Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Spark Plugs in a Ford 3.5 Ecoboost - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2021, 11:49 AM
Wallhanger

Default Spark Plugs in a Ford 3.5 Ecoboost

Here's my question, I have a 2015 3.5 Ecoboost in a Ford F150, 94,000 miles on it, has been trouble free. I have a lifetime warranty from the dealer on it, but lots of fine print. One thing that is required is a plug change before 100,000 miles. I have heard lots of stories about plug changes in Fords, what might I expect to pay for that? Also the dealer went out of the new vehicle business, go figure, but would honor the warranty, I am leery of these warranties, but it came with the purchase, Worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2021, 01:23 PM
Keeper

Dave , my Ecoboost is an 2013 , had the plugs replaced at 50,000 miles because I tow and run it hard . Dealer charged me for 1.9 Hours at $100 per hour back in July of 2018 . Very important to change the boots as well. The engines with spark plug troubles was the 5.4 V 8 .
Old 06-16-2021, 01:57 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Walker View Post
Here's my question, I have a 2015 3.5 Ecoboost in a Ford F150, 94,000 miles on it, has been trouble free. I have a lifetime warranty from the dealer on it, but lots of fine print. One thing that is required is a plug change before 100,000 miles. I have heard lots of stories about plug changes in Fords, what might I expect to pay for that? Also the dealer went out of the new vehicle business, go figure, but would honor the warranty, I am leery of these warranties, but it came with the purchase, Worth it?

If I were you I would replace it all as well. Plugs for these are not cheap. I wish I could remember what I just paid to have them done in my truck but I will say I was shocked at the price of parts. Labor is labor unless you do them yourself which isn't that hard on these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2021, 04:02 PM
Wallhanger

Plugs for that model are $8 each, (The Best NGK that Rock Auto shows) the newer plugs are MUCH better than what they were even 10 yrs ago, but I swap my spark plugs every 80 to 100K anyway. With the right tools, some knuckle skin and a little blood it is not that hard to do yourself. If you want to replace the boots and wires, that is the easiest part, that may run you $20 or so more per plug.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThe Woods View Post
If I were you I would replace it all as well. Plugs for these are not cheap. I wish I could remember what I just paid to have them done in my truck but I will say I was shocked at the price of parts. Labor is labor unless you do them yourself which isn't that hard on these.
Want to REALLY be shocked and upset. Look at what your mechanic just charged you for a part and then look up what you could have purchased the part for on Rock Auto.com. I don't begrudge these guys making a profit, but charging me 3.7X what I could buy it for......not anymore!!
I was just quoted over $130 for a part not including labor that I can buy and easily replace myself for under $35.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:05 PM
Slot Fish

Just replaced mine (2013) with motorcraft sp580. The sp580s came pre-gapped at 0.030. Took me less than 1.5 hours. Plugs cost $51 with tax. BTW- there are no boots and wires on an ecoboost - the use coil packs. Not sure what those cost.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:25 PM
Keeper

Yes they do have boots , Part # BL3Z12A402A https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...-12a402-a.html
Old 06-16-2021, 05:46 PM
Keeper

I was quoted 250 to change the plugs in my 5.0 which is rediculously easy to access. I did it my self
Old 06-16-2021, 07:21 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfishpa View Post
Yes they do have boots , Part # BL3Z12A402A https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...-12a402-a.html
Ok. Certainly not a boot and wire in the "old school" sense. My statement was to ensure folks understood they have an ignition pack and are not looking for distributor, wire and boot.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:52 PM
Keeper

Right but from what I have been told by my mechanic ( Independent guy ) because the boots on the plugs can melt from the heat of the engine it will short the coil pack . Haven`t experienced that and don`t want to. Love the truck but boy they are complicated these days .