Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rod holders heavy enough for musky trolling? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Wallhanger

Default Rod holders heavy enough for musky trolling?

I've got these cannon rod holders. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cannon-Ro...QaAhQ3EALw_wcB

I wanna start trolling for musky but don't wanna have a set up end up in the drink and lose a fish. I have extensions on some too. Anyone had this style fail or use them for big fish?
NPAA #409
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumalunker View Post
I've got these cannon rod holders. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cannon-Ro...QaAhQ3EALw_wcB

I wanna start trolling for musky but don't wanna have a set up end up in the drink and lose a fish. I have extensions on some too. Anyone had this style fail or use them for big fish?
I had similar style rod holders that I used for mag dipsey divers for salmon. They held up to 20lb+ salmon strikes while pulling a dipsey diving over 100ft. BUT they did make me nervous, I could watch them twist and flex when a fish hit, I eventually upgraded to some Bert's rod holders. They were like $80 each but the combos they were holding were well over $250 each so it made sense to upgrade in my mind.

Alumacraft 175 Tourney Pro - 150 Merc, 8hp Tohatsu, Helix 9 SI/DI, 24v Terrova w/iPilot Link
Old 10-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Wallhanger

Folbe Advantage are very sturdy. Not the most expensive but probably not what most would consider cheap either. somewhere around $50/each + any rail mounts or extension that you might want. I cann't say I've ever had any fear of loosing a rod/real with one of these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Wallhanger

I’ve run into big snags with basic Scotty rod holders and extensions. They have twisted 90 degrees straight back, but I’ve never had on break. The rod will break before the holder, in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Impact owner

Just use the cannons when you're trolling Muskie your going to want to set your drag on the looser side so your not ripping hooks out anyway.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Wallhanger

I agree with SLE on the Folbe rod holders. I think they are the strongest plastic holders. You also can lock the rod in. That way you can tilt down to fish the rod tips ny the surface. I fish for salmon so I also have metal rod holders. You would for sure want racheting metal rod holders. Either Burt’s or traxtech now make them also. I like traxtech better. That so when you get a fish on you can easily pull the rod holder up to remove the rod. They are not setup very well to run rods tipped down or Totally straight out. You could lose your rods.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
I’ve run into big snags with basic Scotty rod holders and extensions. They have twisted 90 degrees straight back, but I’ve never had on break. The rod will break before the holder, in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-03-2018, 05:55 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

I use the Downeast metal holders. I often troll for Pike & Muskie at over 3 mph. Maybe the plastic ones hold up just fine but I always go with better safe then sorry. If I have my drag set properly and a quality rod my set-up shouldn't fail. But we all know stuff happens.

To each their own.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:20 AM
Wallhanger

TRACKtTech or Cisco. Pick your poison.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:00 AM
Wallhanger

All the Musky captains on Lake St Clair use Down East Salty rod holders. Berts makes an adaptor fora trac system to use them or Down East make them for rails.