Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Etec - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 01-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Wallhanger

Default Etec

Why is there so much hate for ETec outboards? Last spring I bought a 2016 Alumacraft Escape with a 30hp ETec tiller. I fish small lakes, so this combination is perfect for me. The ETec performed flawless all season long.

Prior to this I had a Classic 165 with a F60 Yamaha tiller. That engine also performed flawless for five seasons. My ETec is very, very close to as smooth and quite as the Yamaha.

My brother has the Escape 165 with a 40hp ETec tiller that is four years old. He is just as pleased with his boat and motor as I am.

My little boat is just perfect for the small lakes that I fish, plus it is very easy for a older person to continue to fish out of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

I think Etecs have had more problems than the other 4 major competitors. I’m sure that most of the bugs have been worked out by now but bitter tastes often linger. My 2016 135ho was a riddled with problems and after 4 or 5 trips to two different dealers I had enough and got rid of the boat with less than 10hrs on it. I personally will never own another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

I ran one for 4 years in my last boat. What's not to like? Amazing 2 stroke acceleration, 3 years service intervals, extremely quiet and made in the U.S.A. Granted, you have to buy 2 stoke oil, but for me that was still cheaper and much less hassle than changing the oil and filter every year. I would have got another but I bought my current boat used and it came with a 4 stroke EFI Merc, which is also a great motor.

andersaki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 AM
Minnow

In a recent industry news release, it was stated that 95% of the outboard motors sold worldwide are 4 strokes. The 2 stroke outboard is a dying breed. Even Mercury (who is legendary for their speed/performance) dropped their 2 stroke Optimax this year and now exclusively manufacture 4 stroke motors. A 2 stroke can not live as long as a 4 stroke, this has been proven time and again. Plus Evinrude continues to have issues with their 2 stroke Etecs. I'm thinking they will come out with a 4 stroke soon, they already have 4 strokes in their Seadoo and Ski-Doo family. Google Etec complaints from Consumer Affairs and here is what you see: [url]https://www.consumeraffairs.com/boats/evinrude.html[/url]
Old 01-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Wallhanger

There are 2 strokes being used that are from the 50's. Don't last as long???
Old 01-12-2019, 05:23 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=mike@lacannesmarine.com;6278238]In a recent industry news release, it was stated that 95% of the outboard motors sold worldwide are 4 strokes. The 2 stroke outboard is a dying breed. Even Mercury (who is legendary for their speed/performance) dropped their 2 stroke Optimax this year and now exclusively manufacture 4 stroke motors. A 2 stroke can not live as long as a 4 stroke, this has been proven time and again. Plus Evinrude continues to have issues with their 2 stroke Etecs. I'm thinking they will come out with a 4 stroke soon, they already have 4 strokes in their Seadoo and Ski-Doo family. Google Etec complaints from Consumer Affairs and here is what you see: [url]https://www.consumeraffairs.com/boats/evinrude.html[/url][/QUOTE]
Input a search on mercury 4 strokes! This is still a ford vs chevy thing.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:53 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=mike@lacannesmarine.com;6278238]In a recent industry news release, it was stated that 95% of the outboard motors sold worldwide are 4 strokes. The 2 stroke outboard is a dying breed. Even Mercury (who is legendary for their speed/performance) dropped their 2 stroke Optimax this year and now exclusively manufacture 4 stroke motors. A 2 stroke can not live as long as a 4 stroke, this has been proven time and again. Plus Evinrude continues to have issues with their 2 stroke Etecs. I'm thinking they will come out with a 4 stroke soon, they already have 4 strokes in their Seadoo and Ski-Doo family. Google Etec complaints from Consumer Affairs and here is what you see: [url]https://www.consumeraffairs.com/boats/evinrude.html[/url][/QUOTE]

I went to the site you put on here. It shows 17 complaints. I’m sure if I looked at the other manufactures, I would be able to find some complaints about them.

I think people just have a hangover from the FICHT engines.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Bassin,

Unfortunately, I think that it is more than a hang over from the Ficht engines.

I knew of several local folks who had purchased an e-tec over the years. None of them own an e-tec any longer.

Every one of them now has a 4-stroke motor on the back of their boats.

Why the switched - would have to come individually from each of them.

However, manufacturers always strive to improve their products. I would expect that if a person purchased a new 2019 e-tec, they would likely get years of trouble free service from it.

Your choice.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:31 AM
Minnow

Not a big motor guy, but I have always ran Evinrude 2-strokes. Every Merc 2-stroke Ive used or tried out has always had some sort of issue the owner is "working out".

If I had to pick a motor, it will always be a 2-stroke Evinrude. If I'm forced to pick a 4-stroke, it'll be Suzuki.

2-stroke power rankings
1. Evinrude/Johnson
2. Yamaha
POWER GAP
3. Paddle
POWER GAP
4. Pushpole
POWER GAP
POWER GAP
5. Merc

4-stroke power rankings
1. Suzuki
2. Tohatsu
3. Yamaha
POWER GAP
4. Honda
POWER GAP
5. Merc
Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Ozark Bob;6278378]There are 2 strokes being used that are from the 50's. Don't last as long???[/QUOTE]

I have a 9.9 from 1968 that my grandfather bought and it still runs as well today as it did back then. In my lifetime so far I have owned four different boats, three of them were rigged with Evinrude motors and other than a cranking sensor going bad last summer on my current motor I have never had an issue.
Lowrance HDS-12 Live
Lowrance HDS-12 Carbon w/3 in 1
Lowrance Outboard Pilot w/Remote
Lowrance VHF Link-8
TrollMaster Pro 2
Fish Hawk X4
Cisco Tracks, Masts & Rod Holders