Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
E-TEC New DIGITIAL Tiller 2019 - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 12:09 PM
Keeper

Default small update

Integrated power steering and digital shifting...

https://www.outdoorsfirst.com/articl...-power-tiller/

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 07:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh500special View Post
Integrated power steering and digital shifting...

https://www.outdoorsfirst.com/articl...-power-tiller/

Steve
HUH, for those E-TEC haters, it sounds like E-TEC is going to be around a lot longer then them.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 02-16-2020, 03:33 PM
Keeper

Default so much for the nay sayers....

Just from reading the thread it appeared many were ready to sequester the new evinrude tiller. But, upon further review, it looks like they have hit a home run with an effective tiller. I would hope those critical of evinrudes tiller model would address this issue now that we know more about the digital tiller. My question....why wouldn't you want this type of motor? Please advise.....
Old 02-18-2020, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

To avoid confusion, there are 2 new digital tiller systems for 2020 Evinrude E-TEC G2 3-cylinder engines. For the 115HO and the 140, there is the dealer installed digital tiller kit. It is all electronic so there are no cables or shafts that have to be connected. Throttle and shift is digital.

For the 150 3-cyl., the motor can be ordered with the built-in power-assisted tiller steering system. There are no external pumps that have to be installed and no extra battery needed, everything is integrated in the motor.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:15 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
Just from reading the thread it appeared many were ready to sequester the new evinrude tiller. But, upon further review, it looks like they have hit a home run with an effective tiller. I would hope those critical of evinrudes tiller model would address this issue now that we know more about the digital tiller. My question....why wouldn't you want this type of motor? Please advise.....
Without getting into an ETEC vs fourstroke debate...I can't speak on outboards as I don't and have not run an ETEC nor the digital tiller. I run fourstrokes with excellent track record.

I have run BRP snowmobiles for years and have had more "digital" issues with them than any other brand. Wiring hardnesses, sensors and codes all issues all the time. Troubleshooting these were a nightmare without warranty. Parts and service are both expensive and exclusive in my experience making wait times and repairs costly. The warranty helps but not if you miss half a season. I'll stick with cables, I've never had an issue I couldn't fix on the lake.

Second gripe with BRP snowmobiles is the constant evolution. They are always making the latest and greatest? snowmobiles but they abandon older models and parts become scarce as they don't continue to offer parts and updates aren't available. Fourstrokes rarely change by comparison and parts are continually available from OEM and aftermarket.

Lastly, the precision injection and oil consumption that make these engines so different is only as good as the injectors. These engines still have twice the combustion so longevity will be an issue as will resale. If an injector goes so do the rest of the dominoes. Just less precision and less combustion with a fourstroke. The resale tells the tale.

Not saying they aren't good engines but anything evolving that quickly will leave you in the dust quicker. Digital is great but in marine applications I haven't found analogue controls to be an issue. Digtial seems to work perfectly or not at all.

Just my view.

Marshall
Old 02-19-2020, 09:00 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
Because it is still a 2 stroke motor and the VAST majority of outboard owners have made the switch to a reliable 4 stroke and will NEVER go back to a 2 stroke! #commonsense.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:28 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritonguy View Post
Because it is still a 2 stroke motor and the VAST majority of outboard owners have made the switch to a reliable 4 stroke and will NEVER go back to a 2 stroke! #commonsense.
I think they BRP makes an amazing two stroke product that is unlike any other.

That's a good and a bad thing though. Lots of tech, innovation, evolution and unproven longevity.

I just don't think I'll see a ton of 15+ year old etecs on the water. The same can't be said about four strokes. Shifting and throttle cables work great. Digital switches are cheap and actuators that change the gears are too.

I'll no longer own a snowmobile that doesn't have a manual gear shift. I've been stuck in reverse too many times. All utility machines still have them except BRP that has a complex shift on the fly gearbox that nobody asked for.

Expensive, unproven and left in the dust in favor of evolution. The G2 evinrude is a nice engine but remember they are on the G4 platform over as many years in the snowmobile world.

Marshall
Old 02-19-2020, 01:31 PM
Wallhanger

The 2 stroke outboard has been powering boats for over 100 years and many are still being used today. And they will be around for a LOOOONG time even if some idiots don’t care for them. As a matter of fact many top of the line bass anglers that fish in Major BASS Tournaments throughout the country prefer the 2 stroke E-TEC.. .
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 02-19-2020, 01:50 PM
Keeper

From 2016 with a 30 second search

https://kdhnews.com/copperas_cove_he...23ab3db88.html
Old 02-19-2020, 02:01 PM
Wallhanger

I`m surprised people still think bad of the two stroke motor.
I`m going to four stroke but that`s what the used boat is rigged with.
I had an Etec and the only pain I thought of it is the XD100 is a dealer exclusive.
Its pricey oil but not seeing it around on the shelf is the thing I didn`t like.
My area anyway. My 115 Etec five year in ran a little rough. New plugs made it like new again, Just ever 70 hours.
I would recommend Etec. Love the power. Looking forward to owning the Mercury 50 for a change.
Always had OMC Brands up to the Etec Good motors that served me well.
The Etec I liked. Thinking the spark plugs should have lasted longer and Oil being scarce to find are the only things I
found to complain about.
The new two strokes are as pleasent to run as the four strokes.
I`ll be dealing with oil changes now.
Perfection can`t be had.
How many people waving the four stroke flag ever had an Etec? I have an old choke em up smoke em up Johnson that was a good motor in it`s day. Nothing remotely like an Etec other than two Strokes.
Back in 2007 Bombardier Had a run of bad fuel injectors. Read those horror stories as well.
I personally have no preference Two or four but I might miss my Etec? Hope my Mercury runs as nice as the Etec did.

Last edited by whofan; 02-19-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Closed Thread