Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best power/action combo for sensitivity - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2019, 11:14 PM
Minnow

Default Best power/action combo for sensitivity

I know this is subjective relative to graphite, manufacturer, personal preference, etc. Is there a power/action combo that results in better sensitivity? Does length have a significant impact? I am looking for a "go to" rod for 1/2oz - 5/8 oz blade baits. Sensitivity is my primary concern, followed by handle length, then weight/balance. The shorter handled rods don't work for me, like the St. Croix Tourney or Avid X. Need that extra inch, . I have had the opportunity the last couple of weekends to fish blades on six different lower - "middle of the road" rods.
7' Original E21 Carrot Stix Med Fast
7' Wild (not wild wild) Carrot Stix ML Fast
6-9 Veritas Med-Lt
6-8 St. Croix Icon Med-XF
6-9 13 Fishing Muse Gold ML - Fast
6-6 Cabelas XML Med-XF
All of these rods fished reasonably well for me. Oddly enough I managed to catch at least one fish on each rod, but sensitivity was very different. The original E21 was by far (for me) the most sensitive. I could actually feel the blade hit the bottom in 15-25 fow when wind wasn't blowing a bow in the line, (fishing braid). Where the others did not telegraph that contact, and I had to wait for the line to go slack on the drop. Mind you this is fairly distant casting as a test. The Abu (not current model)was not far behind, the Cabelas, as much as I wanted this rod to work, barely allowed me to feel the blade on the rip and it got returned. Currently interested in the Abu Venerate, Cabelas Prodigy, Ark Sniper, and Fenwick Elite Tech or HMG. St. Croix Avid seems to be a favorite but the generic reel seat/handle is not very comfortable to me. Do I need to roll the dice on a $400 rod or am I looking at the wrong actions, power. Sorry for being long winded, thanks for any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

For sensitivity with a blade bait of that weight, I would be using a medium action rod in a 5'8" length.

Good luck
Old 01-30-2019, 09:46 AM
Wallhanger

All things being equal, an extra fast action transmits more vibration (i.e. sensitivity) than a moderate action. A shorter rod has a slight advantage over longer rod (less rod to absorb the vibration).

For me, I would not want a super sensitive rod for blade baits, my elbow and wrist prefer a more moderate action (as does my hookup rates). If you need more sensitivity for feeling the tap on the bottom, I suggest holding the rod so that your index finger is resting directly on the blank. Handles absorb a tremendous amount of vibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 10:58 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamo View Post
I know this is subjective relative to graphite, manufacturer, personal preference, etc. Is there a power/action combo that results in better sensitivity? Does length have a significant impact? I am looking for a "go to" rod for 1/2oz - 5/8 oz blade baits. Sensitivity is my primary concern, followed by handle length, then weight/balance. The shorter handled rods don't work for me, like the St. Croix Tourney or Avid X. Need that extra inch, . I have had the opportunity the last couple of weekends to fish blades on six different lower - "middle of the road" rods.
7' Original E21 Carrot Stix Med Fast
7' Wild (not wild wild) Carrot Stix ML Fast
6-9 Veritas Med-Lt
6-8 St. Croix Icon Med-XF
6-9 13 Fishing Muse Gold ML - Fast
6-6 Cabelas XML Med-XF
All of these rods fished reasonably well for me. Oddly enough I managed to catch at least one fish on each rod, but sensitivity was very different. The original E21 was by far (for me) the most sensitive. I could actually feel the blade hit the bottom in 15-25 fow when wind wasn't blowing a bow in the line, (fishing braid). Where the others did not telegraph that contact, and I had to wait for the line to go slack on the drop. Mind you this is fairly distant casting as a test. The Abu (not current model)was not far behind, the Cabelas, as much as I wanted this rod to work, barely allowed me to feel the blade on the rip and it got returned. Currently interested in the Abu Venerate, Cabelas Prodigy, Ark Sniper, and Fenwick Elite Tech or HMG. St. Croix Avid seems to be a favorite but the generic reel seat/handle is not very comfortable to me. Do I need to roll the dice on a $400 rod or am I looking at the wrong actions, power. Sorry for being long winded, thanks for any thoughts.
Reading your post, I'm assuming that you are casting the blades. In that case, I have found the longer rods (6'8 - 7+) have the most sensitivity. That said, you'd want something more than a ML for the weight you are throwing. Personally I would go with a 7" M Power XF Action.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the responses. Since I am casting, rarely vertical, I never considered anything shorter than 6-6. I was of the impression that a faster tip meant the rod did most of the work and create less fatigue, even to the point of accidentally over working a bait, considering the current cold waters? I feel like I should be able to detect the slightest disturbance to a bait when it is falling on a tight line. I expect to feel the bait bounce bottom before the line goes slack. Am I asking too much from a rod or asking to much from this price point?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:50 AM
Slot Fish

When I am working blades or rippin raps, I am almost always a line watcher because you'll see a disturbance before you feel it. The other thing I have noticed is that you won't necessarily feel a "thump" from hitting bottom - especially when fishing in current or when your lure is further out. So to answer your question, you probably are asking too much from the rod and will just have to play with the sensation of your bait in relation to watching the line.