Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Desktop vs laptop - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Wallhanger

Default Desktop vs laptop

I have 2 desktop computers at home, and an older (Windows 98) laptop. I wanted to upgrade one of the desktops-and it seems that there are very few desktop computers being advertised now. I do not build computers so I don't want to go that route. It seems that the laptops have the same processors/storage/speed as the advertised desktops. Is there any advantage to having a desktop vs a laptop-or vice versa? My desktops are all hardwired for the internet as it worked better than wireless-although I am doing this on the laptop which is not wired. My printers are hardwired also.
Your thoughts????
Walteye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

I make a point of having at least one desktop at home. That's my machine for financial and tax work, running, for example, Quicken and Turbotax. When a machine has my private financial (and other) information on it, I'd rather not carry it outside the house and risk losing it.

My experience with desktops vs. laptops on mechanical reliability is that a desktop is likely to work properly for several years beyond when a laptop develops troubles. My laptops typically need new power supply bricks every 2 years or so, new batteries every 3-4 years. It's harder to clean dust out of laptops and their fans. Laptop plastic parts seem to break more often, the movement of the display cable between motherboard and laptop screen often becomes a problem after 3 years or so. A lot of laptop problems are due to the mechanical stress that happens when the machine is moved around a lot. If you buy a Windows 10 machine today, it would be nice if the computer would work as long as the operating system is supported.

As far as performance, laptops will match all but the very highest end desktops, which are machines that very few people actually buy or need. Desktops do have the advantage that you can mount multiple storage drives in them and the availability of a CD/DVD drive doesn't depend on display size.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 02-27-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Wallhanger

I have 1 desktop, 2 laptops and a tablet. When we travel I use a laptop, but when at home
I use the desktop and tablet. My wife uses the laptop exclusively. Desktops and laptops
both have their place.

The only downside to laptops are the non-solid state harddrives are not nearly
as long lasting as the desktop harddrives. You only need to inspect them to see
the difference. I fix PC's for friends and family and have yet to replace a harddrive
in a desktop. I have replaced at least 5 or 6 laptop harddrives which seem to
last three to four years before they start to die. I am not sure about the reliability
of solid state harddrives, but suggest a laptop that has a solid state harddrive.

For all PC,s, desktop and laptop, I would recommend purchasing an extermal
harddrive, backup software, and periodically save an image of the computer
in the event the harddrive fails. Recovery of the PC will be much easier and
less time consuming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 11:29 AM
Wallhanger

Very few laptops can match the performance of many desktops that is unless you go with one of the higher end gaming systems or a few workstations.
Most laptops employ a lower voltage/wattage CPU and in turn they tend to also run much slower

compare for yourself, then again, most people that are simply doing the basics and internet, don't need much

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/processors,6.html

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html

Last edited by cyber16; 02-27-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I have a desktop in the office and a laptop in the work shop.

However, with the laptop, I use a 23 inch monitor, mouse and stand a lone keyboard.
I put the monitor on a stand, so that the monitor is elevated to the correct height for easy use.

Any time that I see laptop users - using the laptop keyboard and monitor, I always see the users hunched over to use the computer. Not conducive to good posture and not good for your body in any event.

If you want a desktop you can always go to dell or hp and buy the desktop of your choice.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/ContentVie...0051&langId=-1

http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops?~ck=mn

If I travel, I unplug the docking station and use the laptop itself. But, I typically don't use the laptop for long periods if I am traveling.

Be safe
Old 02-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Wallhanger

i do some film editing and it's stone cold insane to do that on a laptop. i've got 6 desktops, 4 running daily. i do different things on each. i've got one laptop (a work station in case i have to edit on the road). Cybers point are on the button. i build my own machines so i'm not sure what the market is like now, but with the popularity of laptops most all the components have shrunk in size considerably. My screen that i use the most is a 30"er. i rarely use the 2 23" or the old 18" anymore (gave the 18" to my daughter and she thinks it's great. the schools do everything on 12s & 14s...

Women and Cats will do as they please.
Men and Dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert Heinlein

dis.ne.fi.ca.tion, (dizíne fi ka shen) Amer, n, v.t., to disnefy; 1. genetic developmental disorder blocking completion of final growth stage of homo sapien.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

I myself like desktops as a main computer. I of course buy iMacs for that hardware. But if I were to buy a MS based PC you really can't beat some of the offerings of Dell that REW put up.

$499 for an i5 with 8GB ram. The link here is to the smaller sized version case which makes sense, why have a massive full sized case now a days. Hard to beat this setup. I would not go lower speced then an i5 processor and 8 GB ram on any machine desktop or laptop.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3252-small-desktop/pd

Last edited by Apple Guy; 02-28-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:08 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Guy View Post
I myself like desktops as a main computer. I of course buy iMacs for that hardware. But if I were to buy a MS based PC you really can't beat some of the offerings of Dell that REW put up.
$499 for an i5 with 8GB ram. The link here is to the smaller sized version case which makes sense, why have a massive full sized case now a days. Hard to beat this setup. I would not go lower speced then an i5 processor and 8 GB ram on any machine desktop or laptop.
can't better advice than this. the one thing that i would add is to get as much ram capacity has you can afford. the programs in the last 3 years have become very RAM hungry.

-Robert Heinlein

dis.ne.fi.ca.tion, (dizíne fi ka shen) Amer, n, v.t., to disnefy; 1. genetic developmental disorder blocking completion of final growth stage of homo sapien.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

The biggest speed bump is having an SSD drive. Apple has their own in almost every Mac now. My iMac is a 2009 with 8GB ram and I put in a OWC SSD drive and my wife's 2007 I put in a Samsung SSD drive. More then fast enough for everyday use. The slow down is in the drive, not as much the ram. But I do agree minimum ram on a new computer is 8 GBs
Old 02-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Wallhanger

i agree completely. SSDs are phenomenal. i didn't mention it becuz it was covered above. i'm only using spinners for archival storage now...

-Robert Heinlein