Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hydraulic steering leak - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-10-2021, 04:03 PM
Wallhanger

Default Hydraulic steering leak

Had to add steering fluid to my seastar steering the other day it was real low. I've had to top it up a couple times over the years so I knew I had a leak but never saw any visible signs, well after doing a google search and watching a couple of videos I found where the leak is and it turns out to be a common spot to leak. It is the end caps on the steering system that connects to the motor. Anyways to make this short, being looking on amazon for the parts and there is all kinds of mixed reviews. Not so much worried about getting the seals but it's the tool that I need to take off the end caps and put new ones on.
Have any of you guys not use the tool or is it an absolute must? I know it would be easier with it. I can get the tool with the cheap seals but do not want to do it twice if I dont have too. I would rather just buy the seastar seals.

Thanks for any info.

Fisherman 1792
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2021, 05:00 AM
Wallhanger

Get the tool, it’s a common problem your probably going have to do it again. Did mine a couple of years ago with the tool. Don’t remember much about it, so must have been easy otherwise would have remembered.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:16 AM
Wallhanger

I'd second getting the tool. Not sure how you could remove the end caps without it, but it probably wouldn't be pretty. I think a kit with seals and tool isn't much more than just the seals. I've had to do mine several times. There's several YouTube videos on how it's done. Pretty easy, just a little messy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2021, 01:37 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks guys, Cant seem to find a place to just buy the tool and order the seals from seastar.
I guess i will have to order a kit with so so seals and hope they workout for a while. Ill be ordering seals from the dealer.

Fisherman 1792
Old 06-12-2021, 05:09 AM
Wallhanger

I got a kit off Amazon with the orange wiper and 8 holes for the scanner wrench. Was recommended to me by Walleye Central guys, 2 years and no problems. Search seastar on this site, it is a common problem.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:42 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks, I ordered all the parts today. Found just the wrench on Amazon and ordered Seastar fittings from seastar.
I've had the boat for 11 years now and dont know if them end caps have ever been replaced.

Fisherman 1792
Old 07-12-2021, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

Just a heads up if you change your seals and need to bleed the system. Get the tube/hose that connects to the fill hole on one end and screws on to a quart container of fluid on the other. If you don't use that method, it's almost impossible to get all the air bled out. I found out the hard way after using about a quart and a half of the fluid and still wasn't clear of air!
Old 07-12-2021, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chysteve View Post
Just a heads up if you change your seals and need to bleed the system. Get the tube/hose that connects to the fill hole on one end and screws on to a quart container of fluid on the other. If you don't use that method, it's almost impossible to get all the air bled out. I found out the hard way after using about a quart and a half of the fluid and still wasn't clear of air!
X2

Please bleed your system before testing on the water.

If done correctly, the change is steering is amazing!

2019 Skeeter WX1910
Old 07-14-2021, 04:20 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks guys, I did have the gear to bleed the system already. The steering is so much better now and no more leaks!

Fisherman 1792
Old 07-14-2021, 10:58 AM
Wallhanger

Glad you got it straightened out. I actually had to change mine again 2 weeks ago. Only 3 or 4 years on the old ones.