Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Small Personal Fishing Tournament - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Minnow

We do an "Iron Man" each year.

24hrs of fishing.
No leaving the boat (unless for emergencies)
Scored by total length in inches of walleyes caught.

We've also wised up over the years and shortened it to 18hrs. 4:00am in Northern MN soaked from dew and shivering wasn't much fun, but was done more than once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Keeper

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I have a few that we will implement. Thanks again.
KC
Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I'll share what our Walleye Club does with their "Club Outings" - you can take or leave any of our format you'd like.

We transitioned to Catch Photo Release Optional a few years ago, and will never go back. If you want to keep a fish, you can. It's not a $$ tournament, I believe each individuals integrity is greater than deception on a this type of outing.

We run 5 per year - weekend outings - early and late in the year we'll stay in a motel, but most is designed around camping, tenting.

The photo's provide good background for our clubs monthly newsletter.

We have kids, and adult divisions - kids can weigh any "game" species of fish (that does make the CRR format harder). Adult are only allowed Walleye. We used to weigh them, now we convert the length to weight - MUCH easier at the end of the day. 3 best fish for the weekend count for each person. You can record 3 on Saturday, and get 3 bigger ones Sunday, and they bump the smaller fish from day 1 off the board.

You can fish by yourself, or put as many people in your boat that you want - results are tabulated for the individual, not the team.

Everyone helps everyone catch fish. The idea is, share fishing information so everyone has the opportunity to catch some fish - secrets are not encouraged. We learn better as a group. If you are on fish - share it, and what you are doing.

We start fishing at 0730, and quit fishing at 1500 - everyone helps everyone put each other's boat in, and take them out at the ramp at the end of the day. When travel time is longer, we'll fish 0730-1600 Saturday, and 0730-1400 on Sunday so we can be close to home by dark.

This part is a lie - we don't build any camp fires, we don't drink any beer, the kids don't have any fun, we don't tell any stories, we never laugh, dance, or sing.

But the following morning, the coffee absolutely goes on at 0515 AM - and if you are going to have breakfast - you better get out of bed and be there by 0600 or you'll go hungry - cuz breakfast will be all cleaned up, boats will be ready to go, and we'll be putting in at 0730.

I don't have children, my wife does not fish - I show up to our club outings by myself all the time, and I've NEVER fished by myself. Most often it falls into place before we leave home, but I've been at the ramp Saturday Morning - arrived by myself - and before my boat hits the water I've got 4 kids sitting in the boat? OK, I think the joke might have been on me that day - EVERY kid got in my boat - the mom's and dad's fished without their kids. Suffice it to say - it was a hot day, and I took the kids swimming for about half the day.

Brittany was 12 last year - fished once, or twice before - in her life. Then she fished with me. At first it was fun - she caught some really nice fish, big ones. She beat the adults - and all her fish were walleye - no other "game fish" in her bag. So it was her good luck to fish with me again, which she continued to do, and she continued to kick b^%$.

Including mine.

I don't like her very much any more....

That's kinda the way it works for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
I don't have children, my wife does not fish - I show up to our club outings by myself all the time, and I've NEVER fished by myself. Most often it falls into place before we leave home, but I've been at the ramp Saturday Morning - arrived by myself - and before my boat hits the water I've got 4 kids sitting in the boat? OK, I think the joke might have been on me that day - EVERY kid got in my boat - the mom's and dad's fished without their kids. Suffice it to say - it was a hot day, and I took the kids swimming for about half the day.

Brittany was 12 last year - fished once, or twice before - in her life. Then she fished with me. At first it was fun - she caught some really nice fish, big ones. She beat the adults - and all her fish were walleye - no other "game fish" in her bag. So it was her good luck to fish with me again, which she continued to do, and she continued to kick b^%$.

Including mine.

I wish I would have known that you were open to this idea, I would have dropped my kids off at your house for an AYA Tourney or 2,,,,,,,,

HRG
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Minnow

Default Keep it simple

Let guys fish with who they want. Set limits based on two man teams so that they are not disadvantaged by those with more people on the boat.

Not sure what the laws are in your state, but here in Michigan that would mean:

Maximum 6 lines per boat/Maximum 10 fish per boat. Give awards based on biggest bag of 10 fish and for biggest fish.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
I'll share what our Walleye Club does with their "Club Outings" - you can take or leave any of our format you'd like.

We transitioned to Catch Photo Release Optional a few years ago, and will never go back. If you want to keep a fish, you can. It's not a $$ tournament, I believe each individuals integrity is greater than deception on a this type of outing.

We run 5 per year - weekend outings - early and late in the year we'll stay in a motel, but most is designed around camping, tenting.

The photo's provide good background for our clubs monthly newsletter.

We have kids, and adult divisions - kids can weigh any "game" species of fish (that does make the CRR format harder). Adult are only allowed Walleye. We used to weigh them, now we convert the length to weight - MUCH easier at the end of the day. 3 best fish for the weekend count for each person. You can record 3 on Saturday, and get 3 bigger ones Sunday, and they bump the smaller fish from day 1 off the board.

You can fish by yourself, or put as many people in your boat that you want - results are tabulated for the individual, not the team.

Everyone helps everyone catch fish. The idea is, share fishing information so everyone has the opportunity to catch some fish - secrets are not encouraged. We learn better as a group. If you are on fish - share it, and what you are doing.

We start fishing at 0730, and quit fishing at 1500 - everyone helps everyone put each other's boat in, and take them out at the ramp at the end of the day. When travel time is longer, we'll fish 0730-1600 Saturday, and 0730-1400 on Sunday so we can be close to home by dark.

This part is a lie - we don't build any camp fires, we don't drink any beer, the kids don't have any fun, we don't tell any stories, we never laugh, dance, or sing.

But the following morning, the coffee absolutely goes on at 0515 AM - and if you are going to have breakfast - you better get out of bed and be there by 0600 or you'll go hungry - cuz breakfast will be all cleaned up, boats will be ready to go, and we'll be putting in at 0730.

Including mine.

I like the CPR tournament too. That way people can keep eaters if they want them, and its easy. Everyone needs a camera, and a rule. Check the rulers at the beginning (issue your own standard ones if you really want to) and let people take photos.

We round up to the nearest 1/4 inch. Payout the top 3. We've also done an optional pot for biggest fish (winner take all) and most species.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
I wish I would have known that you were open to this idea, I would have dropped my kids off at your house for an AYA Tourney or 2,,,,,,,,

HRG
Heh, I'm not director anymore for Devils Lake AYA - I can enter now, just need some kids. Word is as of this morning, 28 entries received, we cap at 40 - there is still time.

July... hmmm, 12th I think it is.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Keeper

This is a bachelor fishing party. Our fishing club photos all fish on the ruler. Most inches wins. The photos also preserve the memories for a lifetime. Keep the rules simple. The gifts now that is the hard part. After all it's bachelor party gifts should be odd and fun.
By the way pass along kudos to the bachelor.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Wallhanger

For a bachelor party, keep it very simple largest fish wins. Winner also get bragging rights for the whole weekend.

Fisherman 1792
Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Minnow

PM sent!