Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Leaders- Steel or Fluorocarbon? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2018, 01:58 PM
Keeper

Default Leaders- Steel or Fluorocarbon?

What do you guys prefer/recommend for musky/pike fishing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECIRandy View Post
What do you guys prefer/recommend for musky/pike fishing?

I know a lot of people think fluorocarbon is great but only until the first bite off. First of all muskies are not leader shy at all. Muskies can and will sever fluorocarbon. No reason to use fluorocarbon and leave hooks in fish. I know several people who have had bite offs with 100 lb. test fluorocarbon. They quit using fluorocarbon. You can catch big fish on a jig with mono line, but it is only about the orientation of the line in the mouth. Do yourself a favor and use real leaders.

Everybody seems worried about leaders and the fish’s sensitivity to them. I always use steel leaders when trolling crank baits for walleyes and outcatch my partners as they have so many bite offs. Fish are not as leader shy as people think.

This year we caught multiple walleyes up to 28.5 inches on crank baits with 12 inch steel leaders. Why risk losing fish because of some urban legends about leaders?

Frank
Old 08-31-2018, 07:13 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

I agree with Breezy although I have both in the boat. I'll use steel 100% of the time if fishing "big fish" water. Just be sure to get a quality leader with a very good snap. They can be a hassle to hook but they aren't going to bend straight either.
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2018, 07:21 PM
Wallhanger

I use 125 lb fluorocarbon never bit off never kinks never frays lasts a long time
Old 09-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Wallhanger

Wire.
I had a little test for a friend of mine one time who insisted Muskie see the wire leader. I made up some wire leaders and put various colors of plastic tubing on the wire so there would be no doubt the muskie would see the leader. Caught three and he caught 0 on floro. I also caught a 51 on the leader only after the fish missed the bait and clamped down on the leader which stuck in his teeth.
Dont take a chance and kill a fish. Use wire.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyPoint View Post
. I know several people who have had bite offs with 100 lb. test fluorocarbon. They quit using fluorocarbon. You can catch big fish on a jig with mono line, but it is only about the orientation of the line in the mouth. Do yourself a favor and use real leaders.

Frank
and therein lies the problem... If you are are only using 100 LBS fluorocarbon you are using way too light of line. 130 LBS minimum for bucktails, 150, 175 or 200 for Swim baits or trolling big baits. They both work but if you look at people that make a living musky fishing most are using fluro for most applications. Saltwater guys who catch fish with as many or more teeth than a musky use it and heavy mono all the time... Like any tool, use the right one, and the right size and it works great, use the wrong one and problems ensue...
Old 05-05-2019, 08:42 PM
Slot Fish

I use 9 inch Berkley 30lbs steel leaders. Never disappointed with them but I have been looking at plain wire for some applications and Titanium leaders.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:09 AM
Wallhanger

I’ll use flouro or titanium. Depending on my whims that day.Since titanium wire came out I’ve switched to making my own out of that material instead of using steel.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:10 PM
Wallhanger

I use 190lb straight wire for gliders and jerkbaits

130 or 150 for rubber and bucktails and whatever else.

Trolling leaders are 80 or 100 flouro
Old 09-16-2021, 07:29 PM
Wallhanger

150# Segaur Blue Label Big Game fluoro. I don't use steel, ever. I troll with 3-4 footers & cast with 18-24" leaders.

I'm still working on finding the right snaps though... For now, VMC Duolock 90# but I'm thinking I should've gone heavier though

Swivels on the other end are Sampo size 4 (150#) with welded rings

Getting a good knot took me a pretty long time to figure out though. This thing helped really draw knots tight: https://thirtyfathoms.com/products/c...ions-hook-pull but I gave it a small mod so hooks, snaps & anything else could be used

Happy fishing!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knot puller mod.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	329276