Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Towing Ball Height Question - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 05-17-2020, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Tandem,
Great suggestion for a very simple, elegant, straight forward solution to the drop distance issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

I have a 2019 F150 XLT (stock height) and use a 6" drop to get my boat trailer level. So the adjustable hitch in post #2 would not work for me. I was surprised it needed such a long drop.

Is your truck raised? It looks like it from that photo.

Last edited by brad34; 05-17-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:40 PM
Wallhanger

BandW make a nice hitch I just bought a new bulletproof hitch like it a lot more.The bandw wont work with Rockstar stoneguard fyi towtector is fine but if you run a diesel to much heat melt the bristles.Guess it all depends what you drive I wanted to be done so I went with bulletproof hitch.
Derek LaPointe #7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

Lots of variables to this. I keep in a rack a straight hitch a 2 inch drop a 4 inch drop a 6 inch drop and an 8 inch drop. I have a 1 ton Ram dually travel trailer take a reese dual cam setup, boat needs the 4 inch drop, dual axle equip trailer use the 6 inch drop, and small single axle trailer needs the 8 inch drop. Your needs will vary depending on your truck and what height of trailer hitch you are hooking to. Also make sure the hitch you buy is designed for the weight you are pulling hitches and balls come in different weight ratings. There is no one size fits all.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:19 AM
Wallhanger

I use a bullet proof hitch on my one ton. It is great they make it for 2 inch, 2.5 inch, or three inch receiver openings. You can switch out to Loop hitch. Clevis for towing farm trailers. Adjustable height. I would not recommended going to lower then 6 inch drop hitch’s unless you really have to have that low of a drop. When driving on logging roads with hills the eight inch hitch can hit the ground. If the OP tows allot of things besides his boat. Needs different drop hitch’s. It’s nice not having a whole collection of different drop height hitch’s in the truck.
https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/c...ions/2-hitches

Last edited by Snowking; 05-19-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:47 PM
Wallhanger

If you have a single axle trailer there isn’t need to have a level trailer. I prefer a lower front to reduce the wind profile, increase mpg’s and decrease wind induced sway. Double axles need to be level.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcoop52 View Post
Lots of variables to this. I keep in a rack a straight hitch a 2 inch drop a 4 inch drop a 6 inch drop and an 8 inch drop. I have a 1 ton Ram dually travel trailer take a reese dual cam setup, boat needs the 4 inch drop, dual axle equip trailer use the 6 inch drop, and small single axle trailer needs the 8 inch drop. Your needs will vary depending on your truck and what height of trailer hitch you are hooking to. Also make sure the hitch you buy is designed for the weight you are pulling hitches and balls come in different weight ratings. There is no one size fits all.

Actually, this one would work for every trailer you have. Up to 9” drop.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/pro...ble-ball-mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2020, 11:07 PM
Wallhanger

Well, how I do it, I start with the boat sitting level front to back. You can put a level on the frame of the trailer. I then back my pickup up to the hitch of the trailer. You can then easily measure the amount of drop you need for your ball mount. It will not be exact. Your pickup may settle slightly when the weight of your boat loads onto the hitch. You may want to allow an inch or so for that. This would be a good starting point.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Another consideration not mentioned, is the potential problem with having too low of a trailer tongue such that the mounted spare tire hits the ground while unloading/loading at an unconventional landing. This can be a very nasty situation, alleviated by having the trailer tongue a bit higher, just sayin'

Bill
Old 05-25-2020, 03:49 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryPF2531 View Post
The top of the hitch bar should be around 17" from the ground, 20" to the top of the hitch ball.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-7121.html
^^^This^^^

Top of my ball is 20.5” from the ground and has worked perfectly for both my Crestliner and my Ranger. My 10,000# travel trailer also uses a different hitch with a similar height so it should be a goo starting point.

I’ve been using a 6” Rapid Hitch for my boats and general use for the last 7 years and have been pleased.

http://https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/rapid-hitch.aspx

Last edited by Tilzbow; 05-25-2020 at 03:51 PM.