Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Braid or no braid? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2021, 07:40 AM
Wallhanger

braid is best because of sensitivity and hook set in deeper water. but you really have to be careful with your hook sets with light lines. and I'm a diehard Fluro leader guy in most cases. but with light lines like 10# or lighter, I'll try fishing without a leader first. I've done a lot of bass fishing with 20# braid without a leader using a worm without a leader and did ok with it. but being a little slow to give slack I went back to mono and got more hook sets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2021, 07:45 AM
Slot Fish

I switched to braid and initially didn't like it until I learned that you need to set the drag a lot lower than with mono. Once I figured that out, never went back. The sensitivity difference is huge. My 82 year old father on the other hand.... He'll strip the braid off and put mono on if you handed him a rod with braid on it. All the while cussing like the former sailor he is.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:41 AM
Wallhanger

I usually run 6 or 8# test mono and in that line weight I'm not buying the sensitivity bit, if you can't feel with that light of line, your doing something wrong. imho

I use mono if at all possible, but it has it's limitations, fishing 40 fow with a 3/4 oz jig and 8# test, Braid is the way to go.

Don't normally fish that deep as it hard on walleyes, if not fatal.

I figure each has it's pros and cons, just find the one that works best for you at what ever situation your in.

You'll find both in most pros boats, unless of course their sponsor don't make mono....

al
Old 06-14-2021, 07:42 AM
Minnow

My preference is definitely braid for both jigging and trolling. When you're jigging it gives you a much more sensitive feel for what's happening with your lure, since it doesn't stretch. And when you're trolling, the smaller diameter helps to get your lure deeper down, since the line generates less friction in the water.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:25 AM
Slot Fish

Serious question to the OP: have you ever used braid? Do you have friends who use braid? If no to both, why switch to something that you and your friends have no experience with. Plus, why do you feel the need to try a new type of line?

If you still want to go down the rabbit hole, as other have already stated, braid acts differently than mono and has it's plusses and minuses when compared to mono. You said jigging--how deep? In my opinion, if fishing less than 15-20', mono might be better keeping fish hooked. Deeper than 30', you will feel more bites with braid. Trolling, less than 50' line out go mono, +100' of line behind the boat go braid. In a nutshell, any fishing technique that requires feel at a distance, go braid.

Side notes: I do not run straight braid to lure. I use a 4-6' mono/fluoro leader for jigging and a 15-25' mono/fluoro leader when trolling. Two reasons: 1) the leader gives a little stretch that helps keep fish hooked, especially when they go crazy around the boat, 2) since I fish around rocks quite often, mono is a bit more abrasion resistant and you can see/feel the frays easier than braid.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:43 AM
Wallhanger

My eldest son suddenly got into fishing this year after never showing an interest before. Casting jig and plastic hes averaging two walleye an hour which is pretty darn good for an inland lake in Michigan. Its one heck of a lot better than I did learning with mono last century. Maybe things have changed a bit with the ability to get on fish but hes still feeling those bites and keeping mostly clear of weeds without being too far above them obviously.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:29 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfish1 View Post
I received a St Croix premier 6'6" medium spinning rod for a retirement gift. I'm going to use it for jigging and slow trolling. So, braid or mono? Trying to figure it out.
Thanks!

What you do? Braid? Mono? Copolymer?
Old 06-16-2021, 06:02 AM
Wallhanger

I've got 8 lb. mono right now. You hear all the talk about braid from the TV "pros" and it just got me thinking. Advertising and product placement works I guess. When it's time to replace the mono, maybe I'll try braid.

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:37 AM
Keeper

I am pretty much in the 100% braid camp now. I have slowly been phasing out mono for the past 25 years. I still have some cheap spinning rods that I keep loading up with mono, rods without enough give to hook a walleye. I just used one the other day, and wondered with all of the line memory if it was even worth it.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:03 PM
Wallhanger

For vertical jigging, pitch jigging or slow trolling or drifting for walleyes I use 4 to 6 lb mono Trilene XL or the hybrid purple Gamma. For dragging spinners or trolling cranks I use 20 lb Power Pro with a mono or copolymer 10 to 14 lb leader. For spin casting I use 10lb mono.