Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Faster boat, Lund or Ranger - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 10-30-2020, 10:27 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyed View Post
my 2019 Skeeter 22' WX2200
Totally off topic, how comfortably can you fish 2 guys in the bow of that boat? I've always been curious with Skeeter deep-Vs. Is that a rod locker or does it have rod tubes?

Happy Fishing!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2020, 10:45 AM
Wallhanger

Cornholio, it's not just about speed, speed is just the added benefactor. You state your boat runs wide out at 50 mph. That means somewhere near 6,400 rpm on your 250 Verado (if setup correctly) and likely consuming somewhere in the neighbor hood of 25-27 gallons an hour. I can run the same 50mph at around 5,000 rpm and consuming around 17-18 GPH. And this difference will be seen anywhere from just on plane through WOT. This is more about hull efficiency than anything else. The faster hull is going to get better fuel economy and the less work engine will be doing at comparable speeds, yet has the bonus of being able to air out and run considerably faster when the water allows. Also, I have no worries of running with you on a windy day, I can drop the zip-wakes, bury the nose and go, just as you can, I'll just be running 15 mph faster when we hit smooth water. Albeit we're off topic, but it does all relate to hull design and efficiency, not just hull material and weight.

As far as the original post, your talking around 4-5 mph between those two boats, not 1-2 mph and also a potentially softer ride. I don't quite see them as the same however, the Ranger is a foot longer, is powered with 25 more hp, and I would guess is a touch more expensive. It's gonna run faster, be dryer, and ride smoother which shouldn't surprise anyone. Typically speaking, this will always be the case with a comparison of glass versus aluminum in multi-species boats. They simply ride softer, run dryer, and often times will run equal with or faster than that of the comparative sized & powered aluminum boats, weight be ****ed. It just comes down to being able to form fiberglass in any shape while aluminum has it's limitations. That ability for manufactures to form glass lets them build a deep v hull that potentially has some form of a pad to run on, they can design more consistent and defined hook that can be massaged to there exact performance intentions, add in reverse chines at every stake and hull line for water deflection, and yet have a very aggressive V and keel to aid in not only cutting waves at speed, but track tighter and drift slower.

If your going to run bigger water, it's hard to see any advantage of going aluminum.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:31 PM
Keeper

The front deck on my Skeeter is massive. 7' of carpet, from the front of the windshield to the locator panel. About 8' to the first step down. Rod box easily holds my 8 1/2' trolling rods, and a lot of them. The lower floor area in the back is over 8' not counting the deck area in the back above the livewell and storage boxes. To be honest, for my needs, I am almost never on the front deck, as I mostly troll or jig for walleye. Easily room for two people to cast in the front. Go measure most any walleye boat and tell me if they have more than 7' of carpeted deck in front of their windshield, if they do, and they are under a 22' boat, they are giving up their back area used for trolling to get that. For me that was a no starter as I troll for salmon on lake Michigan alot, and with a Bimini top up, I need room for landing fish with my wire dipsys.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:12 PM
Keeper

SLE, I get your point about having more power. I could run 35mph and get the same fuel economy. My point was I'm not tournament fishing so I'm not in that big of a hurry. If I get somewhere 10 minutes later, I'm fine with that and I saved 10K on a 250 vs 350. Don't get me wrong, if money were no object i'd get the bigger motor. Not sure what boat you have but lets talk about hulls and ride in waves without zip wakes.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
..........but lets talk about hulls and ride in waves without zip wakes.
I'm good with that because I've ran mine with and without the zip-wakes. As a wise person once said to me (and they were 100% right), trim tabs will make a ****ty boat decent and a good boat great. I have zero issue running my Yar-Craft 219TFX against any comparable brand, wind blowing or smooth water. I ran it the first year without tabs and the second year I added them as another tool. At the $$$$$$ I spent on this rig, I could've bought any boat on the market but chose the one I bought as the best compromise between quality, overall hull performance, fish-ability, and dealer & manufacture service. That fact that it's also one of the most efficient hulls on the water is a nice bonus.

As far as the trim tabs go, not sure where your headed with that comment as I'd be willing to bet that warrior has more boats as a total % running tabs than any other multi-species manufacture. I don't think a boat should have to have them to run right however I'm not knocking them in any way, They are a fantastic tool that let's a person get the most out of their hull, flat or sloppy water, and dial in to the exact conditions and load for the day. and this comes for a guy that is all about prop performance first and foremost.

I'm not sure where you were going with your shot across the bow, But Warrior and Yar-Craft are two very different hulls and fishing platforms. There are are few people that would cross shop a 219TFX with a 203/208/2121. The boats are far too different. They'll both get the job done, but they're going to do it in much different ways.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:58 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
I'm good with that because I've ran mine with and without the zip-wakes. As a wise person once said to me (and they were 100% right), trim tabs will make a ****ty boat decent and a good boat great. I have zero issue running my Yar-Craft 219TFX against any comparable brand, wind blowing or smooth water. I ran it the first year without tabs and the second year I added them as another tool. At the $$$$$$ I spent on this rig, I could've bought any boat on the market but chose the one I bought as the best compromise between quality, overall hull performance, fish-ability, and dealer & manufacture service. That fact that it's also one of the most efficient hulls on the water is a nice bonus.

As far as the trim tabs go, not sure where your headed with that comment as I'd be willing to bet that warrior has more boats as a total % running tabs than any other multi-species manufacture. I don't think a boat should have to have them to run right however I'm not knocking them in any way, They are a fantastic tool that let's a person get the most out of their hull, flat or sloppy water, and dial in to the exact conditions and load for the day. and this comes for a guy that is all about prop performance first and foremost.

I'm not sure where you were going with your shot across the bow, But Warrior and Yar-Craft are two very different hulls and fishing platforms. There are are few people that would cross shop a 219TFX with a 203/208/2121. The boats are far too different. They'll both get the job done, but they're going to do it in much different ways.
I said I didn't know what boat you were running, so there wasn't any shot across the bow. I just believe that warrior is the best rough water boat out there. Just my opinion. The trim tabs comment was that I don't have them so meant apples to apples with boats that don't have them.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:48 PM
Minnow

Default Dixiedawg

I have owned 4 boats 1973 14' Lund, 2003 1800 Lund Fisherman, 2012 Skeeter MX 1825, and a 2020 Ranger 2080 Angler. Not here to say which boat is better, other than to comment on the speed of my current boat, which came with an Atlas 10" hydraulic set back plate and a Mercury 250 HP XS. Without out tweeking it the GPS has shown 57.7 MPH. Two people in boat, 1/2 tank of gas, and an empty livewell. Never fished a tournament, the boss and I just love to fish and eat walleye. Currently having a Merc 15 prokicker and troll master pro 3+installed and may venture up Devils Lake and Lake of the Woods next summer. Hopefully the Angler will handle some big water. Cheers, Love WC