mount:
https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...1&d=1302530138
Old 12-19-2017, 06:04 AM
Slot Fish

Have you thought about putting down riggers on gimbal mounts and then using the two rod holder openings in the back? That would be quick and simple. I spoke to a guy over the weekend that uses that system on his 619FS and loves it. Also it would keep the riggers off the back and out of the way of the side rods. Finally, if you plan to stick to rails, consider the Cisco rail mounts. You can leave them on for the boat cover. Two thumbscrews to attach your rod holders to these mounts.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW66 View Post
Have you thought about putting down riggers on gimbal mounts and then using the two rod holder openings in the back? That would be quick and simple. I spoke to a guy over the weekend that uses that system on his 619FS and loves it. Also it would keep the riggers off the back and out of the way of the side rods. Finally, if you plan to stick to rails, consider the Cisco rail mounts. You can leave them on for the boat cover. Two thumbscrews to attach your rod holders to these mounts.

It's pretty tough to set up something that the closest demo is a couple-3 hrs away. Not as forgiving as an extruded gunnel Lund with the built in track system.

I like the rear rod tube idea. Trying to visualize what gimbal mount you'd use though?

Dealer said a piece of track right behind the rear rod tubes.

I'm leaning towards leaving the rails on. I thought about scaling back to 44" rails and then adding a track behind them as well but not sure if the rails would just center out or start at same point in front and just stop short.

Adding the board across the rails would be an option, but would totally isolate the rear deck/jump seat area and probably the rear peds as well because the rails stop short. Now dropping this board on a couple of well fit dowels into the rear rod tubes is a different story though and worth considering.
Solix 12 G1
Old 12-19-2017, 07:46 AM
Slot Fish

Maybe mounts like these, but I don't have them, but I believe that these would work.
https://www.amazon.com/Cannon-Stainl...bal+downrigger

I now plan to keep saving for a 620FS after a long discussion with the dealer. I was leaning towards the 1880MS like you. However, the same situation would be faced regarding setup for riggers.