Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you think ice fishing is damaging open water fishing? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2021, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

I just had this conversation with a guide up on LOTW two days ago. He actually brought it up. Being the border is closed we fished the MN side for a few days. Very slow. A guide walked over to our slip while we were messing around with the kids fishing off the dock. He brought it up which i thought was odd. His claim is that on any given day on LOTW in the frozen season there are 40,000 anglers, if each guy only caught and kept 1 fish, what does that do the population over time? The saving grace for the MN side is that very little pressure on the canadian side so they get wanderers from canada swimming over. I'd say if the US had that whole lake it would be decimated like all the MN fisheries. Really sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2021, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

If a fish is removed from a body of water and the natural course is not sufficient to replace that fish - the removal of said fish - is affecting the fishing on that body of water.

The time of the year - that a fish is removed from the water is irrelevant.

Take care
Old 06-16-2021, 10:17 AM
Wallhanger

For many lakes, I donít think there is any question that ice fishing puts on a lot more pressure than open water fishing.

Many people spend entire weekends on the ice. It's like camping and fishing simultaneously, and each person has two lines in the water the whole time. Not many people ice fish alone. Contrast this with open water, where many people fish alone. They aren't out there the entire weekend either. They at least come off at night for the most part.

You can often fit a lot more ice fisherman on a lake at one time. If you have a spot to park your fish house, you're good to go. There are only so many parking spaces available for boat trailers, and some of those spots are taken by people who won't be doing any fishing (partiers, skiers, tubers).
Old 06-16-2021, 11:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronomist_at_ia View Post
Hopefully you get one good crappie spawn to really bump a year class.

It is kinda different listening to guys from areas like MN complain about people fishing and keeping fish when they have 10,000 lakes and more fishing areas then just about anywhere......but when I fish with people from Minn it seems like if they aren't catching fish within 15-30min they think the fishing sucks.

Not sure what lake you are talking about Kevin, but I do wish they would cut down on the amount of panfish numbers a guy can keep on the Iowa Great Lakes chain. This winter I started out catching a few decent Perch....has the season progressed.......by Feb. a 7in perch was the best a guy could find. With the non stop cities out on the ice, I wish they'd reduce the limit and put a freaking minnimum length on the perch....I don't think some of the fish people keep can even produce a potato chip filet. Seems like the fish never get to a decent size either, due to everybody keeping the small ones.
We begged the biologist for a 10" crappie size limit on this lake when all of this was happening, had a petition and hundreds of people wanting it. You know what his response was to all of us? "angling pressure has no effect on fish populations or size in Iowa, changing the limits would not change anything". Same lake has an 18" bass minimum, makes sense right? That statement, which was directly to me since I was pushing it so hard, left me completely speechless and dumbfounded. That is when I lost all respect for him and gave up on the lake. I said this lake is done for, enjoy your bass lake.. people thought I was nuts but guess what? now its a bass lake with small panfish. Most serious panfish angler have given up on it, and its just bass tourneys every weekend now (what the dnr wants, thats money).

When this lake was forming I had plenty of free time for fishing, and was fishing 5-6 days a week year around. I watched the lake change, I was there almost every day (releasing of course) and probably had a better idea of what was happening with the lake than the biologist who stocked it then said what is "supposed" to be happening.

First couple years were stocker fish, real small of course. Then the crappies got big enough to eat the small bluegill and bass that were being stocked, and they grew like crazy. We will call this year 1 (more like year 4 or 5), year 1 we caught a lot of 12" crappies with the average being 10-11".
Year 2 the average was 12" with a few 13-14's, this year they stocked the lake with more crappies.
Year 3 they announced all over about how great the fishing was in the lake, was on every news station and paper and the DNR biologists were always talking on TV saying to come out and enjoy the lake. This winter is when the crappie boom started, when it went from 5-10 of us ice fishing it the year before to 60 to even as high as 120 trucks (I counted) in a day ice fishing it. Everybody was catching these crappies because it was easy, and most were keeping a limit. Average size dropped to 10-11" again by the end of the year.
Year 4 had just as much pressure, but this time spring spawn and summer as well. We noticed the aggressive bigger fish were harder to come by, and the stocked fish grew like crazy and were 6-8" already. Springtime was a line of people on shore every day with a bucket of crappies. Average size probably 9" or so, mostly caught hundreds of babies and could get 10 or so nicer ones a day.
Year 5 was a struggle, but still caught fish if you knew what you were doing. Stocked fish were 9" now and people were still filling buckets. Rarely ever caught a fish over that stocked 9" size. One out of 200 was over 9" it seemed. Still tons of pressure ice fishing, hundreds of people fishing for these 9" fish and keeping limits.
Year 6 was two years ago, all of a sudden it was hard to even catch the 9"ers, and they didnt grow. If you were really lucky you could find some 9.5" fish but I did not catch a 10" fish this whole year. This is when we started the petition for 10" minimum and was told angler limits didnt matter.
Year 7 was last year and the fishing sucked. Myself and most of my friends gave up on panfishing it. Just dinks and hard to even find a school of crappies. I switched to targeting walleyes and catfish through the ice and did catch a handful of real nice 12-14" crappies out in 40 feet of water on big spoons but was one or two a day.

Remember everyone, anglers have no impact on panfish size or numbers according to Iowa DNR biologists.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:37 PM
Wallhanger

Pretty funny that on a fishing site dedicated to sharing information on how to catch more fish, fisherman are blaming other fisherman for taking too many fish. StrangeÖÖ
Live and die on this day......
Old 06-16-2021, 03:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportdog View Post
Pretty funny that on a fishing site dedicated to sharing information on how to catch more fish, fisherman are blaming other fisherman for taking too many fish. StrangeÖÖ
Not strange at all. Protecting the resource helps ensure we all have fish to catch.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad34 View Post
Not strange at all. Protecting the resource helps ensure we all have fish to catch.
How do you reconcile “catching more fish” with complaints about catching more fish. It’s an oxymoron. Maybe banning sites like this one? Make manufacturing industry’s stop making more fish catching products? Odd and even days you can fish? Make all fish caught must be registered? Only make it so you can fish and other guys can’t to protect the resources? Ban guides because they are so efficient at catching fish?

Last edited by Sportdog; 06-16-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad34 View Post
How do you reconcile “catching more fish” with complaints about catching more fish. It’s an oxymoron. Maybe banning sites like this one? Make manufacturing industry’s stop making more fish catching products? Odd and even days you can fish? Make all fish caught must be registered? Only make it so you can fish and other guys can’t to protect the resources? Ban guides because they are so efficient at catching fish?
Well you living in southern Alabama you probably have never seen ice , so there you go !!!🤣
Old 06-16-2021, 03:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallychowder View Post
Well you living in southern Alabama you probably have never seen ice , so there you go !!!🤣
I lived in Michigan for 63 years. If you donít know what youíre talking about you need to refrain from showing your ignorance.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Pretty funny that on a fishing site dedicated to sharing information on how to catch more fish, fisherman are blaming other fisherman for taking too many fish. Strange……
No ! Whats strange is someone from Alabama telling us how to manage our fisheries up north ?